Build Thread THE GRIZZ - Page 4

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GRIZZ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THE GRIZZ

Hey man,

I feel certain the thread on top of your spindle was M20X1 (metric) and not 3/4-16, so it might not have been messed up...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gcofieldd View Post
    Hey man,

I feel certain the thread on top of your spindle was M20X1 (metric) and not 3/4-16, so it might not have been messed up...
    You are absolutely correct...the thread on the spindle WAS 20mm X 1.0...but any more. The factory thread was somehow cut out of parallel (?) with the axis of the spindle and would not allow a threaded piece to sit flat on my poly pulley. I dialed the spindle in on the lathe and cut a new thread...3/4" X 16 and now everything is square, plumb and proper.

How those factory threads were cut out of whack is beyond me. I machined a disc and single pointed internal 20mmX1.0 threads in it, screwed it onto the spindle...it wobbled like a drunken sailor.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    You are absolutely correct...the thread on the spindle WAS 20mm X 1.0...but any more. The factory thread was somehow cut out of parallel (?) with the axis of the spindle and would not allow a threaded piece to sit flat on my poly pulley. I dialed the spindle in on the lathe and cut a new thread...3/4" X 16 and now everything is square, plumb and proper.

How those factory threads were cut out of whack is beyond me. I machined a disc and single pointed internal 20mmX1.0 threads in it, screwed it onto the spindle...it wobbled like a drunken sailor.

Stuart
    If you are going to run it at high rpm, I recommend assembling everything with a tool holder in place and turn the whole shebang true to the spindle center, collet, drawbar, bellvilles and all, makes a big difference when that top pull hat assembly is concentric!

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris,

Yes..that's what we're doing, although I'm picking off the OD of the bearing fits for my reference as the hole for the factory draw bar going up through the spindle looks like it was made with a rat tail file. I think my maximum spindle speed will be just over 4000 but I still want everything as true as I can get it. I don't think it's a wise idea to mess with the Bellevilles in any way. Being a spring, they're tough to begin with and they have smooth polished edges that need to remain intact...I wouldn't touch them myself.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris,

Yes..that's what we're are doing, although I'm picking off the OD of the bearing fits for my reference as the hole for the factory draw bar going up through the spindle looks like it was made with a rat tail file. I think my maximum spindle speed will be just over 4000 but I still want everything as true as I can get it. I don't think it's a wise idea to mess with the Bellevilles in any way. Being a spring, they're tough to begin with and they have smooth polished edges that need to remain intact...I wouldn't touch them myself.

Stuart
    Doesn't effect them in the least, its the outer edge and they machine like butter. Helps in aligning them, once they are aligned they pretty much stay there unless you unbolt the stack. Certainly your peragative, but it's worthwhile having Everything aligned perfectly. A little unbalance up that high will make the spindle wobble and it will show in your finishes. It also will make keeping everything up there aligned more difficult as the stack will want to shift around and like you said the draw bar bore isn't a ground opening with a tight fit so there is room for everything to shift. The top hat hopefully has a good close tolerance fit to help and the drawbar should fit snug to the belville ID to keep them aligned but without them binding when compressed I know your figuring this out on your own, but sometimes it's wise to stand on the shoulders of those who have blazed the trail previously. 😁 May save you some time and frustration.

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stuart
    Ah, gotcha. You are doing good stuff. I am enjoying your build. I wish I had a Bridgeport at home...makes things a lot easier and cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Super cool G build...no need to post pictures of mine any longer. This is one of the best of seen and makes me rethink some (a lot) of what I've already done!

Keep up the excellent work.

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    Super cool G build...no need to post pictures of mine any longer. This is one of the best of seen and makes me rethink some (a lot) of what I've already done!

Keep up the excellent work.

WW
    wildwhl - Thanks for the "kudos"! And please, whatever you do, keep the pictures coming... everybody loves picture!

Last edited by atomarc; 02-17-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: THE GRIZZ

A quick Thursday update.....

After cutting the new 3/4-16 threads on the spindle a new top hat needed to be made with the corresponding threads.... The following photos show the progress of the top hat being made. (The bottom flange of the "top hat" is what will retain the 3 dowel pins that key the spindle pulley to the spindle)

(stock after being bored, counter bored and threaded)

(turning O/D of the top hat)

(using a 5c collet holder... drilled 2 holes in the top hat for a pin spanner)

(the top hat screwed onto the spindle!!!!!)

(getting there, slowly but surely!)

(Here is a picture showing generation / iteration 1 - 3 of the top hats....)

Thats all for tonight! This being a father son project I want to give a shout out....Paw, thanks for everything you do! I really appreciate and value our time together and look forward to more.

- Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Stuart & Nick, you all are doing absolutely fantastic work on this conversion! I can't wait to see the completed PDB, I am sure it will be a cut above the rest like everything else you have done.

Nick, you are blessed to have a father like Stuart. I wish my father was more interested in this type of work, I think I just bore him to death jabbering about it, but he does listen!

- Kurt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ View Post
    Stuart & Nick, you all are doing absolutely fantastic work on this conversion! I can't wait to see the completed PDB, I am sure it will be a cut above the rest like everything else you have done.

Nick, you are blessed to have a father like Stuart. I wish my father was more interested in this type of work, I think I just bore him to death jabbering about it, but he does listen!

- Kurt
    Kurt,

Don't pump Nick up too much...his head will swell up and he won't help his poor old dad with the "tech" stuff that dad knows nothing about.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Worked on the draw bar some more today. Made the plate that will hold the hydraulic cylinder, also started on the bottom plate. If everything works out we hope to test the draw bar by Sunday! Finger crossed...

(the plate that bolts to the cylinder)

(plate mated up to the cylinder. It was very rewarding when all the holes lined up and fit like a glove)

(something like this...........)

(this will become the bottom "gripper" part that contacts the top hat)

(the bottom plate slid under the top hat in its approximate position)

Downloads
    Uploads

After some careful measuring and a touch of head scratching.... The draw bar is made of a piece of 4140, the top portion with the wrench flats was threaded and glued on with loctite, then turned to the correct outside dimensions. Pretty happy with how everything turned out today, next come some side plates to hold this whole thing together so we can see if its all going to work!!!

(drilling what is to become the "top nut" portion of the draw bar)

(roughed out and tapped, ready to thread onto the draw bar)

(raw stock for the grizz draw bar next to a spare Bridgeport draw bar)

(cutting threads for collet end of draw bar)

(completed wrench end of draw bar)

(collet end of draw bar.... purdy)

(hey! look at that, it fits the TTS collet!!)

(the larger top portion of the draw bar fits the I.D of the bellville stack and also centers/guides the draw bar through the top hat)

(somewhere around 4000 lbs of drawbar tension)

(lower "griper" part of draw bar showing how much the whole draw bar should have to move when activated....)

(the boss is very happy with today's progress)

Thanks!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it Sunday yet? Great work.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok ok... ran into a snag, taking the hydraulic intensifier apart, one of the cylinder seals was ruined in the process, so no power draw bar live action this weekend! Going to get the replacement seal on order soon. Roughed out some aluminum for the uprights of the draw bar, did some brain storming and shop cleanup and will pick up fresh tomorrow. Now for the most important part... pictures!!!!!

(the intensifier taken apart)

(the bum seal..... )

(ummmmm billet..)

(after roughing out the blocks we set all the parts and pieces together to see what our next plan of attack is)

(something like this.... the beautiful artwork showing what has to happen next...)

More tomorrow.

Last edited by atomarc; 02-19-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not a lot to report... Continued working on the draw bar mount... Drilled and tapped some holes... call it a "lazy monday" Now that the draw bar mount is bolted together i plan on "carving" it up a little, to make it less silly looking..

(drilling holes in top plate)

(edge finding before drilling and tapping for 1/4 - 20 fasteners)

(top)

(countersunk fasteners for the bottom. The 2 holes in the middle are for the shoulder bolts / springs that the draw bar pops up on)

(this shoulder bolt will have a home very soon!)

- Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello CNC zone! Today we tested the draw bar under power.... it went pretty well for the most part, there are a few things that will require tweaking... the hydraulic cylinder return spring needs to be stronger and the piston oring needs to be changed out for a higher pressure rated one. Some fine tuning and she should be good to go! Here are some photos and a video from the last few days of work. Enjoy!

(machined some side cutouts for the shoulder / guide bolts to pass through)

(the underside of the draw bar)

(tapping holes in rail for guide bolts)

("the guide pin has landed")

(the guide pin spring(s)... nice and firm.)

(the draw bar all mounted up and ready to test!)

(I also got a quick video of the draw bar in action)

Downloads
    Uploads

Not much has been going on with the "grizz" build lately. Waiting on the hydraulic intensifier parts / solution to arrive. Went down to the shop today and messed around and tied up a few loose ends... the little things!

(when testing the draw bar i noticed the back side of the bottom plate was flexing under pressure so i added some reinforcement that bolts on after the draw bar is installed)

(while i had the 45 degree cutter in the machine i hit the front and back edge of the top plate)

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that back reinforcement bar is a great addition.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I think that back reinforcement bar is a great addition.
    When the drawbar cylinder applied 4000 pounds to the washers you could see the joint between the base plate and the rear legs of the uprights open up ever so slightly..probably only a few thousandths of movement. We thought that little stiffener was a real cheap fix for that flexing. Deflection is a fact of life when you apply force to something like this. I worked with a engineer that used to say " when a fly lands on a railroad track there is deflection..you just can't measure it".

Stuart

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast