Longer Lathe Bed

Thread: Longer Lathe Bed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Longer Lathe Bed

Thr CueSmith has lathe beds that will fit the Taig.
    http://www.cuesmith.com/

I was wondering if anyone has used one on their Taig.

I'm planning on getting a Taig Latheand the only drawback I can see to a Taig is the small center to center measurement. I talked to the guy who sells the cue lathes and he said he has one #ft. that will give 28" center to center. This would solve my only reservation.

Similar Threads:
    Boyd Reeder

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love the Taig, and have made some useful stuff, which has paid for it. BUT, now I am using it to turn 2.5" dia aluminium, it is really showing it's weakness. At that size of workpiece, it is difficult to get a good finnish, hell, it's difficult to use! Obviously if you are not going to be turning big stuff, then you need not worry, but I have quickly outgrown mine and am looking for something a bit more substantial. Just my 2 cents though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What machine are you considering.??.......For me, buying a taig isn't cast in stone. Also if you want to sell yours I might be interested if the price is right. I really want it to learn on and I like it alot better than the Sherline.

Boyd Reeder

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am considering this one, but since I'm in the UK we don't have a lot of choice. It's either that one, or the standard 7x12 that is so popular in the states. As for selling my Taig, unfortunately the prices over here are greatly inflated so I don't think you'd be best advised to pay the £200 + p&p ($375) that I would like for it.
    But don't get me wrong, it is a good machine for it's intended use - small stock. I have just outgrown it quickly!

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up a taig a while back myself. I'm just starting to use it. One thing that I have certainly found to be a pain is that even though it has a 3.5" swing, you can barely get a tool to go from the OD to the center of a 1.5" piece...

I just added a Quick Change tool post and I'm waiting on my indexable tools to arrive. The new tool post will allow me to use 3/8" tooling so maybe with added substance of the tools and beefyness of the tool post I'll end up with a little better finish than I've been getting with the Taig supplied HSS bits...

(Any tips on getting the 3 jaw chuck tight enough to really grip onto something?) The 4 Jaw is no problem but sometimes I just want to chuck something up and get something round in a hurry that doesn't need to be of high precision, steel seems to always vibrate the part loose from the 3 jaw chuck half way through a cutoff...

Nathan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kong,

I run a 9x20Lathe yahoo group which has about 1700 members... The BV20 you're looking at has been discussed there recently. And there are also members from around the world-- even across the pond-- who may be able to help you in your decision.

It's at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/9x20Lathe

Good luck,

Ballendo

Originally posted by kong
    I am considering this one, but since I'm in the UK we don't have a lot of choice. It's either that one, or the standard 7x12 that is so popular in the states. As for selling my Taig, unfortunately the prices over here are greatly inflated so I don't think you'd be best advised to pay the £200 + p&p ($375) that I would like for it.
    But don't get me wrong, it is a good machine for it's intended use - small stock. I have just outgrown it quickly!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ballendo, it was me that posted there regarding that lathe a couple of weeks ago! I'm going to see it in a couple of weeks, so I'll let your group know how I get on.
    Anoel - Nope, I have had no luck with that 3 jaw either. Maybe if you rough up the jaws of the chuck a little? But then I guess you may put out the accuracy a tad.