G0704 Spindle bearing upgrade - Vertical play/slop on spindle shaft. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G0704 Spindle bearing upgrade - Vertical play/slop on spindle shaft.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 Spindle bearing upgrade - Vertical play/slop on spindle shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrislamia View Post
    Gooday, i have a VF25L mill that is pretty much the same mill as the Grizly, i sadly have 0.03 mm runoun in the MT2 taper and i am thinking of changing the bearings, do you think that changing the bearing could fix the problem?
    I have gone through several sets of AC bearings, some were good in regards to run-out and some were not. One thing that i like about the tapered bearings is that no add on shims are required. The bearings sit in their pockets as intended which eliminates possible alignment errors. All things considered, unless you are setup to run 6k+ RPM, I think that tapered bearings are a better choice. Pin rollers are more rigid then balls, have greater contact area and I think serve better for heavier cuts at lower revs. Larger machines run AC bearing sets in multiple attacks to achieve both rpm capability and rigidity, we just don't have the realestate in the head for that unfortunately. I am pleased with my decision to go with the nachi bearings, time will tell how long they last, but the AC bearing required replacing and I never achieved the finishes with them I have with the TR'ers. I would say my run-out has never been so close to zero either, but because every bearing could be different then the next, it may just have been luck of the draw. The AC's were that way so I would assume the TR's could potentially be the same.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 Spindle bearing upgrade - Vertical play/slop on spindle shaft.

Ok, had some time and went out and did a few tests with a Brown and Sharpe Bestest 0.00005" test indicator. Yes that is the correct number of zeros..lol. Reads to half a tenth, so each number shown is 0.001".

I did not feel like removing the power drawbar as it's late and I have jobs to run in the morning. So I tested on the outside of the spindle which as tested previously is pretty dead on to what the taper reads. I also tested at a tool ( a testament to tormachs tool concentricity).

Here are the results!

Chris

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lcvette ,

I tore the spindle down and will go to town with cleaning out the old kluber and applying the new Kluber.

My first application of Kluber was used spareingly like on the AC bearings. Did you pack your like most people would do on a taper roller bearing found on a vehicle axle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Signal9 View Post
    lcvette ,

I tore the spindle down and will go to town with cleaning out the old kluber and applying the new Kluber.

My first application of Kluber was used spareingly like on the AC bearings. Did you pack your like most people would do on a taper roller bearing found on a vehicle axle?
    I was pretty liberal with the kluber, I made sure to get it between the rollers, I figured what was too much would squeeze out and some did. I saw how some used syringes and carefully metered it out and I did the same with my AC bearings, but said screw it with the TR's..lol. They are doing great still so I guess maybe it isn't as critical as AC bearings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spindle started to rattle on power up and changing rpm from high to low made it sound even worst on the low RPM speeds.

Tore spindle apart and the preload nut was still tight. Reassembled and reinstalled and I still have the rattle sound.

I could not tell from spinning the taper bearings upper and lower (removed from spindle) of any defects.

Ordered another pair of Nachi from VXB, hope this was the issue.

While I wait for them to ship and arrive, I am eye balling reinstalling the factory bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am no expert on bearings or mills, but i agree with your deduction that TR bearings are a good application for these mills for most folks running under 6k rpm. I was wondering if you looked around for a higher tolerance TR bearings? It appears the VXB ones are Nachi's "normal class" I looked up the Nachi catalog and noticed they do make various tolerance bearing in the size you posted, but i don't see anyone stocking them. How are the new Nachi bearings working?

After a belt drive conversion, I noticed my spindle running tight, I think some of the brown spacking like grease made it into the spindle bearings causing major loads at high speeds, so i am on the edge of clean and grease or replace..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have any of you guys noticed how loose the splined joints of the spindle shaft is? I converted to belt drive and get vibration and think much of it is from how loose the splined shaft fits on the upper bearing housing (not sure whatit's called)

Quote Originally Posted by jbar View Post
    Have any of you guys noticed how loose the splined joints of the spindle shaft is? I converted to belt drive and get vibration and think much of it is from how loose the splined shaft fits on the upper bearing housing (not sure whatit's called)
    That's a commonly discussed issue. There are more than a few methods used to tighten them up. Most just make a washer or damper that goes inside the bearing housing and apply force either against the interior walls of the housing or against the top of the pulley. Hoss has drawings for the damper.

I am now running tapered roller bearings in my machine after having had the AC bearings in for my belt upgrade (6k spindle). They are just as quit, easier to adjust, andrun just as cool. Once I got everything broken in and adjusted they have stayed perfect. I do think they take a little longer on spindle warm up though, they are bigger bearings with more surface area and they transfer heat to the mill more effectively.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    That's a commonly discussed issue. There are more than a few methods used to tighten them up. Most just make a washer or damper that goes inside the bearing housing and apply force either against the interior walls of the housing or against the top of the pulley. Hoss has drawings for the damper.

I am now running tapered roller bearings in my machine after having had the AC bearings in for my belt upgrade (6k spindle). They are just as quit, easier to adjust, andrun just as cool. Once I got everything broken in and adjusted they have stayed perfect. I do think they take a little longer on spindle warm up though, they are bigger bearings with more surface area and they transfer heat to the mill more effectively.
    Ya, I use a bushing and it helps alot; essentially supports the top of the spindle which is unsupported and gets pulled on by the belt drive pully. However, I still notice slop in the splined spindle shaft. I'm going to buy some brass sheet and try and shim the splines.

I actually very lightly peened the spline faces with a punch on mine, only did so in the area where the splines interact when the spindle is locked. It's a slight friction fit now, takes a little love with a rubber mallet to slide the items together but it no longer has that spline rattle and that has actually helped me with auditory monitoring of my cuts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    I actually very lightly peened the spline faces with a punch on mine, only did so in the area where the splines interact when the spindle is locked. It's a slight friction fit now, takes a little love with a rubber mallet to slide the items together but it no longer has that spline rattle and that has actually helped me with auditory monitoring of my cuts.
    Tonight, I went in and lightly brazed the spline channels of the bearing assembly (not the shaft). Then filed the channels out until I had a light press fit. Then after reassembly I put one of the 3D printed bushings at the top of the shaft. To me that bushing on top is important if you're using a belt drive, as the belt pully is putting lateral force on the shaft in manner contrary to it's design. It's now nice and tight. I did tighten my bearings enough that I'll expect them to need some break-in time. Now waiting on a part for my

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Tonight, I went in and lightly brazed the spline channels of the bearing assembly (not the shaft). Then filed the channels out until I had a light press fit. Then after reassembly I put one of the 3D printed bushings at the top of the shaft. To me that bushing on top is important if you're using a belt drive, as the belt pully is putting lateral force on the shaft in manner contrary to it's design. It's now nice and tight. I did tighten my bearings enough that I'll expect them to need some break-in time. Now waiting on a part for my
    I learned long ago that driving the spindle up top is not not the best method. The closer the drive load is to the upper bearing, the better of you will be. Best to make a pulley that attaches to the upper quill barrel and use the splines to drive the someone shaft. It also removes any side loading at all from the actual spindle shaft.

I would be weary of brazing the splined connection point to remove slack, you don't want to preload the spindle shaft in any direction or it will cause vibration and premature bearing wear.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I learned long ago that driving the spindle up top is not not the best method. The closer the drive load is to the upper bearing, the better of you will be. Best to make a pulley that attaches to the upper quill barrel and use the splines to drive the someone shaft. It also removes any side loading at all from the actual spindle shaft.

I would be weary of brazing the splined connection point to remove slack, you don't want to preload the spindle shaft in any direction or it will cause vibration and premature bearing wear.

I like that idea of attaching pully to quill barrel, as the shaft is not designed to have a drive belt tugging on it. Have you done it on a G0704? Pls post a picture if you have one. Agree on the brazing, just decided to try it and if it dosn't work I'll go with an entirely new shaft made to take the pully.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ATM i will not convert to a higher speed motor, i do want to lower the runout as possible i can, i thing i'll go with the cheper tapered bearings and see what will happen.
    Thank you for your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like that idea of attaching pully to quill barrel, as the shaft is not designed to have a drive belt tugging on it. Have you done it on a G0704? Pls post a picture if you have one. Agree on the brazing, just decided to try it and if it dosn't work I'll go with an entirely new shaft made to take the pully.
    Yes, I have done this and the results were excellent! Pictures below!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12