Build Thread New (to me) WM30 mill. - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Great progress! Its really taking shape and that SSR heat sink looks "smart" !!!!!

Last edited by atomarc; 09-21-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    "THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! High praise from the current king of beautiful conversion work!

The SSR heatsinks really worked well in addition to looking nice. The SSR went from too-hot-to-touch to just over room temperature. The heatsink is just barely warm to the touch after 45 minutes of spindle run time. This should help the SSR's last a good long time as I also went with ~3X maximum running current on the SSR's rating (16A vs 45A). I added some thermal paste under them for maximum heat transfer.

It's starting to feel like I may actually get this done. The pan is going to be hard to get done reasonably. I'm worried the cost may come in at a prohibitive level, but I really want the metal pan. The first local place that I hit up for it said they would have to spend a lot of time welding as they couldn't make it with those bends and referred me to another place with more elaborate machines.

It's looking like my lack of welding skill, tools, or inclination may cost me as much as the machine did. I'm betting that an 80/20 enclosure and this pan will cost north of $2,000 before it's all said and done. The enclosure may be a 'next-year' outlay. I can always just erect the basic frame and do the heavy shower-curtain thing until funds recover. This will mean giving up the Z axis linear rails I was hoping for. That will probably have to be a project for after we get our cabin construction finished which has most of my play money tied up to a stake.

It really is getting exciting though to see some physical things taking shape.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

My pan for a small machine was less than 300 dollars. It even included an auger tube.
    I did use 80/20 for the enclosure. If I were to do it again. I would use the same sheet metal shop to fab the sides and insert my own polycarbonate windows.
    Chasing leaks on 80/20 is futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you mind sharing what your dimensions were and maybe your shop? If the my locals all want stupid money for this it might be worth the freight charge to use them.

Interesting observation on the 80/20. I'm not going to be running fire-hose flood but still would not want it dripping out everywhere.
    The local guy could probably do the 90 bends for the back and left/right sides, he just was not keen on a lot of cutting/welding.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

36 x 30 x 10. Here is a link to the build years ago.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dyna-m...oftware-2.html
    I am surprised I didnt take a few more pictures. It is torn down at the moment as usual.
    The shop was just a sheet metal shop in Houston. They specialize in AC pans, ducts and welcomed the opportunity.
    They have moved from the location where I used them but they are still around.
    Vogler Sheet Metal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good info. Mine will measure in at just about 70" x 30" x 9". First quote is about $700. I'll send out to a few other places as well, but that doesn't seem outrageously far off since it's about double the size of what you did.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New (to me) WM30 mill.

Though it is twice the size it isnt the twice the work and steel is cheap.

Definitely shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We talked about design changes that might help get the price down. He mentioned that they needed to use a special-order sheet size because of some of the dimensions. By knocking 4" off the right hand side without the stepper motor I can save some money. I'm working up a dimensioned drawing to give to a couple other places too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I am tired after this weekend. Did a lot of work on getting more cut outs planned and executed and installing the power pigtails into the cabinet. I also took the opportunity to straighten up the cabling from the machine interface panel. There will be no need for 4 feet of pigtail on those. I decided to mount the electronics horizontal on the exiting shelf inside the cabinet. That keeps me from making all the lower section space unavailable as it would be with a vertical mount. Decided to add in a large access panel in the rear of the top section of the shelf. This makes it much easier to work on the electronics while they are installed with a 600 pound machine over the top of them. An outlet panel was added for the coolant and auxiliary electrical. Each has a roughly 4A budget if used together or 8 if used alone. If something needs more then an external contactor or relay could be activated by the AC supplied to switch a separate load. It think that should be sufficient for a coolant pump.

I'm thinking I may have to redo the paint job on the stand after cutting the holes. Even with cardboard under the jigsaw, it was still a bit hard on the paint. Then my sharpie layout lines bonded themselves to the paint at a molecular level so trying to remove them also removes a layer of paint as well. Sigh. I'll likely use Rustoleum Hammered in dark green to match the existing paint as well as possible. That will also be used on the steel 4x4 tube used at the top and bottom for supports.

I'm closing in on a plan for the coolant drain and return. The drain pan will have one or two 1" holes cut at the rear. Those will drain free into a basin or chute of some kind that then drains back into the coolant tank. This makes it possible to pull the drain pan completely out and dump the chips after a job. I know it is not very large but It's 100X better than what I currently have. The drain pan will have an inner lip that holds a screen to sift out the chips. The lower portion of the drain pan can hold about 1/2 gallon of fluid before it backs up over the chip screen and the total capacity is just over 3.5 gallons. So about 3 gallons for chips before it's time to empty less when you consider they will likely mound up and not evenly distribute. The controls in the cabinet are protected by a U shaped drain pan guide. This prevents any dripping into the center opening of the stand. The bolts holding the side supports into the cabinet and the bolts going to the mill are separate as well. This prevents a drip from the mill bolts from riding on down into the cabinet. Finally the electronics are positioned such that they are not directly under the bolt holes above. That's about as much risk mitigation as I can do for having the electronics below the flood coolant drain path.

I'm looking at this as the flood system:
    7 Gallon Coolant Tank System | Grizzly Industrial

I also got the stand mounted onto 4x4 steel tube and then mounted the machine castors onto that. Picked up a set rated for 600lbs per foot for 2400lbs total. Plenty for machine, stand, enclosure, fixtures, and work.

Later this week I go camping on the 'ol country ranch and forget all things machine shop for a few days. Shooting, swimming, campfires, coyotes and owls. I need the break. After I get back I'll start working on the mounting of the 4x4 tubing for the pan/mill supports and getting some cable management going on inside the cabinet and the access panel made. Then I'll look at getting the chip pan and drain pan, and drain guard plate made up by a fab house.

Overview of stand with drain pan:

With the chip pan removed:

Control cabinet plugged into the interface panel:

Right side with AC outlet panel and access cutout:

Electronics viewed from opening in top of the cabinet:

Electronics viewed through front door opening:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-09-26-3-27-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-09-26-3-28-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1514-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1520-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1515-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1519-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe I missed it but why are you going with the Grizzly stand? Is that from your g0704?

I picked up a used converted PM-30 long table last July and was mostly glad I did, most things were done sufficiently. I have remade a few but would have been able to without the cnc. I recently took mine off the factory stand because I didn't like how tippy it was, literally tipped over sideways one day. Good thing I was standing there to stop it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That stand was selected because it has a fairly wide stance and heavy gauge construction, also because I am not able to weld up my own. It's a separate stand that Grizzly sells. I suspect it's made for the big round column mills. There was one other I was looking at which was a bit taller but I decided on the Grizzly stand because I drive through Springfield, MO all the time on my way to south Missouri which saves me shipping charges since I could just pick it up from the warehouse. It was a good size for both electronics and supporting an eventual enclosure. The only thing I really wish is that it were a bit taller, maybe 4" or so. I want the mill table to sit between 39 and 44" off the floor which is where my current mill is and that required about 4" of elevation in addition to the space for the drain drawer below the chip pan, hence the 4x4 steel tube that the castor feet attach to. It's hard to see but the stand is nice and wide. I'd estimate 14ga or better steel walls. It's a bear to saw through. The top surface is about 1/4" thick. It's a stout, heavy bugger.

Some may ask... why the separate fiberglass cabinet for the MESA card and power supply. Really there is not a great answer to that. Somewhere along the way my brain got a radar lock on that idea and I just carried it forward. There would have been plenty of interior space to use to mount all the electronics other than the PC into there. I think that was my original hangup. I thought it would be easier to interface all the USB, HDMI, and other ports through the plastic cabinet. But since it was actually fiberglass, boy was I wrong on that. If I were to start out today I would probably install it all into the Grizzly cabinet and call it good.

I know what you mean about the tippy stand. My PM-25 came with a very similar stand and tendency to tip, especially with some weight being slung around on the table. I made up a base from overlapped 2x6 lumber to raise it up a tad and make a much wider footprint. That helped IMMENSELY.

I may get longer sections of 4x4 steel tube to put on the bottom. I think I'd prefer them to reach out under the bottom foot of the stand. Looks goofier in person than my 3D model made it look with them just going under the stand's original mount points.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The chip pan is ordered and underway. Will be 12 to 15 days before I get delivery. I got a number of quotes and all were within 20 dollars of each other so I just picked the place that had the best reviews and was closest to my route home from work. The tray will be constructed from 12ga steel so should be very stout and able to support walls later on. Color will be beige to match the column and head of the machine. Imagine painting this monster will be a fun job.

Most other stuff is on hold right now. Got to let funds recover a bit. I'm a little miffed I did not track all the expenses, then again, maybe that's for the best!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The chip pan is complete!

This thing is STOUT! Need to get it washed down and some primer on it pretty quick. Don't want to let any rust get started on it. It weighs every bit as much as the cabinet itself. Wish I had the gear and know-how to make this myself but I am pleased with the outcome. Final paint color will be a beige to match the column/head of the milling machine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1634-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1633-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry. I answered my own question.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234