benchtop precision - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: benchtop precision

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: benchtop precision

I don't think that;s an issue. I did check with the complex maintanence guy and he said the floor can support thousands of pounds, probably a good idea to spread the load to several joists but lots of appliance in the house weights more than 500 pounds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nahh.....a come-along doesn't have enough length to go up a 20 foot stair length....it'is a short lift device, either a chain or wire rope type.
    Not sure what kind of come-a-longs they have down under but they can have very long lengths here in the USA. I happen to have a chain come-along that has a 30 feet of chain. Granted that I modified it by removing the original chain and putting in a longer one, but I could theoretically put as much chain in it as I wanted. It came with a 20 foot chain when I bought it and can be bought with anything from 5 to 20 feet of chain.

https://www.cmworks.com/Hoists/Lever...chetLeverHoist

https://www.mfrexpress.com/chain-com...gaAuAQEALw_wcB

I also have a cable come-a-long that came with 20 feet of cable. 20 feet of pull at 1 ton, or 10 feet of pull when double line.

Residential stairs are only about 16-18' long unless you have 12 foot ceilings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can probably attach a pulley to the ceiling and use a friend's pickup truck to hoist it up. The only problem is finding a secure point to mount a pulley (I am likely to face the same problem using a Come A Long)

But I still think disassembly is the better way to go. It gives you a chance to inspect the machine for hidden damage and allows you to know how your machine works...

Downloads
    Uploads

In a rental situation I think the problem is going to be noise transmitting through the structure of the machine and into the floor and rooms below. Weight for a 500 pound machine isn't really an issue. You could just put a 3/4" plywood over the existing floow and that would add a lot for spreading the load.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm aware of vibrations and I do everything I can to eliminate that. If the machine is screeching and shuddering you are doing something wrong or trying to do something beyond the machine's capability. So far I have gotten no complaint and the mill creates far more vibrations than a lathe ever will.

Downloads
    Uploads

But I still think disassembly is the better way to go.
    I think it is situation dependent, and for your situation it probably is better to just disassemble the machine.

In my last house I had my shop in the basement and had a stair that went straight from the garage into the basement. My current house has a straight stairwell going from the foyer to the basement and directly across the foyer from the stairwell is the door to the garage which has a ramp for a wheelchair. In either of these cases it is trivial to maneuver a machine on a dolly to the top of the stairs and then lower it into the basement. I do realize not all situations are this easy, but is an option if the situation fits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I moved a 10X30 lathe and a small bench top mill from UK to Australia in 1981 and stripped them down to the basics..........the machinery parts went with my personal belongings by sea in a large packing case at a cost of 2 pounds (Sterling) per sq foot, so the shipping fees were minimal.

One thing, it pays to keep all the small parts in sealed boxes and numbered etc.....not an issue in your case, but still pertinent for reassembly......a single missing screw is a pain in the rump when you're putting it all back together.

I do heavy lifting in my garage by attaching a 1 ton chain block with a looped rope to the roof beams and sticking a 2X4 wood prop under the lift point......the beams won't support much more than the steel sheeting and a person's weight in the middle so the prop does the necessary.

One thing with the noise problem.....you'll get more noise from a high speed spindle that travels and is extremely difficult to damp out, and that is for hours at a time......landlords are not all that sympathetic in a multi tenant situation.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not using any high speed spindle... My mill is capable of maybe 4000 RPM at the very most, and I use that to run small-ish end mills. I wish it could go as high as 10,000 RPM because it's really useful for small carbide end mills and aluminum (it's helpful for steel too, it makes the end mill last longer since it won't need to take such a big bite). But at worst the noise aren't so much that anyone is complaining.

The lathe isn't going to go higher than 2000RPM. In fact that is the safe maximum speed for most lathe chucks. I may use the higher speed if I decide to turn wood on it (still possible) but otherwise, it's under 500 RPM.

With regards to noise woodworking machines is actually MUCH worse compared to metalworking. You use routers that spins at over 20,000 RPM and that universal motor makes that loud whining noise that nothing blocks. I've gotten numerous noise complaints from neighbors when I was in Taiwan (I did primarily woodworking there, making guitars) because of routers and jointers. They are very LOUD and I couldn't run them between 12-2pm because in Taiwan people nap... plus dust collectors are loud too. This is also another reason why I don't do any woodworking in my apartment at all. The dust goes EVERYwhere and the noise is impossible to control. Metal chips and stuff is much easier to control and doesn't go everywhere to the same extent as woodworking.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.....on the rpm note, when I listed the options for the mill I bought, I went for a 1 HP BLDC motor upgrade with 2 sets of pulleys to give a maximum rpm of 7,000.

Changing over the pulleys in my case is another issue I have to address as it's pretty time consuming after the power draw bar was fitted, so it stays in the high range for most milling and drilling ops as there's still plenty of torque in the mid rev range around 3,000.

If wood work was on the agenda I'd probably consider a fixed gantry CNC router addition, ......I actually started building one in steel but put it on the back burner when the mill eventually arrived.........but who knows, I'm only into hobby work so nothing is cast in stone, and I might still continue with the router build as I like making things.
    Ian..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any news on the May kits yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    Any news on the May kits yet?
    Been trying to contact Scott for the past couple of days but not getting a response.
    I ordered my G0704 Belt Drive Kit on Nov. 15, 2017 with a ship date of end of January 2018.
    I have not received my kit yet as of today, so I was just wondering if anybody that was expecting
    a end of January 2018 ship date had received their kit yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, all I can say is this......if he's making money with the kit then he'd better get his act together and communicate or someone else who's looking for a project that makes money will too.

I doubt whether the kit is so exceptional that it can't be copied and supplied in a reasonable time.......a couple of pulleys and a drive belt etc.....almost a DIY project.

It sounds like the demand is so small it gets done in an odd moment so no real stock to draw on.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by showin4fun View Post
    Been trying to contact Scott for the past couple of days but not getting a response.
    I ordered my G0704 Belt Drive Kit on Nov. 15, 2017 with a ship date of end of January 2018.
    I have not received my kit yet as of today, so I was just wondering if anybody that was expecting
    I placed my order in early May 17 and received the kit mid December that year, so it took around eight months in total. I wasn't particularly rushed since my mill is more of a side project at the moment, but was uncomfortable to let the six month Paypal coverage expire on $400.

For what its worth the kit is beautiful and works flawlessly. I recommend pressing both bearings onto the splined carrier before inserting it back into the mill, and substituting the carrier bearing grease for something lighter if you plan on exceeding 2500rpm. As another note, I highly recommend against using a mallet to seat the bearings - either use a hydraulic press or improvise with a hold-down kit as done in the following pictures: https://imgur.com/a/OX9T8

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: benchtop precision

Showin4fun,

Did you see the following message posted on Scotts Blog dated Feb 8th 2018?

"I am extremely grateful for the enormous interest in the belt drive kits, and I appreciate each and every one of you who have placed an order.

I have made the belt drive kits currently unavailable for purchase in order to focus on fulfilling orders that existing customers have been waiting patiently for. The goal is to gain more control of the amount of orders being placed, and greatly shorten the lead time.
    Customers currently waiting for their belt drive kit order: Please do not worry, you will still be receiving your kits on or around the shipment date listed on your receipt at time of purchase.
    Thank you for your understanding!"

Scott has been slow at times however he has always delivered outstanding parts.
    Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is why I had asked my original question. He says that you will still receive your kit on or around the delivery date quoted on the invoice. I was hoping, where there is such a great amount of orders for the G0704 Belt Drive Kit, that there might be another person on this site that had a January 2018 delivery date that would let me know if they have received their kit yet.

At this point I don't know if he has just not shipped any kits or if my order might have been missed. It would be very much appreciated if Scott would just respond and let a person know.

Thanks.........

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Showin4fun,

Did you see the following message posted on Scotts Blog dated Feb 8th 2018?

"I am extremely grateful for the enormous interest in the belt drive kits, and I appreciate each and every one of you who have placed an order.

I have made the belt drive kits currently unavailable for purchase in order to focus on fulfilling orders that existing customers have been waiting patiently for. The goal is to gain more control of the amount of orders being placed, and greatly shorten the lead time.
    Customers currently waiting for their belt drive kit order: Please do not worry, you will still be receiving your kits on or around the shipment date listed on your receipt at time of purchase.
    Thank you for your understanding!"

Scott has been slow at times however he has always delivered outstanding parts.
    Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Jeff...

Last edited by showin4fun; 03-01-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is why I had asked my original question. He says that you will still receive your kit on or around the delivery date quoted on the invoice. I was hoping, where there is such a great amount of orders for the G0704 Belt Drive Kit, that there might be another person on this site that had a January 2018 delivery date that would let me know if they have received their kit yet.

I made my order June 2017 and it had an August 2017 delivery date, have not received it yet. Had a couple update emails, most recent update was September.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by n1bpd View Post
    I made my order June 2017 and it had an August 2017 delivery date, have not received it yet. Had a couple update emails, most recent update was September.
    That is not what I wanted to hear at all! This delay is holding up a project we are trying to get done. If I would have known then what I know now I would have ordered the Precision Machine Mill that had the Belt Drive Kit already on it from the manufacturer. I was told that the Grizzly was a bit stronger machine so I purchased it and ordered the Belt Kit for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

My wildest imagination tells me that if I were in your boots I''d have canceled the order and got someone else to make the parts for you if you don't have the ability or equipment to make them yourself.

Surely, a belt drive is just a couple of pulleys fitted to the shafts and a belt to connect them?
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is not what I wanted to hear at all! This delay is holding up a project we are trying to get done. If I would have known then what I know now I would have ordered the Precision Machine Mill that had the Belt Drive Kit already on it from the manufacturer. I was told that the Grizzly was a bit stronger machine so I purchased it and ordered the Belt Kit for it.
    Are you replacing the motor as well?

Although the parts that Scott makes are top notch, the wait is very frustrating. IMO the one part he makes that is indispensable is the replacement for the quill bearing carrier. It extends the shaft above the top of the machine so the pulleys have a better mounting point.

You might try to call him to see what he has in stock and what he doesn't. Maybe you can get by with just the stock parts for now.

Correction. I thought I had his number but lost it in an email crash. Sorry.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Are you replacing the motor as well?

Although the parts that Scott makes are top notch, the wait is very frustrating. IMO the one part he makes that is indispensable is the replacement for the quill bearing carrier. It extends the shaft above the top of the machine so the pulleys have a better mounting point.

You might try to call him to see what he has in stock and what he doesn't. Maybe you can get by with just the stock parts for now.

Correction. I thought I had his number but lost it in an email crash. Sorry.
    Your right, the wait is very frustrating! Another two months have passed and I still have not received my Belt Drive Kit for the G0704 yet.
    On March 3, 2018 Scott replied to my request regarding delivery and said he would ship within the week. A month passed after that and I messaged him again about the delivery.
    He replied on April 5, 2018 and said he would ship within a week. I can not believe a person can run a business this way. At this point I am really regretting I did not purchase the PM-25!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast