Build Thread New (to me) WM30 mill. - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

My MESA 7i42M is on the way. That will be the real-time pulse generator for the steppers. It will connect to LinuxCNC via a dedicated cable to the hardware NIC. The PC will have 2 NIC cards so the 2nd NIC will connect to the home network for file-sharing and remote console access. It's in a "NUC" form factor that includes DIN rail mounts so the plan will be to extend the USB and HDMI ports to the cabinet walls and mount the PC and MESA card inside the control box. Inside the mill stand I'll put the controls that drive the steppers, spindle and accessories.

The initial control will be spartan.

<ENABLE> From LinuxCNC -> Controls: Activates the Solid State Relays that power the MX4660, spindle drive, and accessories. <ENABLE> is broken by E-Stop switch which powers off all the motor drives.
    <CPUMP> From LinuxCNC -> Controls: Signal to MX4660 that the PC is now in control.
    FAULT From Controls to LinuxCNC: Signals E-Stop or any other failure back to LinuxCNC as E-STOP to inform the control PC of a failure.
    <HOME/LIMIT> From Controls to LinuxCNC: Signal contact with the home switches on all axis wired as a series of N/C switches.

After the basics are working then I can breakout the second header on the MESA card to add some additional indicator lights, coolant outputs, and an encoder wheel for a more robust panel.

MESA 7i92M P2 Connector (DB25)

Code:
     1      0   IOPort       <ENABLE>                                         <Out>
     2      2   IOPort       StepGen                 0        Step/Table1     (Out)
     3      4   IOPort       StepGen                 0        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     4      6   IOPort       StepGen                 1        Step/Table1     (Out)
     5      8   IOPort       StepGen                 1        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     6      9   IOPort       StepGen                 2        Step/Table1     (Out)
     7     10   IOPort       StepGen                 2        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     8     11   IOPort       StepGen                 3        Step/Table1     (Out)
     9     12   IOPort       StepGen                 3        Dir/Table2      (Out)
    10     13   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-A          (In)
    11     14   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-B          (In)
    12     15   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-IDX        (In)
    13     16   IOPort       <HOME/LIMIT>         				  <In>
    14      1   IOPort       PWM                     0        PWM             (Out)
    15      3   IOPort       <FAULT>       					  <In>
    16      5   IOPort       StepGen (CPUMP)         4        Step/Table1     (Out)
    17      7   IOPort       <CW/CCW>             			          <Out>

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spent some time today working on the new controls for the mill. I have always wanted to set this up properly rather than the jury-rigged system I've been running. Working on the main control cabinet. It will house the signaling power supplies, the NUC PC, and the MESA card. That's about all I can cram into the fiberglass cabinet I have and keep it tidy. I've been collecting a bit of DIN rail based gear. Terminals, power supplies, and some custom clips for various boards, and cable management channel. I just got the rocker power switches and I should have some 15A breakers coming.

Next month I should have the PC and some panel mount USB and HDMI. Also need some 12 or 120V muffin fans. The PC and power supplies are going to generate some heat. I will also get some indicator lights for "MAIN PWR", "5V", "12V", "ENABLE". Each of the DIN DC supplies includes a "PWR OK" relay. I'll route E-STOP through those. Any failure of the 5 or 12V supplies should then place the system in E-STOP.

The mill stand will have the 50V DC supply, the MX4660, and the KBIC. The main control cabinet will turn power on and off for the mill stand systems. I'll use RJ45 for digital signals between the stand and the cabinet. I will have to route a DB25 cable between them though.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1280-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1280-jpg  
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Curious...don't see any fuses.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, this was just a test run, final design will have breaker between power switch and 120v terminal blocks. I'm waiting for the push button breakers I ordered to arrive. Both the main control cabinet and mill stand controls will have 15A breakers installed. I may actually switch to a 5A breaker for the main cabinet though since I can't work the 50v stepper supply and MX4660 into there as I had planned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Added a bit more to the controls:

- 10A Breaker between VAC in and power switch.
    - Neon A/C power indicator light.
    - 10mm LED indicator for Machine Enable.
    - 120mm 115VAC Fan.

- Picked up an E-Stop mushroom switch.

I got a few more DIN terminal blocks, colored for clarity, for the AC terminals. I need a few more green for the grounds and some more red, yellow, and black terminals for the 2nd tier sub panel.

The fan is a little funny. It certainly moves the air, but it's pretty loud. I can feel the air movement across the table from the fan !

I was able to get enough of the LinuxCNC/MESA system up to confirm basic operation. There is no graphical method to generate the HAL and INI files for a MESA 7i92M however the 5i25 is a very similar device just accessed via PCI instead of ethernet. I was able to come up with a pretty bare bones 5i25 based configuration and simply modify a few lines for the 7i92. I connected the MESA card with a straight through ethernet cable and used the default IP of 192.168.1.121/24 for communication. First I used the mesaflash utility to push the firmware for the MX4660 to the card. Then I fired up the LinuxCNC config for this system and it came right up. A quick check of the X step pin with a multimeter HZ counter showed the correct pin was being pulsed as the X axis was jogged. Should be fairly simple to build up the rest of the system I/O from this point.

Next month I will have the NUC PC for the controls and can make a pretty good run at getting the main controls up and running.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1298-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1298-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I'm getting close to wrapping up the building of the Controls Cabinet (CCAB). The second tier contains a DB25 breakout that lets me breakout the second I/O header on the 7i92. That will provide the signals for fwd/rev and coolant on/off and one accessory on/off. The rest will be used for a small control panel to house a few handy buttons for things like run, pause, stop, goto home, goto zero, etc. I'm using pairs of RJ45 cables to carry those. Two go to the Machine Cabinet (MCAB), and 2 go to the control panel (CPAN). I found some handy dual RJ45 breakouts on Amazon for that use.

The NUC computer did not work out. The graphics adapter used by it did not seem to want to work with Linux so there was no way to get LinuxCNC running. That was a bit of a disappointment. Attempted a few fixes but none were successful. So the NUC is going back. I have a older system that I have been testing with and there is no reason that it can't do the job. The up side is that allows me room for better organization of the 2nd tier components. So the PC will connect to the controls via a pass-through RJ-45 connection. External PC/Monitor will be switched on via the two switched 120V outlets on the side. I'll look for a way to mount the PC somewhere out of the way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1402-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1400-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1398-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man,

This has been one of the harder parts of the process. It's not so much the electronics... I'm pretty decent at understanding that, but physical issues involved in interfacing them to the world that has been killing me. Mainly just figuring out what connectors I want to use and how much wire length to leave. Then the issue of every switch, passthrough and light having it's own set of dimensions. I've paid as much for the drills and hole saws I needed as I have for the actual control electronics. I really wish I had not gotten this fiberglass enclosure but I didn't read the fine print for the "plastic enclosure". It's hard on tools and drilling big holes that are too small for hole saws really sucks.

However, I do have the bulk of the mounting done. I had to mount the fan and electrical outlets externally. There was simply no way I could cram them inside and make it serviceable at all. The external AC outlet is by far my least favorite aspect of the look but it's the best I can do without buying a new enclosure and that is not going to happen. A quick test showed the controls added so far are working. The fault LED is missing but that isn't going to be functional until the rest of the controls with the E-Stop are put together. I will also clean up some of the cable lengths and connectors. I found some Molex connectors locally that are ideal for the LED connections and I need a few more of those before I continue.

I replaced the 120V fan with a 12V unit. With the NUC computer removed from the interior that amount of airflow was not needed. I'll use that in my machine cabinet to blow across the spindle drive heat sink and keep it nice and cool.

The big 10mm LEDs presented a challenge. The plastic mount grommets I can fin all required a 0.550" hole. The closest drill is 14mm. Apparently that is a unicorn item locally. Nobody has that size and I'm tired of buying more drills and tools. So I think I will use the lathe and make my own mounts based on a drill size I already own. I can use that to protect the leads of the LED's too as the soldered in resistor makes those run pretty long. It is nice to see some light at the end of this tunnel though. Once I add the fault LED and a couple of cover plates (Fan exhaust hole, and DB25 entrance) it will be pretty well complete.

I have started to work out the placement of the components for the machine cabinet. Since the stepper PS and the spindle drive will both be in this cabinet I will need to make two line inputs. The combined load of the two could reach 25A and I don't have any circuits in my shop that go that high. Most are on 20A breakers. I'll need one AC pigtail to feed the steppers that can be plugged in on the same circuit as the control cabinet. The other pigtail will feed straight to the spindle driver through an SSR relay. That keeps the loads separated and within the 20A rating of my shop circuits.

One exciting note is that my KBMM-125R came in. Very nice to have heat sink, fuses, reversing, and terminal strip all contained on one unit. It's bigger than I was thinking though. I will probably need to put it on stilts above the PSU to fit everything onto a removable panel inside the machine stand. Picture has PSU, MX4660, KBMM-125R, terminals and relays in view. I'll start laying it out this weekend. There is NEVER enough space for everything.... NEVER!

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1414-jpg
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1415-jpg
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1416-jpg
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1417-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1414-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1415-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1416-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1417-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progress on some physical and configuration items this weekend.

I finished the shaft key cutout in the motor pulley as well as making a key to fit it. Went pretty well. First run actually fit pretty tight and with either grub screw tightened it locks into place tight enough that I can't budge it with a punch. So that finishes up the physical drive components. I'm going to rig up the old China driver to the spindle motor and give it a test to see where we land on RPM next weekend. I also didn't care for the expedient solution of the LEDs popping out of the cabinet so I made some aluminum bezels for them on the lathe. Reaming the hole through for 3/8" and boring the rear to 0.425" made for a really tight fit. So much so that the LED snaps into place and must be forced back out the hole with some substantial pressure. I turned the back end to 1/2" but oversized by 0.003 hoping for a pretty stiff fit into a 1/2" drilled hole. If not I can use a rubber O-ring to hold the backside or even a small bead of silicone.

I started laying out a virtual control panel in LinuxCNC's AXIS front-end. It's a modification of my earlier virtual panel. I've added controls for the spindle and turning the machine on and off. I will be adding something for coolant on/off as well. It gets a little complex because many of these will be shared between a pendant, the virtual control panel and a later physical control panel. So many of the LinuxCNC HAL signals need to be feed into software OR gates rather than just routed straight into the HAL virtual pins. LinuxCNC doesn't allow 'wired or' configuration. Only 1 output is permitted on any virtual signal network. So you have to route all the possible signal output sources into an OR gate whose output connects to the LinuxCNC input you want to drive.

Currently the Spindle On/Off controls and the Machine On/Off controls are working as well as the axis homing, and axis zeroing buttons. The tool information section works well indicating the current tool, the offset that is loaded and a virtual LED that indicates if offsets are active. I'll post up the final HAL and PostGUI HAL files that I use to make this once it's all working.

Back to the day job grind.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1424-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1422-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1426-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well.... busy weekend. Began work in earnest on the Machine Cabinet controls. First up was getting some stilts made for the KBMM-125R to allow for it to mount above the power supply unit. They were made 5" tall to give clearance to the power supply and some room to exhaust the hot air. Despite the suck of repetitive drilling and tapping in the lathe that went easy enough. Next step was to make DIN adapters for the two relay boards. One set of relays is to handle the switch closures for the spindle direction / on / off control and accessory power for coolant / etc later on. The white relay board is to isolate the outputs for signals for the popular signal from the 7i92. Machine Enable primarily but also likely "Accessory On" as I have not decided what that's for yet. These relays will take the source/sink requirements off the 7i92 I/O pins so they are not driving so many LED loads and are powered from 5V and 12V umbilical power from the control cabinet.

Estop is giving me heartburn. Ultimately what I want is for the EStop to kill both power circuits directly and an internal relay opens signaling the PC to the loss of power as EStop. I have found it difficult to find an EStop switch that handle the load of the spindle and power supply directly. I'm looking at getting one of these guys:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ty_Gate_Relays

Which If i understand it correctly should do what I want. Breaking the EStop switch opens the relays for the loads without the switch itself needing to carry the load currents. That would allow for two circuits of AC hot and one circuit of 5V logic to signal the PC. I originally planned to simply cut the Machine Enable (MEN) signal which would drop out both SSR's to the spindle and power supply but after reading how SSR's can often fail closed circuit I decided against that route.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1432-jpg

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1431-jpg

I also tested the KBMM and belt drive as a whole. I hooked up a power cable and speed pot, jumpered the direction controls, and hooked in the motor for a test drive. The great news is that everything spins and the speed hit 5500 RPM at 90% of the drives maximum output. Without the quill installed the drive is completely quiet. I do see a lot of vibration on the advancing side of the belt but otherwise everything seems to spin smoothly. The bad news is it suffers from what I call 'spline clatter' with the quill and spindle installed. With the spindle unloaded it rattles about pretty unpleasantly. With a bit of load on the spindle it quiets down completely. My PM-25 had this bad when it was gear driven but when I replaced the upper spindle with BTP's custom pulley and spines the noise was gone. Looks like I will need to create something for this machine to quiet that down. It's very annoying. There was no real runout to speak of at the spindle. I saw under 0.0005" and probably more like 0.0003" so my additions don't seem to have impacted that measurement at all.

I did a little mini bearing break in to see where the temps really started to climb. At about 4500RPM things were hanging out in the mid 130's. But at 5000 and above it starts to climb up to 150 degrees. Looks like I will have to take some time to run the upper bearings in at those speeds. I did back the preload on the spindle nose out just a bit. Maybe 1/16 of a turn. Those bearings were following right along with the upper bearings as far as temperature goes. The motor though. WOW, does that sucker get hot. it seemed to stabilize around 180 degrees F during the test. The KBMM is outfitted with the right resistor for a 1.5HP motor but that sucker was putting out heat like crazy. I may use an A/C fan on top to help move some air and keep it cooler. It can't hurt. With it's massive heat sink, the KBMM itself never even got warm.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-frame-21-08-2017-03-07-31-a

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1431-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1432-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-frame-21-08-2017-03-07-31-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

On the Estop. Do you run a contactor for mains power? Simply route the hold line thru the estop switch.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have a contactor in the design but the original control box included one. I was trying to follow the wiring but they had so much wired through so many points I really had no idea what was doing what. It's sitting on my desk (Siemens 3TB41 22-0X). I have no idea what the various contacts are or how they are wired though and there is squat out there to explain it. The data sheet was completely un-helpful. The way I have it wired now is that a relay is triggered by Machine Enable. That relay provides 5V to activate the SSR's for the spindle and steppers mains. The linked safety relay seems to do a similar job as the contactor but with the benefit of example wiring that makes the operation pretty clear.

If any knows what the terminals are on the contactor I'd love to know:

A1 and A2 are down low.
    L1, L2, L3 and T1, T2, T3 are on the middle level.
    NO, NC, NC, NO are on top with a terminal on each side.

I gather NO and NC terminals are straight through relay contacts. But I have no idea what L1/T1 ect are, nor A1/A2 (I suspect that to be the coil but not sure).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll probably show my ignorance here but I thought there were simple I/O connections on the break out board just for a E-stop. The spindle control would be routed through one of the other outputs on the break out board and when the E-stop was tripped, all functions...steppers and spindle would stop. This wouldn't kill any main power or the power to the computer, just the items controlled through the BOB....do I not understand this correctly?

I'm beginning these same wiring chores on my little build although it may be different electrically than yours. I have a main (manual) disconnect for cabinet power, a SSR that will be used for control power ON/OFF and of course several E-stops. The E-stops won't kill main power or even control power but they will stop any stepper movement and will stop the spindle.

Hope this is the proper way to do this. This is with a VFD, ESS and Mach-4

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast