X2 cnc finished for now maybe - Page 21

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Thread: X2 cnc finished for now maybe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hoss
    Sent you a email a week ago. Not sure if you got it.
    Anyway I like your site and will try to click on a few AD's every day if it will help you out. Im very interested in your 4th Axis Lathe CNC set up.
    Would like to know more about it. To see if it would do 12 TPI threads on 4340 Steel 30 inch long Barrels? And could be made to do Tapering & Flutting barrels?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Oldboy,
    I replied but got a network error.
    I didn't think my setup could turn those threads on aluminum yet alone steel.
    Maybe with a much bigger motor (1000 oz/in +) and a larger pulley ratio 4:1, perhaps.
    Tapers are no problem and flutes should be possible if there's enough X travel.
    Got me thinking about the threads.Hmmm.
    Maybe I could use bit in the spindle for Thread Milling, then rotate the head 90 degrees.
    Use that to cut the threads along the X axis, should be able to cut anything that way.
    Now I have another project to try out.
    Hoss

P.S. Got about 150 holes tapped tonight, got it down to 25 seconds per hole.
    A lot faster than doing it by hand.
    http://www.hossmachine.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1743_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1749crop_912x768-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hoss
    May be you got my email address wrong some how? Any way I will keep in touch. Another email.
    25 Sec. per hole? Thats FAST. It would have taken you a week to drill by hand. Thats if your hand holds up.
    Yes I was thinking of a large stepper motor to drive the 4th axis.
    And for Tapering Barrels or just lathe turning use the existing lathe motor like you did. But with a slower RPM for steel.
    I was all so thinking of purchasing a End Mill for threads. They make them you know?
    But you dont need to rotate the head 90 degrees.
    Just make sure tip of end mill is center on part to be treaded and go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good point, just have to locate some 60 degree end mills.
    These at Harvey Tool may work but really for drilling and not recommended for steel though.

I have the Tooling Plate video up at "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SgAc67DwaI"]youtube.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

ok, so hoss, i'm drawing up my plate and the machining that goes with it, inserting square nuts in from the backside and then epoxying them in, but it dawned on me pretty early on that the tooling plate is larger than the working area of my mill, so how do you suggest that i do one section, move it and do the next and actually get it lined up correctly?

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Proj,
    Truthfully, if you're just putting in bolt holes for clamping, the locations don't
    need to be all that accurate. The clamps can put anywhere.
    But if you want location pins like I also added, accuracy is a must.
    I want to be able to push in a couple .250 pins then butt the work, vise, etc.
    up against them. Then I can clamp it down knowing the edge is parallel with the axis.
    My work area is 12 x 18.5 but the plate bolt pattern is 12 x 19.
    I just removed the home switch trigger(bolt) so I could overtravel the X axis.
    If I wanted to go farther, I would pick an edge to use as the datum, I wrote BACK on the plate in the picks.
    I indicated that edge parallel with the Y axis, machined the plate, then flipped it around to the opposite side.
    I reindicated the same BACK edge parallel with the Y again and finished the other side.
    If you want to just slide the X axis down to finish a few more holes, you could use pins in the table.
    Like I did when milling the new longer X axis.
    Machine a bunch of holes, slide the tooling plate down keeping it against the pins and reclamp.
    Indicate the last hole drilled and the rest will line up.
    There just has to be something in common (datum) with the first setup and the second, plate edge, hole, whatever.
    Hoss

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1631_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1638_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_0133_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_0176_1024x768-jpg  

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

yea, i was figuring that i had to have a common denominator.. i was thinking about using the machine itself... something along the lines of mount it, cut the first set, then using the head in a hole, unclamp the part, and move the x and y axis, using the onscreen DRO's to know exactly how far, then reclamp and verify the theory being that the head would hold the plate in place and not move in relation to the world, but the table could slide under the part.. then reset my zeros, and procede.
    and your right, for this, where i'm just making holes it dosent need to be perfect, but this is an excercize for the future, i can afford some error on this, but if i can learn in my shop how to tackle an oversized part, then when the real need arrizes, i know what i'm able to do...

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

I uploaded a video showing the 60 tooth timing pulley milling procedure.
    It's the one I used for the Tapping Attachment for the spindle.
    Haven't been doing much this week except cleaning up the shop getting
    ready to build the flood coolant enclosure.
    Looks like it's gonna be about 42 x 55 inches at the base.
    I should just use this big tub that I have sitting unused in the basement.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FYI, I looked for the ads on your site to click ... nada.

Downloads
    Uploads

hoss,
    i picked up the grizzly g9322 2" boring head kit. Is this big enough to do the z axis plate boring? I just used the hass super mini mill to dot he motor mounts and the y axis spacer, but wanted to at least do some of the conversion parts on the seig mill. http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Bo...R-8-Only/G9322 is the link to what i bought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by krymis View Post
    hoss,
    i picked up the grizzly g9322 2" boring head kit. Is this big enough to do the z axis plate boring? I just used the hass super mini mill to dot he motor mounts and the y axis spacer, but wanted to at least do some of the conversion parts on the seig mill. http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Bo...R-8-Only/G9322 is the link to what i bought.
    Nice looking boring head set. Should be just fine, you only need to bore out to 2.338 (or the bearing diameter).
    Take it in small passes .025 -.050. Use the stubbiest bar for strength and to keep the chatter down.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

Made good progress on the Flood Coolant Enclosure this weekend.
    Have the 42 x 55 x 5 inch tray nearly finished along with the 24 inch side and rear panels.
    May try applying the Herculiner tomorrow morning if the caulking has set up.
    Made the panels removable for access to the mill for repairs etc.
    They fit in slots in the base and will be held in place with draw latches.
    Need to pick up a shower drain and some 1/4 plexiglass for the door panels Wednesday.
    The tray bottom pitch should drain the coolant to the front left.
    Have a good holiday everyone, Hoss

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1802_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1807_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1810_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1812_1024x768-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Put the first coat of Herculiner on the Enclosure today.
    That's some messy, gritty, stinky stuff.
    Used a brush and roller to get it in the nooks and crannies.
    Think I'll wait till wed. and get some thinner to be able to spray on the second coat.
    I better go get the presents wrapped anyhow.
    Later Hoss

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1819_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1820_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1824_1024x768-jpg   X2 cnc finished for now maybe-img_1826_1024x768-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks mighty good! Are you going to cover the top and everything.

-Speed

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm wondering how easy that type of material will be to clean up?

Downloads
    Uploads

SpeedsCustom - Not covering the top, The mill is in my workshop.
    If a few rambunctious chips fling out now and again,who cares.

ViperTX - Clean up? That's the maids problem.
    As long as the coolant drains I'll be happy.
    If the chips build up over the table, I might vacuum some of them out
    it will never be clean again.
    Happy Holidays Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Christmas everybody. Hey Hoss when you fitted your ballnuts did you get some oversize balls from homeshopcnc or did you just wait until you could remove and measure one to take some of the backlash out? How many did you change also. I am fixing to order my ballscrews and nuts and wanted to check first. I was going to go with double ballnuts but I am going to try it with a single and then if needed go with a double setup. Thanks for all your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxboostbusa View Post
    Merry Christmas everybody. Hey Hoss when you fitted your ballnuts did you get some oversize balls from homeshopcnc or did you just wait until you could remove and measure one to take some of the backlash out? How many did you change also. I am fixing to order my ballscrews and nuts and wanted to check first. I was going to go with double ballnuts but I am going to try it with a single and then if needed go with a double setup. Thanks for all your help.

I actually lucked into the ball bearing deal before I knew that it was an option for reducing backlash.
    I went to remove the nut during construction and sent ball bearings bouncing all over the floor.
    Of course I couldn't find them all and got some from a guy at work.
    They must have been a little oversized because the backlash in the nut went almost to zero afterwards.
    I now know that's one way to reduce it.
    I replaced about 10 as I recall, it's been over a year.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on using the ballscrews form homeshopcnc too, and was going to order some oversize balls from ToolSupply on ebay after I measure and get an average of the stock ball sizes they used, then reload them with the oversized ones. That should be fun....

Im not sure how much larger to go on the oversize though, 0.0002", 0.0004"? I guess it varies from screw to screw.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

skmetal7:

Here is a very informative & detailed paper on eliminating backlash with over sized balls.
    http://www.precisionballs.com/Ball_Screw_Repair.html

They also sell any sized ball your heart desires.
    I called them and they were able to help me with some balls I lost out of a linear truck, quick shipping too.

-

Andy

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast