Build Thread New (to me) WM30 mill. - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Great progress! Its really taking shape and that SSR heat sink looks "smart" !!!!!

Last edited by atomarc; 09-21-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    "THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! High praise from the current king of beautiful conversion work!

The SSR heatsinks really worked well in addition to looking nice. The SSR went from too-hot-to-touch to just over room temperature. The heatsink is just barely warm to the touch after 45 minutes of spindle run time. This should help the SSR's last a good long time as I also went with ~3X maximum running current on the SSR's rating (16A vs 45A). I added some thermal paste under them for maximum heat transfer.

It's starting to feel like I may actually get this done. The pan is going to be hard to get done reasonably. I'm worried the cost may come in at a prohibitive level, but I really want the metal pan. The first local place that I hit up for it said they would have to spend a lot of time welding as they couldn't make it with those bends and referred me to another place with more elaborate machines.

It's looking like my lack of welding skill, tools, or inclination may cost me as much as the machine did. I'm betting that an 80/20 enclosure and this pan will cost north of $2,000 before it's all said and done. The enclosure may be a 'next-year' outlay. I can always just erect the basic frame and do the heavy shower-curtain thing until funds recover. This will mean giving up the Z axis linear rails I was hoping for. That will probably have to be a project for after we get our cabin construction finished which has most of my play money tied up to a stake.

It really is getting exciting though to see some physical things taking shape.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

My pan for a small machine was less than 300 dollars. It even included an auger tube.
    I did use 80/20 for the enclosure. If I were to do it again. I would use the same sheet metal shop to fab the sides and insert my own polycarbonate windows.
    Chasing leaks on 80/20 is futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you mind sharing what your dimensions were and maybe your shop? If the my locals all want stupid money for this it might be worth the freight charge to use them.

Interesting observation on the 80/20. I'm not going to be running fire-hose flood but still would not want it dripping out everywhere.
    The local guy could probably do the 90 bends for the back and left/right sides, he just was not keen on a lot of cutting/welding.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

36 x 30 x 10. Here is a link to the build years ago.
    DM 2400 refit.
    I am surprised I didnt take a few more pictures. It is torn down at the moment as usual.
    The shop was just a sheet metal shop in Houston. They specialize in AC pans, ducts and welcomed the opportunity.
    They have moved from the location where I used them but they are still around.
    Vogler Sheet Metal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good info. Mine will measure in at just about 70" x 30" x 9". First quote is about $700. I'll send out to a few other places as well, but that doesn't seem outrageously far off since it's about double the size of what you did.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New (to me) WM30 mill.

Though it is twice the size it isnt the twice the work and steel is cheap.

Definitely shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We talked about design changes that might help get the price down. He mentioned that they needed to use a special-order sheet size because of some of the dimensions. By knocking 4" off the right hand side without the stepper motor I can save some money. I'm working up a dimensioned drawing to give to a couple other places too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456