Build Thread THE GRIZZ - Page 16

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GRIZZ

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THE GRIZZ

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP View Post
    What about hogging a new saddle out of durabar cast iron. It is not a huge chuck of iron, and there are not that many features on it.
    Mark
    Mark,

Thank you for the note. Durabar would certainly be an option. If I raise the table off the saddle just a tad, there is plenty of room for the linear bearing blocks and both saddle and table retain most of their mass. If I was going to do the Y axis with linear rails, a new saddle, possibly made of Durabar would the ticket for sure. I know many are scratching their heads, wondering why we don't do the Y axis too...maybe later. There has to be a end to the mod's or the kitty will run dry...it's already on life support. I feel like having a big sign made and hanging it on the shop wall...it would read "Remember, it's a little $1200 dollar Chinese mill".

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Mark,

Thank you for the note. Durabar would certainly be an option. If I raise the table off the saddle just a tad, there is plenty of room for the linear bearing blocks and both saddle and table retain most of their mass. If I was going to do the Y axis with linear rails, a new saddle, possibly made of Durabar would the ticket for sure. I know many are scratching their heads, wondering why we don't do the Y axis too...maybe later. There has to be a end to the mod's or the kitty will run dry...it's already on life support. I feel like having a big sign made and hanging it on the shop wall...it would read "Remember, it's a little $1200 dollar Chinese mill".

Stuart
    Well, if you think about it, that import mill probably has less than $100 of raw materials in it. You just need about $10million in machinery and facility to create a $1200 mill!

Downloads
    Uploads

Placed a order with Motion Constrained for the Hiwin linear rails, tracking says they should arrive this Friday... spent some time with a dial test indicator "mapping" the table out on the surface plate and discussing different machining / setup strategy for the upcoming "x-conversion". Made some more progress on the head sheet metal today... I am a little fried on sheet metal work right now so its taking a little longer than normal!

- Nick

(a few snaps from bending up the soon to be head cover.....)

(a improvised brake( flat bar + vise grips).... it worked a "reel" treat!)

(the tin around the hydraulic line clamp is clearanced for when the draw bar cylinder moves up and down)

(damn, fuzzy picture.... this appears to be all the photos i took today......I will snap a few close ups tomorrow when i finish.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings earthlings...

In anticipation of Fridays delivery, "Stuart and I"... actually.... other than holding the vacuum and offering endless criticisms i did "nothing" ... .... .. ... .. The dovetails where successfully removed from the underside of the table! Most of the time spent working on the table was not actually machining time, it was setup..... After a few hours of indicating, shimming, clamping and several sanity checks later, Stuart was pleased & confident with his setup and fixturing of the "banana" table on the mill! It was refreshing to not find any nasty casting voids in the table as well! Hiwin HGH 15 rails and cars will be used, a datum was machined for the reference rail ( we installed the Z axis rails the same way using a milled datum and it made for dead simple rail alignment using a indicator). Thr cars are going to be fastened from the underside, requiring two holes (4mm) per car be drilled past the Y gib area. It will not impinge on the gib itself..... does that make sense? The other option was to use flanged cars... flanged cars are wider and would of required complete removal of dovetail, 2 votes for drilling holes in dovetails, 0 votes for flanged cars. Lets drill boys!!!

- Nick

(the "last word"... was a bit "sketchy" so it was shelved in favor of a mo-betta one!!!)

(YEEEEE a video! thumbs up dude!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Good call not to remove the dovetails completely. Stronger this way.

Why didn't you drill the mounting holes in the same setup?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the decision to give up .100 is a smart one. You probably won't miss it on most projects and just anything where it becomes an issue can still be done on the Bridgeport potentially.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Good call not to remove the dovetails completely. Stronger this way.

Why didn't you drill the mounting holes in the same setup?
    Good question. We don't have the rails yet. Factory specs tell us the first hole in the rail is 20mm from an end but our supplier is sending custom, cut to length rails and I'm not sure the factory 20mm spec holds true in this case. They'll be here in two days and it's real easy to line the rails up for drilling so..it wasn't a big deal.

Stuart

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This has got to be the most epic G0704 conversion of all time. Seems like as time goes on there won't be a single piece of the original machine left at some point!

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy Wednesday! Spent some time today wrapping up the sheet metal that covers the draw bar and head... It feels good to be done with anymore major sheet metal work.... starting to feel like a body shop round here!! lol.... Planning on cutting the saddle for the linear rails as soon as they show up this week......... Iam sure there are other things to do in the mean time.

- Nick

(a special treat just for you!! subscribe bro!!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Pyronaught View Post
    This has got to be the most epic G0704 conversion of all time. Seems like as time goes on there won't be a single piece of the original machine left at some point!
    Thanks. I called Grizzly and asked them If I could return all the parts we took off the machine for credit...they hung up on me! I'll take that as a no.

Can't wait for paint and final assembly, it should be fun.

Stuart & Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

oh no, he got loose in the shop with the camera again!!! I will let the video do most of the talking ( hehe )

(and just because....)

( FYI, the surface finish on the X dovetails of the saddle are not factory... once the decision to convert to linear rails was made, Stuart was curious as to what kind of surface finish he could achieve (dry) on the Chinese cast iron using the surface grinder, knowing they would be removed later.... he was surprised by what he got... this gives him hopes the table will turn out as well )

(bead blast, wash, brake clean,wire brush,acetone... I dipped a carbide burr around randomly to chowder up the surface for maximum "tooth" )

(i drizzled some epoxy on the old x dovetail oil groves as a little experiment... to see how the Devcon bonds to unprepared metal. Notice the tape dams on the end of the saddle, i was surprised by how runny this stuff was, anything but a flat surface and the epoxy need some form of "support" til it firms up.)

(uhhhh.......)

Downloads
    Uploads

Boo hoo...we received the package from Motion Constrained with our groovy Hiwin rails, etc. What could go wrong you ask. Someone in Colorado was smoking the devils cabbage and shipped the wrong stuff. I'm sure they will correct their mistake but we were primed and ready to stick all the components together and silently slide the table back and forth. Maybe later....

Stuart

Last edited by atomarc; 06-24-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello! Motion constrained shipped out the correct linear rail cars today (should arrive in 3 days from Colorado). In the meantime focus has shifted to the machine interface. Spent yesterday proofing out ideas for possible hinges...... Today the two hinges were completed, the next step is to mill out the piece of bar stock for the switches as well as the bores for the keyboard and monitor "piviots". Once the fiber washers and pivot are greased and "pre-loaded" it provides a nice, smooth (think laptop screen hinge) yet firm "hinge-ing" action! ..... Tomorrows plan is to machine the pocket for the switches and bore the 2 holes for the pivots.

- Nick

(hummmmm...... )

(picture was taken after the tail stock was pulled back lol)

(tapping hole for countersunk bolt that retains / tensions the pivot)

(something like this. holes are for the next step.... affix duh tubes!!!)

(tada!!)

(when you fail to drill the pin hole in the end of the sleeve before silver soldering a 18" tube to it! if you don't first succeed....... )

(the complete tubes... pivots... hinges... what ever you call them)

(yes... pictures with sound!!!!) like!

Downloads
    Uploads

Had some fun in front of the mill today... things are moving right along on the machine interface.. Stuart and "I" are pretty stoked on how things are turning out thus far. - Nick

(no lathe was used.... but i liked the picture.... i like pictures.. )

(the only place left to go is up!!! )

Last edited by atomarc; 06-29-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Things are taking shape........ Saweet!

( bright and early this morning I re -"attacked" )

(after getting the basic pocket roughed out)

(then some fat was trimmed... the swoopy bits are for the face plate screws....or the threads for the screws? )

( #nocnc .........yet! )

(before wrapping up for the day, I started removing the next parts or material.... (on the ends) )

(what will become the face plate...... ummmmm billet!!!! )

- Nick

Last edited by atomarc; 06-29-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

For some unknown reason, all the pictures in post #314 are no longer visible to me..they were yesterday? Pretty weird, huh!

Stuart

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No pics in #314 or #315 for me either... the suspense is killing me

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerinc View Post
    No pics in #314 or #315 for me either... the suspense is killing me
    Well...hell! Now all the #315 pix have disappeared for me too...they were there when I posted 45 minutes ago. Something is rotten in the Zone, methinks. Nick tells me that the pictures are actually hosted by Google, does that sound right?

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Nick re-posted those two threads and all the pix appear for me now.....how about your views?

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

It was a good Thursday!!! Santa in the brown suit came bearing presents! Motion constrained came through, as promised, with the correct linear rails.... planning on wrapping up the x conversion soon now that the rails and cars are in hand. Started machining what will become the top of the "switch box", also removed some more material from the main body (still need to drill and tap various holes....screws,wires, USB, hinges etc.....) ...... "yeaahh" (say like the boss from office space)

(p.s i really enjoy sharing / documenting via picture & video..... ... If you see a blank space instead of a picture, please let me know so i can fix it ....due to the fact that cnc zone has a limited window of time to edit i.e FIX posts or broken links!)

- Nick

(started off the morning right, cutting a 45 on a tight inner pocket..... for a easy wire transition to the cord grip)

(stock for the "lid"..... 1/2" x 3" x 18")

(nice!!!!!! lol)

(the lid is now .125 thick in...... nice free hand work nick!! )

(the top and bottom as of now.... still have some exterior corner rounding work to do)

(its silly how light the bar of aluminum is now! mucho chips )

(after many "dabs" we have success!!!.....)

Last edited by atomarc; 06-30-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast