Build Thread Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill

Hey Kawazuki, I know what you mean about the bridgeport, I have been wanting one for years and only just recently got this one myself. This is the first really project that I have done on the big mill. That is also why I went with the aluminum for the extension because at the time I didn't have the bridgeport, just another x2. I was planning on using it and didn't want to hog out that much steal on a little x2. So since I already had the stock, that is what I went with. If it seems to hurt performance I'll just make it out steal and call it good.

As far as the flex in the column goes, I dont think it will move once I get it all lock together. If you look at this picture the bracing goes all the way to the base and will bolt into the back, once I get around to drilling and tapping those holes. I also fill the column with concrete epoxy to stiffen it up and the steal that I put around it 3/4" thick plate made and is made into a I-Beam and then another 3/4" peace welded to that witch goes down to the base and give the column two point of connection. If it does want to flex I can always add arms that go to base itself but at this point I don't think I will need it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-07-17-10-23-jpg  
    Last edited by dannyrocci; 08-07-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I decided that I better start working on the stand for this mill as I'm getting closer to finishing out the machining work and need a place to put it all together other then my welding table. Not finished yet but have the basic stand built and so far pretty happy with how its turning out. The stand itself is 27 1/2" by 40 1/2" and mostly of 2x3 thick wall tubing. I plan on using my existing enclosure to fit on top, I do still need to have some Z flashing made up to seal the enclosure to the base and finish up the coolant return. Here is a couple of picture of the stand as it sits now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-07-17-14-41-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-07-17-15-33-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-07-19-13-40-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-07-19-14-44-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got my new controller in this week and got it mounted in a temporary stand, while I figure out all of the wiring. The unit is Adtech 4640 and so far it seems like it will work nicely. I was never that much of a fan of mach 3, so I thought I would try this controller and see if I like it better. It seems like it will do everything that I will need of it and more. I have been able to get me servo motor turning, still need to get the spindle motor going, hopefully that will go smoothly and then I'll connecting all of my inputs and outputs.

If anyone has experience with this unit, I would love to here your thought good and bad.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-08-11-08-28-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-08-06-19-20-59-jpg  
    Last edited by dannyrocci; 08-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a pretty amazing transformation! Looking forward to seeing it all finished up. Curious...what Clearpath motors are you using?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12