Build Thread New (to me) WM30 mill. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Lord it's been a while since I started this thread. So other things have come up in the mean time and sidelined this project but I'm back working on it now. I determined the motor RPM at 3950 so that lets me set the ratios for the drive pulleys. I have a design setup for the belt drive mounting. I'll be pulling the motor controls off the head. I'll tear the spindle down as well. Figure I'll turn the gears off the upper spindle while I have it torn down.

Target is 5500 RPM for high range. 2200 for the low range.

I was able to grind up a 40 degree form tool for the poly-v grooves. The point is not radiused properly but it really doesn't matter from what I can see of diagrams for J profile belts. Once the belts from McMaster arrive I'll test fit the grooves and if all is well I'll complete the pulleys.

I'll get some photos up tonight or tomorrow.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The overall design of the belt drive:

I'm planning to attach to the top of the upper spindle housing for the spindle pulley. There is a pretty decent chunk of material to grab onto on this mill. I'll set 6 grub screws around the perimeter and dimple the spindle housing in all six positions by about 0.065". I'm hoping that will allow the pulley to be secured such that lateral force will not tend to wobble it off. Option B would be some way to grab the spindle splines and do away with the attachment to the upper spindle housing if plan A proves not to work.

Machining the pulley blank:

1.) 3.5" Solid Stock squared up on the lathe. This was a bit too much for the metal chop saw I bought this summer from Northern Tool too replace my abrasive saw that finally died. I had to make about 40% of the cut, rotate 90 degrees and make the remainder of the cut. That left some rather poor ends that needed a lot of facing to clean up.

2.) Machine the final diameter of the collar that will house the grub screws that grip the motor shaft. 1200 RPM and 0.050" DOC, 0.050" per rev with a CCMT insert had streams of chips flying off the stock. Still took a good number of passes to reduce that diameter to 1".

3.) Machine the rough dimensions of the pulley steps. 3.4" and 2.13"

4.) Grind up a tool bit for the 40* angle of the micro-v ribs on a poly-v belt. I'll be using a 4 rib belt "J section". Belt is about 3/8" wide and 18.625" in circumference. I lucked out on my design because the middle position of the adjustment in the motor plate creates an ~18.8" circumference. That was the smallest belt in that profile McMaster offered. Tested the tool out and it seems to do a decent job on the grooves. My grinding skills suck and cobalt tools take FOREVER to grind when start creating a significant length of cut. I am wishing I had made the belt channel a bit wider. Clearance may be a problem on the right-hand side of the pulley channel as it stands.

I'll wait for the belt to arrive to test the fit in the grooves before I finalize the motor pulley.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1084-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1085-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1087-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1092-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1094-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-32-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-36-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-37-a  

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finalizing the Z profile of the pulley:

Plunge roughed the pulley diameter between the flanges at 750 RPM using GTN cutoff insert:

Checking the belt width in the channel:

Finished pulley diameters and ready to cut grooves - 1200 rpm with TCGT carbide:

Cut the grooves into the pully. 0.092" spacing, 0.080 depth. 300 RPM with ground 40 degree HSS tool bit, it starts to chatter a bit at ANY pause on in-feed. This was straight plunge, not compound angle cutting on the flank. so asking a lot with no back rake and large diameters:

I've torn down the head and removed the electronics. I'm pulling out all the manual motor controls in preparation to have CNC control the spindle. Ready to bore the shaft to mate with the motor. Runout currently measures at 0.0005". That may have to wait to next week.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-101-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1111-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1113-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1116-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1125-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1128-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Completed the boring for the motor shaft on the motor pulley (lower left in photo). Made it a close, but still slip-fit onto the shaft. It doesn't wiggle, but you don't have to really cram it on either. From here I need to add the holes for the grub screws, the lightning pockets, and then turn or mill down the extra hub material used to hold it for machining.

On the lathe I moved on to turning the spindle pulley base. Rough outside and bore dimensions are reached. I'm aiming for a bit tighter fit on this but not press either.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1170-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well today was a bust day. After I finished the spindle pulley bore for the upper spindle I was a little disappointed with the fit. Came out loose likely because I lack a 2-3" micrometer and I'd have to unmount to test fit since that part is anchored in the head casting. It's not a disaster or anything but more on the loose end of slip-fit than I wanted. I decided that it was time to get the

I finally worked up the nerve to tear the spindle down. I wanted to properly model at least the upper spindle and lower spindle cartridge as well as more accurately map out the the head casting. After trying a bit last night to use some brass stock and a dead blow to work the upper spindle out I quickly gave up that route. This morning I headed out the the 'ol Horror Freight to get what I should have grabbed years ago. I picked up a 12 ton shop press. Put it together and got to work pressing out the upper spindle.

There is a snap ring that must be removed in order to push the spindle out and it's a bear of ring to squeeze too. My snap ring pliers were not sturdy enough for the job. I was able to get it out with a pair of needle nose that just happened to fit. Breaking the upper spindle loose for the first time took a good bit of force. More than I really liked. After that it popped out in a few seconds. I could have beat on that till morning with the dead blow and probably wold not have budged it. From there I used Ye 'Ole Trusty Flat head to remove the 6207 lower bearing from the upper spindle. I got the upper 6211 bearing started like that but could not work it all the way off. I also couldn't just press it out because the gear is just about the same diameter so no way to get ahold of the bearing. So.... I decided to go ahead and fully commit. I chucked it up in the lathe and turned off the gear teeth and as much as I could past that with my tool clearance. This allowed me to get ahold of the big bearing in the press and get that end free too. From there I went ahead and removed all the gear teeth on the upper spindle body.

I think I'll go ahead and get new bearings for this part too. To me they felt like they had a hint of notchiness to me. Like the faint feel of a stepper motor. Last time I changed them on the small mill they felt like butter, not like this. Possible my attempt to drive them out with the hammer did it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1177-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1179-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1182-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1183-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1184-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1185-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1186-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1188-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Using 2 4 6 blocks in a press?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Needed the elevation. The plates were not tall enough and the gap in the press base would have interfered. They still measure 4"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With the casting now empty I am correcting the 3D model I obtained online. There are some discrepancies that were obvious now so I'm doing my best to measure out and correct those. A tedious process of refilling the solid and then adding the corrected features. I'm noticing that measuring and modeling a finished casting is... well... imprecise. Paint goop thickness, rough internal spaces, cavities with sloped walls. I'm trying to work out the best position I can for the important features like the bearing bore and quill bore. The other thing I need to very carefully check is the position and spacing of the bolt holes used to hold the old motor plate on the top. Those are re-used in my design for the motor stands and I don't want to find out they are 0.020" just too far apart to work.

I've modeled up the upper spindle completely (minus actual gear teeth). For now the lower spindle is a functioning 'black box' model. I have the external features represented and jointed correctly, but the inside is not represented. Since I don't plan to crack that open beyond resetting the pre-load and maybe replacing the grease, It's likely going to remain that way.

Nachi bearings are on their way for the 6211 and 6207 deep groove ball bearings of the upper spindle. Once they arrive I'll get them pressed on and replace the upper spindle back into the head once I am confident of the measurements.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Completed the hole circle around the upper spindle body. I decided to make them flat bottom holes rather than drill so I milled them with a 3/16" endmill as 0.240" holes to make them a fairly close fit for an M6 grub screw. Used that crappy little indexer I made for this job. I keep thinking I'll make a vertical mount for my rotary table to replace that but for most jobs it works 'good enough'. With a ring of 6 of them I don't think the smaller hardware will be a strength issue. This will mean that my placement of the holes in the spindle pulley blank will need to be very accurate as well. I'm measuring and re-measuring for that operation next.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1192-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1193-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Job #2 is now done with the 'spindexer'. I got the tapped holes on the spindle pulley finished tonight. Fairly simple, 60* spacing, a spot drill to set the location followed by a 5mm drill for the grub screw holes and then a manual kiss with the spot drill to chamfer after tapping. It all went pretty well. I was concerned about my holes mating up correctly because I made the holes on the upper spindle a close fit clearance. There would not be a lot of wiggle room for misalignment and I'm doing this in 2 separate operations. I checked, double checked, triple checked the distance to the inner wall on the pulley to be sure I was positioning for the operation correctly. It all went off without a hitch really. I used a guide with my tap handle to keep the threads from wallowing around. When it slid on and seated on the upper spindle the holes lined up perfectly and the set screws are just long enough to bury down just below the chamfer in pulley wall. It feels completely solid once they are all torqued down.

Next I put it on the lathe to see if my results on run-out would be disappointing. At first it showed about 0.004" TIR on the pulley blank section. I know my chuck is good for about 0.0005" of that. The upper bearing journal was reading right at 0.001" so. With a bit of careful tightening of the grubs I was able to knock the pulley blank down to 0.0015". I'm pretty pleased with that. Once that is set then I can work my way around snugging all the bolts up till they are locked on tight and maintain that reading. For once I am happy with my results on a job like this. The pulley is sitting 6" from the chuck so I consider that pretty darn good.

Next job is M8 grub screws on the motor pulley hub.

In this build I am not going to repeat the mistake of using imperial sized hardware on my custom stuff. That became a real pain in the keaster on the PM-25, when you had to have every size of metric and imperial allen wrench and box wrench to work on it. This will be done in all metric since China made that choice for me

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1194-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1195-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1196-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1201-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1199-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, finally finished up the lathe work on the pulleys. I'm still going to need to do some mill work to make a keyway and key to fit the motor shaft. I'd like to take advantage of the fact that I have a keyway but I'm not going to broach it. It will be milled into the pulley and have a "D" shape profile to make the mill work easy. VXB sent me the wrong upper bearing (6211ZZE). Instead of a shielded bearing I was sent an open unit. I guess the warehouse picker messed up since the order clearly shows it was shielded. So that will set me back a week or more before I can put the head back together.

Next up is the motor plate supports and then the motor plate itself. The supports are a complex job needing to be flipped for top and bottom since they are ~2" high. They also have machining done on the sides as well it will take some time to get them knocked out but then it should be possible to test out the setup.

I'm working up the rough outline of the electronics now. External cabinet on the side of the stand will house:

- 5V, 12V power supplies
    - NUC industrial PC running LinuxCNC (rt_preempt version).
    https://www.logicsupply.com/cl100/
    - Mesa 7i92 Ethernet Motion Control connected direct to NUC hardware ethernet.
    - USB to ethernet adapter for non-realtime network connection.
    - HDMI and USB interface panel.
    - Controller Power Switch and Emergency Stop

Inside the stand:
    - LeadShine MX4660
    - Stepper Power Supply
    - Spindle Motor Controller
    - Solid State Relays for CNC, AUX, and Spindle mains.

8MM Grub Screw Holes added:

Rough Spindle pulley diameters cut:

Outer belt flanges grooved:

Poly-V profile cut:

Finished Set with motor pulley shaft at final dimension:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1206-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1209-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1230-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1232-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1234-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1235-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now working on the stands and motor plate. This was my 2nd foray into HSM machining toolpaths using Fusion 360. Cutting at 60IPM at 0.6" DOC and 0.015 WOC at 5000RPM with a SC 3/8" endmill. Could probably ramp that feed rate up a little but you could tell it was starting to reach some limitations as the motor could not maintain 5000RPM while engaged in the cut. I'll experiment more with time to see how fast I can realistically run with that WOC. Already hitting 0.004" Maybe get brave enough to try the whole 1" DOC.

I did require a flip of the part since it involves a 1.9" vertical profile. Tried my extended reach carbide endmill but it has a defect in the grind and leaves a very bad ridge in the cut surface at about 0.75" up from the tool base. Once I have both stands finished on the vertical profile I'll cut the openings in the sides of the stands.

1/2 of the stand vertical profile cut:

Flipped and finished a 0.002" misalignment in Y from the stock I was using (must remember to create machined reference surface on filp parts!):

New stand design with window to make belt changes a little easier to accomplish:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-07-05-3-56-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1237-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1236-jpg  
    Last edited by photomankc; 07-05-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got in touch with Scott from Benchtop Precision and I'm going to be going to linear rails for the Z Axis. He has capacity to machine the dovetails off the column and saddle. I'm planning to run with 20mm Heavy Duty rails for this application. The WMD30-LV head with spindle and motor is fairly heavy. I also need to think of some way to brake the head when not powered as I imagine it will want to go spinning down the column like it's on skates... because... well, it is on skates.

VXB is correcting the error on the bearing they sent me (6211-ZZE) and having the replacements shipped overnight. I'm hoping to have the upper spindle back in the head this weekend. I need to find or make a tool to interface with the spanner nuts to adjust the preload on the on the spindle cartridge. All my tools from last time on the PM-25 don't have enough reach.

Looking forward to being done with the tedium of adjusting gibb strips on the Z carriage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This weekend I wanted to get the head put back together and complete the stands and motor plate for the belt drive. I'm pretty darn close to complete but I will need to divert my time to some home repairs soon. I completed both of the stands including the side window cutout and tapping for M6 screws. Saturday I returned the upper spindle back to the head. Using the shop press I pushed the shaft and new Nachi bearings back into the bore. I used spare stock to press on the both the inside and outside races but there was no way to avoid some load on the lower bearing as it also pressed into it's bore. After that the bearings felt pretty stiff. I suspected that they were a bit squeezed together from the press in. So I flipped the head over and pressed the shaft back just a bit. With that the bearings felt much less stiff just smooth with the normal grease drag. Then I removed the troublesome intermediate gear shaft and selector shaft. It was a bear because those snap rings were dug in there good. I was finally able to get one dug out and hammered the shaft out through that bearing bore. If anyone needs a spare plastic gear for the WMD-30 I have one now!

I then assembled the stands onto the head. They make very handy carry handles! After that I got installed the spindle pulley and carefully tightened up the set screws into the pockets in the in the upper spindle. With some care I was able to set them up tight with just a bit over .001" of runout. Once everything is finalized I'll add some blue loctight to them to fight any backing out. Then I moved on to setting up to make the motor plate. I used my handy vice-held tooling plate for the setup since this was going to use up all the available Y axis travel. I zeroed to a punch mark on the plate and cut all the inside features. With the inside completed I then setup new clamps using the large inner bore. Once the inner clamps were secure I removed the outer clamps and proceeded to cut the outside profile of the plate. A bit slow since I had to make a full cutter width pass due to limited travel so the entire profile was slowed down by that. Plate came out pretty well perfect though.

I believe the motor originally used M8 screws to attach to the gear cover plate on the original mill. I decided that I would prefer it if everything routine could be handled with one size of allan wrench. So I opted for M6 screws and some beefy washers. Seems to work fine. Also gave me some more wiggle room if my measurements of the hole pattern in the motor were a bit off. Turned out to be pretty well bang on though.

With the motor plate done and tapped I went ahead and assembled the whole thing to test out the belt spacing. On the high speed end it's a bit shorter than I would have preferred but I imagine belt stretch will loosen it up a little bit. The low gear pulley is a little better but still runs the plate pretty far forward. I'll keep my eyes out for 4 grove belts with a bit more circumference. So far though it looks like it will work out. I need to rig up the motor controller again so I can test it out under power and verify the ratios are giving me the right numbers.

Window cutout completed on stand.

Stands installed on the head:

Upper spindle and pulley installed, pretty low runout:

Look Ma! No gears!

Sanity check on the belt circumfrence:

High speed (plate has to ride pretty far forward):

Low speed:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1246-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1247-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1251-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1253-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1254-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1264-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1263-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1272-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1271-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That really looks nice.
    Are you staying with the stock spindle TRB bearings?

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I am planning to stick with the TRB's. Im going to ease up the preload a touch. If I need to I can pull them and re grease with Kluber but I doubt it will be needed. The preload is just a bit stiff and I suspect if that's eased up a bit it will handle the increased RPM without overheating.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My MESA 7i42M is on the way. That will be the real-time pulse generator for the steppers. It will connect to LinuxCNC via a dedicated cable to the hardware NIC. The PC will have 2 NIC cards so the 2nd NIC will connect to the home network for file-sharing and remote console access. It's in a "NUC" form factor that includes DIN rail mounts so the plan will be to extend the USB and HDMI ports to the cabinet walls and mount the PC and MESA card inside the control box. Inside the mill stand I'll put the controls that drive the steppers, spindle and accessories.

The initial control will be spartan.

<ENABLE> From LinuxCNC -> Controls: Activates the Solid State Relays that power the MX4660, spindle drive, and accessories. <ENABLE> is broken by E-Stop switch which powers off all the motor drives.
    <CPUMP> From LinuxCNC -> Controls: Signal to MX4660 that the PC is now in control.
    FAULT From Controls to LinuxCNC: Signals E-Stop or any other failure back to LinuxCNC as E-STOP to inform the control PC of a failure.
    <HOME/LIMIT> From Controls to LinuxCNC: Signal contact with the home switches on all axis wired as a series of N/C switches.

After the basics are working then I can breakout the second header on the MESA card to add some additional indicator lights, coolant outputs, and an encoder wheel for a more robust panel.

MESA 7i92M P2 Connector (DB25)

Code:
     1      0   IOPort       <ENABLE>                                         <Out>
     2      2   IOPort       StepGen                 0        Step/Table1     (Out)
     3      4   IOPort       StepGen                 0        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     4      6   IOPort       StepGen                 1        Step/Table1     (Out)
     5      8   IOPort       StepGen                 1        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     6      9   IOPort       StepGen                 2        Step/Table1     (Out)
     7     10   IOPort       StepGen                 2        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     8     11   IOPort       StepGen                 3        Step/Table1     (Out)
     9     12   IOPort       StepGen                 3        Dir/Table2      (Out)
    10     13   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-A          (In)
    11     14   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-B          (In)
    12     15   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-IDX        (In)
    13     16   IOPort       <HOME/LIMIT>         				  <In>
    14      1   IOPort       PWM                     0        PWM             (Out)
    15      3   IOPort       <FAULT>       					  <In>
    16      5   IOPort       StepGen (CPUMP)         4        Step/Table1     (Out)
    17      7   IOPort       <CW/CCW>             			          <Out>

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spent some time today working on the new controls for the mill. I have always wanted to set this up properly rather than the jury-rigged system I've been running. Working on the main control cabinet. It will house the signaling power supplies, the NUC PC, and the MESA card. That's about all I can cram into the fiberglass cabinet I have and keep it tidy. I've been collecting a bit of DIN rail based gear. Terminals, power supplies, and some custom clips for various boards, and cable management channel. I just got the rocker power switches and I should have some 15A breakers coming.

Next month I should have the PC and some panel mount USB and HDMI. Also need some 12 or 120V muffin fans. The PC and power supplies are going to generate some heat. I will also get some indicator lights for "MAIN PWR", "5V", "12V", "ENABLE". Each of the DIN DC supplies includes a "PWR OK" relay. I'll route E-STOP through those. Any failure of the 5 or 12V supplies should then place the system in E-STOP.

The mill stand will have the 50V DC supply, the MX4660, and the KBIC. The main control cabinet will turn power on and off for the mill stand systems. I'll use RJ45 for digital signals between the stand and the cabinet. I will have to route a DB25 cable between them though.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1280-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Curious...don't see any fuses.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, this was just a test run, final design will have breaker between power switch and 120v terminal blocks. I'm waiting for the push button breakers I ordered to arrive. Both the main control cabinet and mill stand controls will have 15A breakers installed. I may actually switch to a 5A breaker for the main cabinet though since I can't work the 50v stepper supply and MX4660 into there as I had planned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast