benchtop precision - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: benchtop precision

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: benchtop precision

Hi, don't do any hitting on the gear to try to remove it.........this will impact on the bearings or internals of the motor.

Usually you can fit a 3 legged puller to the gear outer rim, but this will most likely damage the gear teeth if they are soft.

If there are no holes in the gear face that allow two bolts to be inserted and a flat bar spanning the gear face to act as a simple puller, you could drill two holes through the face of the gear, diametrically opposite one another, and tap them for two screws.

Take a piece of flat steel bar and drill two clearance holes at the same pitch as the two in the gear.....also drill and tap a hole in the centre of the bar for a bolt that pushes against the motor shaft.......that's as simple as it can get and won't do damage to the gear or the motor.

BTW.......if the gear is held on with a grub screw.........you might have a problem if the grub screw has raised a burr on the motor shaft..........pulling the gear off will leave a groove in the bore, caused by the raised burr on the motor shaft.........carefully clean the burr off with a flat file before refitting the new pulley.
    Ian.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JD2016 View Post
    I am in the process of installing the belt drive kit. I am having a hard time removing the gear from the motor shaft in step 5. It states if the fit is tight to utilize a small puller. There is basically no clearance between the gear and motor, so what type of puller would work?
    bearing separator. You can borrow these from auto parts stores that do tool loans. Autozone is one such chain that loans tools.

benchtop precision-cht253l-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi......I think that tool would be the best bet if you can get it, as it gets under the gear without doing damage to the teeth.....you might want to re-use the gear.

The worst case scenario is if the gear was shrunk on or press fitted....probably with a key way too......another method they use is Loctite........heating the gear to about 150 deg C to soften the Loctite will be advisable in that case.

If it's heat shrunk on and the gear is not wanted......there's no going back in this case......I would make a longitudinal saw cut with a hack saw on both sides of the gear between the teeth, almost down to the motor shaft, and use a thin wedge to split the gear off the motor shaft.....that's the last resort if all else fails.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. Doesn't respond to emails and doesn't ship on time. I am sure its costing him a lot business. Monday is the 10th of July was supposed to done approximately June 30. No contact info, no email answers. Looks like a great kit, it shouldn't be this hard to do business, especially when you have to pay up front. I won't give my vote of confidence, if I treated people this way, I wouldn't be in business.

Downloads
    Uploads

The guy's probably out in his shop working the machine so doesn't have time to keep reading up on the emails......what would you rather he did.....play on a computer and browse emails and let the business go or work on the orders he probably has that fill all his time?.....yours is probably # 100 further down in the queue.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please understand also, customers (who do not always know BTP's reputation) do put in a non trivial amount of money into this. The belt drive kit is probably cheap, BTP also performs other services like milling the column for linear rails, etc. that is likely to cost more. Then we'd have to wait a while after we paid our money for a product, so timely communication is very helpful to assuage customer's fears.

I understand the guy may be a little short on time but I still think that timely communication is very important for the success of any business. If he uses CNC to make most the part (I do not think he manually makes everything, it would take a lot of time with no upside) he can adjust his workflow to allow him time to answer emails and questions, or have someone else (like his wife) to handle the communication side of things.

I've done jobs for people and I always strive to finish ahead of time, and if I can't I always make sure I let customers know why, and when to expect things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    The guy's probably out in his shop working the machine so doesn't have time to keep reading up on the emails......what would you rather he did.....play on a computer and browse emails and let the business go or work on the orders he probably has that fill all his time?.....yours is probably # 100 further down in the queue.
    Ian.
    Being an apologizist for non-performance is not helpful. I have been in the service and construction business for thirty years. One does not make loyal customers by making commitments and not following through, and if those commitments cannot be made at least communicate, this is something BTP does not do. There is trend in this hobby of taking money and not delivering on time, I have noticed it over and over again with folks who probably could not stay in business over the long haul. In my industry, it called liquidated damages and if don't make your commitments its is a costly lesson. I apologize for being stickler to SOP for most businesses throughout the civilized world, perhaps you do things differently in Australia. BTP's bad reputation goes back to 2015, during that time, he should be able to correct, but it appears the answer is no. Not learning from the past mistakes and non- communicating means you should not be in business altogether. As for "playing" being on the computer he could concoct a standard sorry I am late email and send out automatically to customers. Per the previous blog comments he doesn't communicate. BLUF: I took a chance despite previous bad feedback and got burned, but at least I had my sunblock on. Sometimes is the best news is bad news, at least one would know to lower expectations.

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL.....you can always go somewhere else.........that'll take the pressure off a bit., sometimes in a rarefied field you just gotta have patience.......I waited 2 years to get my optimised CNC mill .....from China, long story......but the wait was worth every cent of it.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please listen...

Waiting 2 years isn't the issue. It's communications and expectations.

Customers are going to have technical questions and when emails go unanswered that raises concern, especially when non trivial amount of money is involved.

When paying customers have questions, you do have an obligation to provide an answer, or if you can't answer right away say that you will answer later because you are busy at the moment or something. When you don't answer customers may even think you've gone out of business and may do a dispute for that reason.

Ordering from China comes with it a bit of a wait because of import regulations and shipping time. We're not ordering stuff from China but it takes but 2 minutes to answer questions. If you can't do it, then get someone else who you trust to do it. You gotta keep your customers in the loop or else they'll just go elsewhere and dispute the charges.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah....great expectations etc......Well, I never doubted the supplier I dealt with, even if he was far away in China and had problems, but I never harassed him over the 2 years he took to get organised, even if he did not communicate too readily (not at all even).

Luckily, I had the forum to keep the hope level up and running when all others were crashing and burning and gnashing their dentures in frustration.

Sometimes, when you just must have that particular product, the time taken is not important or the lack of a few words etc......money up front too.

Eventually.......in the very fullness of time, you'll get lucky, and when that happens all this'll just be a bad dream......if you brass him off too much and he refunds your money and tells you to GTFOOH..........what'll you do next.....I don't think anyone else is doing the same work he does, but I'm sure anyone could if they wanted to.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well honestly dealing with import or export is frustrating because there's a lot of customs and stuff. That's why we buy from Grizzly and Precision Matthews, since they deal with all the stuff and deliver us a machine that works.

I kinda learned my lesson with Grizzly however and I'm buying my next lathe from Precision Matthews. I should have bought their version of G0704 from the get go (it comes with belt drive standard). By the way, he does answer technical questions promptly and was actually more than patient with me on weird financing options... kudos for him for putting up with me. Basically I'm spending over 3000 dollars on a PM1228 lathe and I needed some financing options since it is a pretty significant outlay for me. He was really patient with me and even worked with Paypal in dealing with it. In the end I found an option that both of us are happy with. I'm taking delivery around November since I want to wait for this Texas heat to go away before moving a 500 pound machine up to the third floor.

I may try machining a larger pulley for my belt drive kit so I can increase the gear ratio to allow me to run larger HSS end mills.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, one thing I came to realise early on and that is anything the dealers are selling is almost double what it cost the seller......mark up, customs, and taxes etc.

Someone has to pay for the showroom and staff, but you can take delivery on the same day you saw it if you have the transport etc.

Being in the showroom and not just in the catalogue for back ordering where you can twiddle all the knobs and ask daft questions to a salesman who probably doesn't know how it works anyway.does have some advantages for peace of mind......I was in it for at the end 10 grand....so despite all the doomwatchers saying the seller was living it up somewhere at my expense, all turned out right.

BTW......is your workshop really on the 3 rd floor?.....how are you going to get it up to that level?
    Ian.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast