Need Help! Sherline mill (G540) cables

Thread: Sherline mill (G540) cables

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Sherline mill (G540) cables

Hi CNC Forum,

I have been constructing an enclosure for the Sherline mill. As designed the stepper motors will connect to the rear of the enclosure to a DB9 panel (1 connector each for X,Y,Z,4th and limits) and the G540 will connect to the panel etc....

Any guides here could save my pocket and some pain:

What is the wire gauge recommended (where to buy online?)
    Any info on length of cables (max etc...?)
    issue/s with DB9 pin connectors (if any?)
    any other gotchas you can advise

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sherline mill (G540) cables

You are creating an intermediate connection point? The G540 has the DB9 connectors on its front. Mount the G540 to access the built in connections and eliminate 1 more area to cause an error. Not that it can't be done easily. It just isn't necessary.

Regarding cables. It is hard to beat the prices at the big box stores. Especially since you aren't buying a very large quantity. I personally would use an 18/4 shielded. Though 22/4 would be fine too (it is still a larger wire than the stepper wire). Btw on one of my iterations of a build I created an intermediate panel as you describe. I used 2 pins in the DB9 connector for my limit switches. Gecko only uses 6 of the 9 pins available. 2 for the current set resistor, the other 4 are for the poles of the stepper. Though it was a clean install and worked fine. I would keep the wiring separate now. Just for ease of wiring and protection from potential noise.

Cable length will be dependent upon the distance from the machine to the controller. I set mine up with 10' of cable on each stepper. Don't cut the cables til you are sure of the controller placement.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sherline mill (G540) cables

Great info.
    I will be using the G540 for CNC Mill and a CNC Lathe, so was thinking it would be easier to have the panel to connect to, The alternative as you say is to just have extra cables without the extra connector, plug directly into the G540.

I am guessing 'Standard' DB9 'computer type connected will suffice?

Downloads
    Uploads

you need to check the current rating of the 9 pin D-type connector you want to use

Gecko provide 4 high current 9 pin plugs to ensure you don't burn the 9 way D-type sockets on the G540

for your DB9 patch panel look for high quality connectors with solid machined pins not the cheep hollow formed pins

John

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/525700.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been there done that on the single controller and 2 machines. As john-100 mentions the connectors, the same goes for a data switch. They are too low amperage to deal with a stepper load.

Btw I was referring to keeping the DB9's of the G540 accessible. As in surface mount the G540. Many of the boxes built for the G540 already do this.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is an example of the box I am talking about.
    Gecko G540 CNC Bare Bones Enclosure 48V 12 5A Power Supply Cooling System | eBay
    I am not advocating this box at all. Personally I think the combo not including a G540 sounds a bit high.