G0704 Control Box set up for ATC

Thread: G0704 Control Box set up for ATC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 Control Box set up for ATC

Hello I am in the process of redoing my G0704 from the ground up to add a 12 tool slot ATC. In the process I have had to build a new control box and a new DC drive box. I am in the process of building the CNC console that will house my 24" inch touch screen, keyboard, and also have the PC with solid state hard drives. The console will have the Emergency stop switch with the green latching button for the contactor in the CNC control box that is pictured. It has been a long process but a lot of fun along the way.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-new-g0704-control-box-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-cnc-control-box-back-panel-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 Control Box set up for ATC

That looks great.

12 slot rotary? Linear? Just keep the pics coming

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have some more pics of the tool changer and will post later today. It is a 12 tool rotary turned by a nema34 attached to a 5:1 ratio gear box. I am using the Igus slide for the ATC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cant wait to see it. I have seen similar for the larger class of mills, Charter Oak etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I have a few moments to post some pics. I could not fit the KB 225D DC control board in the Control panel so I made a seperate box to handle all the stuff to go with it. KB actually strongly suggest to use an emergency stop to make sure no power is going to the DC 225D board. In doing this I kind of went over board. The top red and green light next to the E-stop is tell me if power is going to the 225D board or not. Those lights are 120VAC LEDS. The other 2 red and green lights 24VDC are just telling me that the 24VDC part of the relay is working properly. The green button is used to latch the relay closed when the ON/OFF is switched to ON. This way if power goes out then comes back on the relay will open and the green button will have to be pushed again to latch the relay closed. This is along with the E-stop an added safety feature. Inside the CNC control box is another relay that is set up the same way as the DC control box. In doing reading it is not a good idea to rely on the Mach3 SAFETY CHARGE PUMP to stop all motion. The CNC console will have the E-stop, green latching button, touch screen, keyboard, PC mother board, my 2 500gig solid state hard drives, and the PC powersupply.

When I first bought my G0704 I bought a control box that was already built and knew nothing about it or how it worked. Hind sight is 20/20! I suggest anyone looking at building one of these mills to CNC, build your own box!!! The control box that I bought was plagued with problems and was an electrical nightmare! I have right at $850 total in my new CNC control box and learned how it all worked and then layed it out and built it.

The ATC, DC control panel, CNC control box and the CNC console when finished here soon can be fitted to be used on any of these mills. Someday I would like the big RF45 since the table is bigger.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-dc-control-panel-kb225d-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-dc-control-panel1-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-mill-atc1-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-mill-atc2-jpg  

G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-mill-atc3-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-mill-keyboard-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-mill-touch-screen-jpg   G0704 Control Box set up for ATC-mounting-plate-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice indeed. Looks almost ready to bolt up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the positive comments. Well not quite ready yet but getting close. With the extra weight of the tool changer, I have to weld up a new table and catch pan that will be enclosed. At least for my build, a lot of changes had to be made. I could of made a smaller changer but what fun would that be! As mentioned I could take this whole setup and adapt it to another mill pretty easy. So far in testing everything works as it should. The hardest part of the whole build so far was writing the ATC program, but I received a lot of help from the different forums. Two people really helped in that process.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nicely done! ..
    It's the on-going education into areas that stretch me to the limit that I enjoy almost as much as using the things I manage to put together!

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree 100%. This hobby for me provides challenge at every turn.

The amazing thing is the ability to pursue information from inside your house and if desired to share it with anyone and everyone interested.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the only update I can say so far is, I am having the control console box being built up right now and should be done in a week. Once I get it I will mount the 21.5" IR panel touch screen and panel mount keyboard. I had the touch screen working with Mach3 the other day and it is awesome! I ordered the touch screen from Alibaba, shipped to the door it was $250.00. The screen came with the mounting frame for the panel mount and the glass is made to take a beating. Its the same screen used for video poker machines. I was surprised of how clear the picture is. I did not relize but the touch screen has a keyboard that you can open by swiping the left hand side of the margin. I am going to mount the PC motherboard and PC power supply inside the console. I will have my emergency stop button and my green latching button on the front of the console next to the screen. In the back of the unit I will have the on off button for the Power supply, 1 ethernet pass through, 2 USB pass throughs and one DC pass through for power to the touch screen. The screen and keyboard will be attached to the door. The keyboard is on a 30 degree angle to the touch screen for ease of typing in data. I am going to mount the PC motherboard with standoffs to the back of the enclosure. I have one 250gig solid state hard drive attached to another 250gig hard drive to be used as a back up for my CAM files. To transfer my CAM files from my design PC to the Mill control console I can do it 2 different ways. I can use my USB pass through with my memory stick or I can use the blue tooth thats on board the PC motherboard.

It will take me 2 days to finish the control console once I have it in my hands. A place called Schaeffer electrical enclosures near Joplin MO is building it for me. The cost is $400.00. The console is going to be built with 16 gage steel. They have built another enclosure for my tool changer and I am very pleased with the price and the quality. Hope to put some pics up in a week of the finished control console.