Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine

Thread: Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forum I've been a machinist/millwright/fabricator all my life. I've come up with this new machine design it's a 5 Axis CNC moving table (not gantry) I designed to make turbopump impellers for rocket engines (my other hobby/job) I'd like to share the build with you and get criticism and ideas on the project from ya'll.

If this the right forum to present the build? As this is my first post I'm not sure if it's the appropriate place to start this. The build is about 60% complete and I'd like to get your input.

I guess a new guy can't upload a photo or there is a size limit?

Monroe Lee King Jr

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine-20170119_133014_hdr-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine

Looks interesting: the choice of dovetails instead of the hiwin style rails just because you could? The X frame looks plenty chunky side to side but not a lot of meat/leverage front to back for stiffness would be a concern for me. I can't see the 4th/5th axis in the photo - still to come on the head or is there something tricky going on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lol I guess it did upload the image! Here's a photo of the base. The "U" shaped section is 1" thick plate or close to it I had to mill and flycut it a bit.

The base 4x5" bar. Why dovetails? Well IMO dovetails transfer vibration better and I can have control over the bearing surfaces. In other words I can make the bearing surface bigger or smaller depending on what I think is needed for good support.

This is a prototype so being able to change things without redesigning a major section of the machine is a bonus.

I wanted to use Iron but I'm trying it out in steel see how it goes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine-imag0114-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the dovetails - I wouldn't myself but that's more because I like the convenience of getting an accurate rail out of the wrapping and installing it (I'm no machinist, getting something that big to be accurate scares me!). I'd still be tempted to run a couple of big gussets on the "columns" - they'll be nice and stiff sideways but not so much forward/backward both from bending in the column and twisting of the base part as is. Sure, if they're 1" thick they'll be stiffer but your stiffness in Y will only be a fraction of what it is in X.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"an accurate rail out of the wrapping" My thoughts on that would be sure for certain types of machines. This machine is not designed to make light cuts in non ferrous metals and strap on rails would not work in this case.

It has a cheap spindle motor for testing out the design but the head unit is designed to be swapped out with a planetary geared motor as well as a print head and a pick and place head. The ball screws are able to be swapped for multiple start screws and the steppers are to be swapped with servos. I have some AC servos I'd like to try also.

A CO2 Laser is also on the agenda

The holes in the U shape will allow reinforcement to be added if necessary.

The end portion of the mill table is to be the tool changer.

And last I want to experiment with the additive metal process using TIG with inert gas in the enclosure.

So I hope this is the start of a very long thread I waited until I was sure we could get this far before starting the post. We are ready to begin now!

The 4 and 5 Axis are of the trunion table design the final version of this machine will be slightly bigger the work envelope of the machine right now is about 8x8x6 and the final version will be about 12x12x8 I believe.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a danged serious first prototype, can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I just ordered the 4.5x 3.5 chunk of aluminum to make the bearing block for the Z-Axis. It's the beefiest bench top I've seen the table is 3/4" plate blanchard ground. I also need to figure out what bearings to use to mount the base end of the Z screw I'm thinking 2 opposing angle rollers. The screw is ancored on that end so I need those to be preloaded so there is no slop in the screw.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That looks really cool! Good luck with your project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! It's been 20 years in the making! It took 2 years to build a new shop rebuild a South Bend heavy 10 and a Series 2 Bridgeport to get this project rolling. This is going to be my masterpiece and my contribution to the community. All I have learned so far is going into it. I'm still willing to learn some more from you guy's to make it an even better machine!

Thanks again!

Monroe King

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a shot of the Z-Axis bearing block stock we started on today we roughed it out on the Bridgeport hope to finish it on Monday

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine-20170127_111034_hdr-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And just for fun here's a photo from my other hobby/job
    Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine-nse-151-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the Z-Axis bearing block being machined

I'd like to say I'm very excited about the future for machinist and manufacturing in the United States in the coming months. I designed this machine to be affordable and useful to the American people that want to start small manufacturing business to compete in the world markets.

There are plans for this machine to include a conveyor to allow several machines to be used in unison to produce a product.

Harp Fabricator 5 Axis CNC Machine-20170130_151713_hdr-jpg