Need Help! Recommendation request: Convert G0602 to CNC, or...?

Thread: Recommendation request: Convert G0602 to CNC, or...?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommendation request: Convert G0602 to CNC, or...?

I made this part ( http://orlandorobotbuilders.com/stuff/VXPA-C02.jpg ) which is approx 2"D x 5/8"H manually on my G0602, but I want to make a thousand or more now. I'm looking for a "quick/simple" path to getting a machine to do this. IE: I know I won't have the time/patience to engineer the CNC mounts/etc right now, but a bolt-on kit would be great. Absolutely no problem with getting the electronics side, and I have a bunch of good drivers, etc already.

About 8 years ago I bought CNC-conversion mounts/parts from some guy who converted his, so that I could convert mine. I can't find the instructions now, and can't reach him, so this may be a bit of a puzzle, especially since the ballscrews would require a bit of machining. I'm a bit nervous about drilling something to the wrong dimension and causing more damage, especially to parts on the original lathe as I know I won't get spares easily.

One other note on tool bits, I think I've figured out how to do this with one tool, but I can definitely do it with two tools, which I can setup as ganged tools.

Hoping some of you can help me answer questions:
    - Would the G0602 be capable enough to handle these?
    - Are there any good CNC-conversion (mechanical parts) kits I can bolt on?
    - Or should I really try to decipher what I have?
    - Any other thoughts on how I should go about this?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommendation request: Convert G0602 to CNC, or...?

I really think your lathe is too small to be effective making that many parts in that size, even converted to CNC. Consider how you are going to hang on to the part to do the work on the OD and ID, that is going to require at least 2 setups, and some special chuck jaws for reasonable handling. Then there is cutting each piece to length before turning.

I guess I would farm those parts out to someone who has a CNC lathe with at least a 2 inch spindle bore and bar feeder and thus can run bar lengths. Looks like they would take about 40 seconds each to make.

Not sure what the end use is, but that looks like a stock flanged bushing, so maybe look at the overall design and see if a stock bushing would fit your application. Where possible, I normally design to use off-the-shelf parts.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, With it's 5/8" length, I was expecting/hoping that I could load up a piece of aluminum tubing about 3"-4" long and make 4 or 5 pieces, then chuck up another, etc.
    It's a custom part (covers some electronics) so not available off the shelf.
    I've had a variant of these made for me by others, but with all the recent tariff discussions, prices have gone up *significantly* (over 3x) and I cannot justify it anymore. If the G0602 is not up to the task, my next thought would be to look for a larger, possibly used machine, but a 2" bore machine may still be out of the budget.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try running a part on your lathe with 4'' stick out and see how it goes. That is a lot of stick out, but it might work. Parting off may be a bit of a problem.

My spindle is only 1 5/8 else I would quote them for you. What state are you located in?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

BD Tools makes a kit to convert the G0602. Looks pretty sweet. Without a bar feeder you are looking at some serious seat time to make a 1000 or more.

On my mill I make bushings that look very similar to your part, but they are only about .6" around and .3" deep. Takes about 20 seconds of machining. Unfortunately it's manual tool changes, so that adds like 2 minutes per part. I can manage to run it for like an hour, but it gets damned repetitive after a while. I can't imagine doing a thousand. 40 or 50 is about as much as I can stand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good find on the BDtools kit. Yes, I'll have to run some tests to see if 3"-4" protrusion is too much... this would have to be consistently repeatable though.

I'm in Orlando, FL.

I am also planning to get a CNC mill (perhaps a PM-30MV with CNC conversion kit)... I'm wondering if this, or any better mill could make these round parts cleanly enough. The front face of these parts gets lightly brushed with scotchbrite pads, so perhaps I can CNC-mill it, then brushing would hide any mill imperfections? I see parts from the big-boy machines that look immaculate, but not sure if these benchtop mills would do that.

FWIW, the thousand doesn't need to be all at once since they're not all needed immediately... I can do this over a few months. I just don't want to stand there an nurse it all day long, so I would want some form of being able to leave it for 30 minutes at a time while I do other things, or I'll hire someone to watch over it.

For the bushings I make, I put 6" or 7" of material in a three jaw chuck, set my work set offsets with the touch probe. Each bushings takes two tools, one setup. I use a .25" end mill and a .75 key way cutter. The mill cuts the all of the faces but one, then I change tools, it parts the bushing using the keyway cutter. Since the bushings are given height I then set the Z height negative whatever the height is and the zero. Hit run, repeat. After you get through 4" or 5" of stock I move it in the jaws slightly to use the remaining stock. Then I repeat. I would imagine a lathe would be faster, but I don't own a lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a lathe that would do what you want, and not too far from you. https://panamacity.craigslist.org/tl...803521310.html

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

So I've done a bunch of research on this and a large enough bore will be required to make this viable. And a lathe which has that is too large for my space currently. I also need to get a CNC mill for other parts, so that's priority. Perhaps I'll investigate if a 4th axis can do these parts decently enough to get me through my prototypes... hmmm...???

Thanks for the help guys.