X2 cnc finished for now maybe - Page 31

Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 212829303132333441 ... LastLast

Thread: X2 cnc finished for now maybe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by X2cnc View Post
    I've been waiting for you to put a stepper up there and turn the swivel head into a fifth axis!

You'd have to do B-axis motion by combining X and Z, though.

As a CNC newbie I'm still not sure what I would use a 5th axis for.
    Maybe someday, but I don't need to make any impellers right now.
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2xC60-oMI"]5-Axis Impeller Blade

It's already been done on a MaxNC.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYaM4FkASA"]5-axis milling demo

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the second machine cutting wood? Looks cool. But with the 5th axis, will it make the machine limited in terms of its capability in cutting harder metals like steel?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not if designed properly. You build some with low rigidity and obviously it can't handle but build and design it with strong rigidity and it will be ok.

-Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Hey Gang,
    Finished my High Speed Spindle Motor attachment.
    Will use it mainly for engraving and grinding.
    Used a Dewalt Laminate Trimmer Model #DW670 I bought at Lowes.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...670&lpage=none
    It has a 1/4 in. collet ( I made an 1/8 collet for it) and 34,000 rpm.
    Very nice quality item with no backlash in the spindle.
    Has a machined housing that fits nicely in the mount that I made to hold
    it perpendicular and true.
    Below are pics of the drawings and finished parts.
    The spindle is offset 3 in. from the X2 spindle on the X Axis as it's mounted here
    but it's able to mount on either side or the front.
    This should work well.
    Later Hoss
    P.S. As you can see I need to mount the Spindle Lock I made on the front yet,
    that's next.
    Hey Hoss,

I need to add a high speed spindle to my X2 for making printed circuit boards and have a Rotozip that goes to 30,000 that I will use. I'm going to make an adapter based on yours and have a question.

How deep did you tap into the bottom of your X2 head ? (I don't want to screw up anything inside)

And would you mind providing the DXF for that part ?

Thanks

EDIT: For anyone else interested in this and would like to see the pictures, the above quote came from page 3, post number 28

Last edited by SScnc; 10-13-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SScnc View Post
    Hey Hoss,

I need to add a high speed spindle to my X2 for making printed circuit boards and have a Rotozip that goes to 30,000 that I will use. I'm going to make an adapter based on yours and have a question.

How deep did you tap into the bottom of your X2 head ? (I don't want to screw up anything inside)

And would you mind providing the DXF for that part ?

Thanks
    I didn't tap mine, I use the 3 existing screws that hold the bearing plate cover on. You want the DWG?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 cnc finished for now maybe-new_mount_spindle-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    I didn't tap mine, I use the 3 existing screws that hold the bearing plate cover on. You want the DWG?
    Yes, I would like to see the DWG file. Thank you very much, I appreciate it !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I would like to see the DWG file. Thank you very much, I appreciate it !
    Attached. Note:, I drew my mount "on top" of the cad drawings another member did of the entire machine. I hid those layers, but they are still there IIRC.

Jay

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 cnc finished for now maybe-new_mount_640-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jay,

That's great ! I have all the toolpaths done for it, I just need to order some .750" 6106 stock. My X2 is a Grizzly with a MT3 spindle and is only ~.800" below the bottom of the head.

Thanks again for taking the time to post and share this,very much appreciated,

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hoss,

I just got my new base from SIEG. As with yours, the new base is not the same as the one I am using. But the worst part is that the ways distance is 1mm shorter on the new base. What do you suggest I should do? Do you think using a 60 degree dovetail cutter to even out the difference would do the job? I know SIEG doesn't use 60 degree dovetail to cut the dovetail ways. I think its somewhere around 52 degrees.

I was thinking of skimming all the dovetails to 60 degrees throughout just for uniformity. What do you think?

Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have access to a machine big enough to cut the entire length of both bases?
    Skimming all the dovetails with the 60 could make it silkly smooth if it's accurate enough.

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

If you haven't already, you might want to verify the runout on that spindle before doing too much work around it. In my experience, you can live with about .003-.005" of total error (backlash + runout) before it starts getting hairy with a typical board layout with features like signals between DIP pins. In the past, Rotozips and laminate trimmers would usually exhibit .005"+ TIR.

Downloads
    Uploads

My Dewalt Laminate Trimmer only had .001 runout, must have a good one

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hoss,

Great. Yes I do have access but all depend on my new found friend's time and willingness to help at an educational institution here. There is a big machine shop with bridgeport mill. 3ft of X travel. I only need to skim a length of about 15 inch total.

Will put up pic once I have them done. Thanks.

Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Alec, the ways would also need to be ground on a surface grinder with a grinding wheel shaped for dovetailing. That is..... to be done right.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The hardest bit for me is to get the ways and dovetail machined straight for both bases. After this is done, shouldn't be too difficult. Will just lap the way with some grit. Thanks for the advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lapping worked for me, the idea is to get them as The Zohan would say,"silky smooth"

Posted a video of a little Warm Up Program I made to distribute the oil on the dovetails and get the mill ready to run.
    They do something similar at work so I thought I'd try it.
    Seemed like it ran better than usual afterwards so I'll keep it up.
    Vid shows the X moving at 120 IPM, Y at 80 IPM and the Z at 45 IPM.
    Been some talk lately about the best motors to run on the X2 especially by self named "experts" that have NO experience with the X2.
    I've tried many drivers, motors and power supplies over the past couple years
    so I think actual experience counts for something.
    Right now I'm running 40 Volt KL-4030 drivers with a 282 X Nema 23 motor, a 425 Y motor
    and a 495 Z motor at the above mentioned rapids.
    Not too shabby when you take in the fact that I'm pushing around 2-3 times the mass that of a stock X2.
    If you are looking for recommendations, then relying on those of the driver manufactures is the wise way to go.
    Keling offers several packages for the X mills and geckodrive offer a few parameters to base your choice.
    I've tested 282,425 and 495 on the Z (bipolar series and parallel) and guess what work best.
    The 495's extra torque is beneficial for drilling and plunging at a few IPM which
    is basically it's job.
    High rapiding speed is pointless if the motor bogs down trying to drill a hole.
    The X's 282 is my original motor and 120 IPM is more than adequate.
    The Y has more mass to move and the 425 boosted the speed about 60% over the 282.
    The new 382's with lower inductance would be my new choice and the soon to be released 387 look even better.
    If you are trying to build your system, take note of some of the factory built machines out there
    and what they offer as far as IPM's go for comparison.
    Taig = 30 IPM
    Tormach = 65 IPM
    X4 = 250 IPM

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgHEGN4KqM"]Warm Up Program

Downloads
    Uploads

X4 = 250 IPM
    uhh are you serious my x4+ can do 250ipm in rapid havent had the time to play much with it yet but wow thats great, now if only it could that while cutting...

The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    uhh are you serious my x4+ can do 250ipm in rapid havent had the time to play much with it yet but wow thats great, now if only it could that while cutting...
    These are the specs they claim on their websites.
    So you got an X4?
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

These are the specs they claim on their websites.
    So you got an X4?
    Hoss
    humm that is weird the x4+ profile that keith at syil canada sent me sets the max speed at 160ipm but syil america advertise it as 250ipm humm??!! anyway i would not trust what is advertise in the spec all there site list the x4+ as having 15" of x travel but thats in manual not in cnc mode as it will hit the home switch 2" before the end of its travel.

yeah i got a x4+ so far so good pretty tought machine i just machined a steel plate with it 1/4" thick doing a 1 1/2" hole ramping in .250woc / .50doc with a feed rate of 10ipm and for a first trial in metal it showed me it could take more ill be doing some more trial tonight with aluminium and steel ill let you know how it goes
    if you want i posted a sort of review in the syil section with some critic about it.

The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you are trying to build your system, take note of some of the factory built machines out there
    and what they offer as far as IPM's go for comparison.
    Taig = 30 IPM
    Tormach = 65 IPM
    X4 = 250 IPM

Hoss, LOVE the videos!! Think I was watching them for 2 hours the other day on your site.. I was going to build some "normal" doors for my new 4' enclosure, but after seeing yours I'm going to give that a try, they look good! As long as they fold in, I don't have to worry about dripping coolant and chips onto the floor, good stuff!
    Just wanted to note, right now I'm running my Taig at 70IPM on the X, and 60IPM on the Y / Z axis.. I'm using Xylotex 269oz motors all around, with IM483 drivers at 48v. With the Xylotex board @ 24v the most I got was 40IPM on the X, so good drivers REALLY help! I can only imagine what I'd get out of the same setup on an X4.. Hopefully my coming home-brew machine will work and I won't be wondering why I spent as much as a new machine on a pile of junk! LOL

Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 212829303132333441 ... LastLast