FINALLY starting G0704 conversion...

Thread: FINALLY starting G0704 conversion...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FINALLY starting G0704 conversion...

I got this thing back in 2012, and I finally will have the time and money to do it. Unless otherwise advised, I'm probably just going with the "kits" from Automation Technologies/Keling...

I do need four axis, so my main concerns at this point are an operational fourth axis that will be capable of use with free machining steel and 416, and I'm considering either one of the ebay harmonic drive setups with a chuck and tailstock for about $500ish, or a rotary (and I'll likely need help with that...).

Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: FINALLY starting G0704 conversion...

I have a converted G0704 and use it often. I don't currently have a fourth axis so I can't help there. But I am interested in what you see for responses as I would like to set a fourth axis up at some point. Specifically for notching tubes I think it could be awesome.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since I have varying batches of parts to get out the door requiring different levels of accuracy, I am tempted to start with the "existing acme" conversion, and add ball screws later. I've done enough milling that I tend to come up to stuff from the same direction just out of habit... Could be interesting... What really concerns me tho is when I finally get to the fourth axis stuff... The Chicom harmonic drive stuff seems interesting - just got to see if it has worked for other people.

I wouldn't recommend skipping the ballscrews in your conversion. It seems like you are setting yourself up to disassemble the mill, install your steppers, wire everything, tune all your software, only to find out you dislike the speed and accuracy of the mill. Take the leap brother, there's no point in going half way. You won't save much time or money in the early stages and the amount of time it's going to take you to set it all up is only marginally more with ballscrews.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah what he says and I would even suggest double nutted ballscrews.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Chuck, I am going to go with the same ballscrew bracket kit. But that electronics kit does not match up with the brackets and screws you are buying. The balscrew kit needs 3/8 shaft and a nema34 for the Z-Axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess there's going to be some phone calls on Monday...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, double check. that kit does have the nema34 motor, but I think you may have to get some 1/4 to 3/8 couplings as the nema23s in that kit are 1/4in shaft.