Build Thread THE GRIZZ - Page 2

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GRIZZ

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THE GRIZZ

I have always thought it would be a lot of work to get all the oil lines run. That is a really clean job.

I'm looking at the Y nut system. It does allow you to have the fill line come where ever you want.

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    I have always thought it would be a lot of work to get all the oil lines run. That is a really clean job.

I'm looking at the Y nut system. It does allow you to have the fill line come where ever you want.
    Dave,

Thanks for the note. This WAS a lot of work, and I'm not sure how well it will function. There are no metering valves and the plumbing is basically all the same size, so it may mean that in order to properly lubricate the far flung ways, the ones nearer the pump will be oozing gobs of oil. That's OK..it's a real basic system built more for looks than flawless oiling, but there is no doubt that it will keep things oiled.

Not sure what you mean on the Y nut lubrication. All 3 ball nuts will be greased versus oiled. X and Y are supplied by the same single Zerk while Z will have a different setup..haven't done that one yet. Both the X and Y nuts were real difficult to plumb and required homemade adapters and clearance to the underside of the table. Again, this system isn't perfect but I think the grease will make it to the screws just fine.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Today's task was to machine all of the oil grooves in the saddle and gibs. It went pretty well, started with laying some guide lines out on the saddle and proceded to use a 1/8 inch carbide ball endmill to machine .045 deep oil channels.

(duh-tool)

keep her between the lines..

The end mill "worked a treat".... only broke one! note to self, don't crash the tool into the part when the machine is off.

And what the finished product looks like (both sides are the same)

The final piece of the oil channel puzzle was the internal ways adjacent to each gib, I looked through the draws of cutters and decided to use a key way cutter. All in all I'm happy with how it worked and it seemed more elegant that using a thin cut off wheel.

(you can imagine the cutter only cuts with the upper most corner, forming a nice "V-ish" looking oil channel)

(it was rather difficult to try in get a good view, going to have to take my word that it worked..... )

Up next was to address the tapered gibs. I needed to drill and hole though them and add some channels for the oil to "disperse". I assembled the saddle and table and adjusted the gibs till they where tight. Center punch gib through oil feed hole in saddle. Drilled and then chamfered both sides of the through hole in gib. Then i used the same 1/8" ball end-mill i used on the saddle and made some grooves about 3/4" long. I made the through hole slightly over sized and added some short channels to account for any adjustment / misalignment down the road.

I clamped the tapered gibs together back to back so they would be "semi flat" when i went to mill the oil channels

(if you don't own at least one set of these little clamps you don't know what your missing)

(Milling little oil channel in gib)

Clamping...

(the business side of the gib)

(the back side of gib) The thought behind the small groves on either side of the through hole where to allow for slight misalignment & adjustment to happen without cutting off the supply of oil.

(peeking under the saddle looking up at the Y gib)

And last but certainly not least.... I give you the "crème de la Chen Ying" lol. This is the oil pump that will feed the "grizz" I have a one shot pump just like this (including the chen ying part) on another machine and it works really well! So i have high hopes for this here pump....

What do you mean you aint got no Chen Ying!?

Thanks for following along! more to come.....

Downloads
    Uploads

I really hope I'm misunderstanding your oiling system.... It appears to me you're either running all the oiling circuits in series, or perhaps just all feeding off common manifolds? If either of these is true, it is not going to work. The oil will take the path of least resistance, which means the oil will all go to the first outlet, and the one further away from the source will never get oiled. This is why oiling systems always contain some form of flow-control, to balance the delivery to all the circuits.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I really hope I'm misunderstanding your oiling system.... It appears to me you're either running all the oiling circuits in series, or perhaps just all feeding off common manifolds? If either of these is true, it is not going to work. The oil will take the path of least resistance, which means the oil will all go to the first outlet, and the one further away from the source will never get oiled. This is why oiling systems always contain some form of flow-control, to balance the delivery to all the circuits.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray,

Thanks for the note...I had a feeling I'd hear from you. You haven't misunderstood, they are running off a common manifold, just like my Bridgeport does, and with no flow control or metering valves either. You're absolutely correct, the oil will take the path of least resistance, but in the end, all points will get oiled, some more than others, but all will get oil. I'd say we accomplished what we set out to do, a low-tech but functional oiling system for a machine that came from the factory with no oiling system.

As we use the system and if it becomes obvious there is a serious lack of oil at the points furthest from the pump, simple restrictions can be installed in the lines nearer the pump...no rocket science here!

Stuart

Last edited by atomarc; 12-24-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never seen a Bridgeport without metering/check valves in every circuit. In fact, I've never seen ANY machine with a multi-circuit single-point oiler that didn't have metering and check valves to balance the flows. I can tell you from personal experience it will work VERY poorly without some explicit flow control. The pressures are very low, and without metering valve, once the oil is past the first port, there will be essentially zero pressure to any downstream ports.

That said.... Personally, I think single-point oilers are basically a PITA. Most are near useless. I ripped all mine out, and replaced the whole system with individual feeds to each oiling point, and all the lines leading to a single multi-way selector valve (14 ways in my case) fed by a pressurized oil reservoir. I can now control exactly how much oil goes to each circuit, and how often, and have NO metering or check valves to clog and fail. It works sooooooo much better....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray,

It's a done deal now so were going to keep our fingers crossed...sort of treat it like the main bearing lube system on a '55 Chevy...one pump with lots of holes and plenty of oil to all. I'll take pix and report back.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Ray,

It's a done deal now so were going to keep our fingers crossed...sort of treat it like the main bearing lube system on a '55 Chevy...one pump with lots of holes and plenty of oil to all. I'll take pix and report back.

Stuart
    One REALLY big difference - that Chevy has a lot of pressure, and a TONS of flow rate. It's designed to be "leaky", and will always deliver far more oil than needed. This oiling system is low pressure, and VERY low flow.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray,

We're going to use the oil pump out of a '57 Bel Air...and lots of absorbent pads. We have a 'git-r-done' attitude up here in the land of the Redwoods.

Merry Christmas.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, a one shot oiler is pretty high pressure. Upwards of 200 psi, but it is low volume.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the Z axis screw fit and running true today. Put the column onto the base to start planning for a motor mount and pulley diameters / belt length. Its exciting to see the project taking shape!

Downloads
    Uploads

Did some work on the motor mount arrangement..... Got the "foundation" laid so now i can figure out what the plan will be for the rest of it.... Used the pre existing M6x1 holes on the head casting to mount the aluminum rails.

Downloads
    Uploads

That motor mounting will help stiffen your head spacer.

Keep the updates coming.

I'm envious of the access to a bigger mill. I'd do a lot of mods to my machine if I had access to another mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the note. None of this would have been imaginable if didn't have the larger machine to build the smaller machine..sort of ironic in a way. Watching this Grizz make parts all by itself will be a new treat for me. I'm used to turning handles to make things happen.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Friday update. Worked on the motor mount and rails. Made some clearance for the soon to be pulley on the motor.

(cutting rails on motor mount)

(milled cutouts for clearance.... should give room for the motor pulley and some adjustment back for belt tension)

(showing the recess previously machined. plate will fit between the rails)

(picture shows the 80mm counter-bore that the motor to sits in)

Downloads
    Uploads

Saturday - Finished the motor pulley hub. We made the hub out of steel, broached a key way slot in it, drilled and tapped some holes for the pulley to bolt to it. The hub is a shrink fit onto the motor shaft. I'm sure the shrink fit would of been more than enough to prevent any movement of they pulley, but the motor shaft came pre-tapped for a M6 bolt so a washer was made for the end of the shaft to finish it all off.

(Hub after being broached)

(setting up to index the 3 tapped holes of the hub)

(Finished hub after being shrink fit to motor shaft)

(Picture shows the "end cap" retainer.... (nice surface grinder finish!!!!))

(making square aluminum round aluminum)

(the now round aluminum that will become 2 pulleys)

Thanks! More to come tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished the spindle pulley today. Over all it turned out pretty well, ground a piece of high speed steel to cut the ribs on the pulley. The pulley goes over what use to be the gears / quill spline thingy, and stabilizes the the splined shaft by fixing it all together. There are 3 pieces of drill rod in the pulley that key it to the splined shaft. The draw bar nut that has yet to be made will thread onto the shaft and hold the pulley down.....

(machining pulley blank)

(freshly parted off pulley on expanding mandrel ready to face)

(3 "key" pin holes made with a 5/16 endmill)

(finished pulley with pins installed)

(you get the idea.... pulley is not all the way down on the shaft, its a snug fit fully seated)

(insert spinning noise here)

(this is the recess in the underside of the pulley that fits perfectly over the O.D. of the quill drive "barrel')

(showing what the recess in the underside of the pulley fits over)

(and...... "Bob's your uncle")

(remember, when you are measuring for belts, its half the circumference.... not half the diameter!!! lol, ask me how i know. "opens package... WOW, that belt looks really short.... that can't be right.... DOH!)

Thanks!!!

Last edited by atomarc; 01-03-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are the photos showing up?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes looks good. I like that you attached the quill splines for your pulley!

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast