Build Thread THE GRIZZ

Page 1 of 37 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GRIZZ

Downloads
    Uploads

Default THE GRIZZ

Bought a G0704 a few months ago... In the process of doing a CNC conversion on it.

The plan.

- hiwin linear rails on Z axis
    - 2 inch head & column spacer
    - 1hp 3 phase 56c motor
    - belt drive
    - double nut ball screws
    - oil system for ways
    - grease system for screws
    -power draw-bar (air over hydraulic)
    - flood coolant

Electronics.

- Mach 4
    - intel NUC
    - ESS smoothstepper
    - mx3660 driver
    - 48v 12.5amp power supply
    - nema 23 570oz stepper (x/y)
    - nema 34 906oz stepper (z)
    - hitachi VFD (modbus)

Fresh off the boat....

The hiwin linear rails where the first task to be tackled. 15mm CA preload. Milled off the dovetails in the kneemill. Turned out really great.....

Milling the Z axis slide for the linear rail "cars"

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THE GRIZZ

Z axis slide milled and drilled for the linear rail cars.

Now comes the head spacer. Started with a hunk of 2 inch mic-6 aluminum.

After some milling... pay no attention the minor mess up lol (started to bore hole in the wrong place!) we where able to recover nicely in the end!

gettin there...

there we are!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Column spacer.... started off with a big chunk of steel. used an equally large face mill to get it to size and then off to the surface grinder it went. The column spacer is keyed to the base of the milling machine and has 2 additional cap screws to hold it in place while putting the main column bolts in.

setting up the base to mill key slot.

Downloads
    Uploads

key slot cut and two spacer block retaining bolts drilled and tapped

bolted on to the base.

Downloads
    Uploads

some other random tidbits.

turned off the gear portion of the quill drive "barrel" (more on this when its time to make the belt drive)

set screw holes that lock the quill from moving.

made a wrench for one of the spindle bearings.

some new extended head bolts. turned the heads of the bolts down. ground some flats on some thick washers, and brazed them together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Today i made some headway on the x & y ball-nut grease setup. it has been a struggle to fit everything nicely under the table and not have it look like a drunken madman attacked it with miles of tubing. one grease zerk on the side of the saddle feeds both x and y ball-nuts. There will be a separate system attached to a "one shot" oilier for the ways....

cleaned up the underside of the table and made some clearence for one of the fittings feeding the ball nuts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Purchased a 4in "cnc" vise.... i believe it was a shars. Overall i was happy with the quality, the one thing that really bothered me was how horrible the screw fit in the base of the vise. When it was all said and done i i added a thrust bearing to the outside, made a new collar / bearing holder and bushed the shaft part of the screw... also moved the grease zerk to the front of the vise. It was a fun little project. Now i have a semi nice feeling Chinese vise! haha

Downloads
    Uploads

just recieved my VFD in the mail today. Does anyone know if i will need any specific hardware to interface between the VFD and MACH? thanks!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Really nice work on the 704.

Generally the Z is fairly good on the 704 with the head being light and the Z slide being nice and long but you made fitting the rails look like a two hour project and they fit quite nice. Super clean.

Did the oil fitting on the X clear the table, Its so tight under there?

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,

You're right..space is really limited in the X axis under the table. I had to get really creative with the fitting size and position to get them to fit..even with that, you can see in post #6 that I had to relieve the underside to the table a hair. It would be cool if the rotational position of the X axis nut was skewed one hole over so the oil hole would lay down a bit more which would make for a more compact arrangement.

I built a new Y axis nut retainer that has a oil hole and o-ring arrangement to be able to mount the fitting in a different location. It is also pictured in post #6.

Getting the lubrication plumbing to be functional and yet look clean isn't a 5 minute job..I still have all the plumbing for the ways to figure out.

The ball nuts are tapped for M6 X 1.0...this couldn't be a more difficult thread configuration to find fittings for and the hardness of the ball nut precludes any modification..as least by me!

I will add this. The ball screw assemblies came from Dave at 'arizonavideo' and he bent over backwards to make sure everything was just as ordered. A true gentleman.

Stuart Miller

Downloads
    Uploads

To rotate the X nut would help to leave room for the Zerk but the mounting would have to change requiring to mill and tap the Y slide.

For oil I was thinking a plastic tube of the right size to tap to M6 and then put a wire in it to prevent it from kinking then use a heat gut to make a sharp bend.

What is your plan for the belt drive?

Downloads
    Uploads

For the belt drive..I ordered a J section, 4 rib poly belt just to see what it looked like in person. It's the right scale for the machine and will handle the HP just fine. I have read the poly sheaves are easy to make so I'm going to give that a go. The spindle sheave will be a tap fit onto the OD of the splined shaft on the spindle and will also fit down into the ID of that large upper bearing. This plan seems like it will stabilize the upper end of that long splined shaft, giving it more rigidity.

The driven pulley OD will be based on the available room for the driver OD pulley, and such that it give me a ratio of around 1.44:1..but also allows me a center distance for a off the shelf belt.

These are my plans..we'll see what reality brings! The timing belt drive was my first choice but my son has read there is more noise associated with it and above all, I'll like this little Chinese bucket of bolts to run smoothly and quietly.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

I ground a tool to cut the J belt groves. I think is was 23deg angle. The stock profile has a flat bottom but this made the cutter wonder when you started to cut so I changed to a point.

I have done a bunch of pulleys.

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/ar...64043.jpg.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,

Wow....those look absolutely beautiful, and the tensioning method is very clean. It isn't "Grizz" though, is it...a little larger machine with some elbow room, still very nice. I'll keep the form tool shape in mind when I start to make some pulleys, thanks.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some photos showing the X & Y lubrication clearance under the table. The rough cast corner radius of the underside of the table was cleaned up with a ball endmill. One of the criteria for the screw and way lubrication system was that it had to look clean and not like a after thought..... hopefully all the hard work will pay off!

The photos below show how the Y nut mount incorporates a passage for the grease to pass through into the nut. I put a chamfer on the Y nut with a carbide spade drill that a o-ring sits in... to seal between the nut and nut mount.

top view of Y nut mount (showing where lube comes in...)

(hole through Y mount)

Chamfer in Y nut for o-ring to live

O-ring sitting in chamfer

Y nut and mount...

Y nut and mount in final position..

and finally some closer shots of the X & Y fittings and lines (put a Y push to connect fitting in there in order to feed both nuts via one zerk)

Last edited by atomarc; 12-11-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: THE GRIZZ

Did some brain storming on the oiling system for the ways of the mill today. I belive we have a game plan now.... involving some manifold, holes and some copper tubing. Made a fitting out of some brass, counterbored 6/32 cap screw to hold it on to the side of the saddle, the copper tube will be soldered to the fitting and a o-ring and short section of tubing willl go into the saddle...

started with a chunk of brass.

machine a little..

and "bobs your uncle".

More to come soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

The man in the big brown truck dropped off the latest ebay score! $125 brand new , leeson 1hp 3 phase IEC motor. Below are some photos showing the size and weight difference between a 1HP 56C motor and the new leeson IEC motor. The physical overall size difference between the two motors was refreshingly surprising.

Last edited by atomarc; 12-17-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Made some progress today on one shot oil system for the machine ways. It consists of plates that bolt on either side of the saddle, they have oil galleys running though them to lube the X & Y ways, the non gibb side of the y has a hold drilled through it to connect front and back plates.... its sorta hard to tell from the pictures whats going on so if you have any questions feel free. The external oil galley plates seal to their corresponding holes on the saddle with orings. The single push to connect fitting on the back will be connected to the one shot pump.

Front of saddle

Set screws will plug the holes used to drill all the galleys.

Picture showing how oil comes through the y way and connects to the x. o rings sit in recesses to seal it all up.

The back plate where the oil will come in. (It was a real biotch to drill the long hole through this lil sucker)

Picture showing how the gib side of the y gets oil through the copper line.

The brass fitting seals to the saddle using the same #5 orings as the rest of the system.

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is fantastic work!
    Keep it up and keep the pictures coming.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks..my son Nick is doing the work, taking the pictures and posting here and I think he's doing a first rate job. Can't wait to finish the mock up so we can paint, assemble and see how a little CNC machine is suppose to work.

Stuart

Page 1 of 37 123411 ... LastLast