Multi Speed Conversion

Thread: Multi Speed Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Multi Speed Conversion

WOULD IT BE WISE TO TRY AND COVERT THE GRIZZLY MINI MILL TO MULTI SPEED. I MEAN AT THE SPINDLE RATHER THAN THE MOTOR CONTROLS, LIKE A BIG BRIDEPORT WITH STEPPED PULLIES AND A BELT. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK EASY OR WORTH THE HASSLE??

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

WHAT HAS IT GOT FOR SPEED CHANGES NOW?

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default speed conversion

HuFlung /SPEEDRE HERE WELL ALL I'VE GOT IS THE ELECTRONIC SPEED KNOB ON THE FRONT TO SET THE SPEEDS. I'D LIKE TO PUT ON STEPPED PULLIES AND A BELT DRIVE. IT' NOW DIRECT BY GEARS. COULD STRIP IF JAMMED. I GUESS I'D NEED A BRACKET AND SUCH RIGHT. IS THIS WORTH THE TROUBLE OR SHOULD I LET WELL ENOUGH ALONE. ALSO IF I WAS TO PURCHASE I25oz 7.4V, 1A, 200S/R, NEMA 23 SINGLE SHAFT STEPPERS COULD I JUST CONNECT THEM TO THE DRIVE SCREWS WITHOUT ANY GEAR REDUCTION FOR A GANTRY MILL/WOOD ROUTER? WHAT SAY ANYONE/

Downloads
    Uploads

Please turn off capslocks.

Most of those machines have too much backlash to convert in the way you describe. Also, I would think a reduction of some kind would be a good idea.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

BALSAMAN/SHUT OFFF WHAT AND HOW? I'M NEW TO THIS KIND OF THING.I WOULD NOT BE ADDING THOSE MOTORS TO THE MINI MILL BUT TO A HOMEMADE GANTRY WOOD ROUTER/MILL. BUT I'D NEED TO KNOW WHAT RATIO TO USE, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Balsaman is impying caps lock on your computer....there is a keyudnerthe tab key that says "Caps Lock". Please unpress it becuase it makes you sound liek you are yelling and it gets annoying.

Thanks,
    Wakeboard

Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't you ladies TURN ON YOUR CAPLOCKS. This is a thread for men, deaf men

Seriously though, adding step pulleys might be of some benefit, if you need more spindle torque. However, you need a belt tightening scheme, too. I am not familiar with this machine, so I do not know how difficult it would be to do.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK I'M SORRY I YELLED IT OUT but i do get selective hearing loss from time to time thank for the reply. i think i'll do some cad work on this first and post the dwg's for feedback. i've had my mini mill for some time and have'nt fired it up yet so i got some shaking out to do before i start mods anyhow. here's another question, what about as i design a 2' x 4' gantry router to do some solid body guitar building i just connect up some 125oz steppers to the drive screws. do i need to have a reduction ratio or just plug and play?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I kinda have both, I have some custom pullies for my mini mill that will allow 0-9000rpm and 0-2500rpm

variable speed at the spindle is kind of nice, but make sure its PWM so you dont loose power, only change speed.

Jon