Build Thread New (to me) WM30 mill. - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

My MESA 7i42M is on the way. That will be the real-time pulse generator for the steppers. It will connect to LinuxCNC via a dedicated cable to the hardware NIC. The PC will have 2 NIC cards so the 2nd NIC will connect to the home network for file-sharing and remote console access. It's in a "NUC" form factor that includes DIN rail mounts so the plan will be to extend the USB and HDMI ports to the cabinet walls and mount the PC and MESA card inside the control box. Inside the mill stand I'll put the controls that drive the steppers, spindle and accessories.

The initial control will be spartan.

<ENABLE> From LinuxCNC -> Controls: Activates the Solid State Relays that power the MX4660, spindle drive, and accessories. <ENABLE> is broken by E-Stop switch which powers off all the motor drives.
    <CPUMP> From LinuxCNC -> Controls: Signal to MX4660 that the PC is now in control.
    FAULT From Controls to LinuxCNC: Signals E-Stop or any other failure back to LinuxCNC as E-STOP to inform the control PC of a failure.
    <HOME/LIMIT> From Controls to LinuxCNC: Signal contact with the home switches on all axis wired as a series of N/C switches.

After the basics are working then I can breakout the second header on the MESA card to add some additional indicator lights, coolant outputs, and an encoder wheel for a more robust panel.

MESA 7i92M P2 Connector (DB25)

Code:
     1      0   IOPort       <ENABLE>                                         <Out>
     2      2   IOPort       StepGen                 0        Step/Table1     (Out)
     3      4   IOPort       StepGen                 0        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     4      6   IOPort       StepGen                 1        Step/Table1     (Out)
     5      8   IOPort       StepGen                 1        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     6      9   IOPort       StepGen                 2        Step/Table1     (Out)
     7     10   IOPort       StepGen                 2        Dir/Table2      (Out)
     8     11   IOPort       StepGen                 3        Step/Table1     (Out)
     9     12   IOPort       StepGen                 3        Dir/Table2      (Out)
    10     13   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-A          (In)
    11     14   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-B          (In)
    12     15   IOPort       QCount                  0        Quad-IDX        (In)
    13     16   IOPort       <HOME/LIMIT>         				  <In>
    14      1   IOPort       PWM                     0        PWM             (Out)
    15      3   IOPort       <FAULT>       					  <In>
    16      5   IOPort       StepGen (CPUMP)         4        Step/Table1     (Out)
    17      7   IOPort       <CW/CCW>             			          <Out>

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spent some time today working on the new controls for the mill. I have always wanted to set this up properly rather than the jury-rigged system I've been running. Working on the main control cabinet. It will house the signaling power supplies, the NUC PC, and the MESA card. That's about all I can cram into the fiberglass cabinet I have and keep it tidy. I've been collecting a bit of DIN rail based gear. Terminals, power supplies, and some custom clips for various boards, and cable management channel. I just got the rocker power switches and I should have some 15A breakers coming.

Next month I should have the PC and some panel mount USB and HDMI. Also need some 12 or 120V muffin fans. The PC and power supplies are going to generate some heat. I will also get some indicator lights for "MAIN PWR", "5V", "12V", "ENABLE". Each of the DIN DC supplies includes a "PWR OK" relay. I'll route E-STOP through those. Any failure of the 5 or 12V supplies should then place the system in E-STOP.

The mill stand will have the 50V DC supply, the MX4660, and the KBIC. The main control cabinet will turn power on and off for the mill stand systems. I'll use RJ45 for digital signals between the stand and the cabinet. I will have to route a DB25 cable between them though.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1280-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1280-jpg  
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Curious...don't see any fuses.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, this was just a test run, final design will have breaker between power switch and 120v terminal blocks. I'm waiting for the push button breakers I ordered to arrive. Both the main control cabinet and mill stand controls will have 15A breakers installed. I may actually switch to a 5A breaker for the main cabinet though since I can't work the 50v stepper supply and MX4660 into there as I had planned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Added a bit more to the controls:

- 10A Breaker between VAC in and power switch.
    - Neon A/C power indicator light.
    - 10mm LED indicator for Machine Enable.
    - 120mm 115VAC Fan.

- Picked up an E-Stop mushroom switch.

I got a few more DIN terminal blocks, colored for clarity, for the AC terminals. I need a few more green for the grounds and some more red, yellow, and black terminals for the 2nd tier sub panel.

The fan is a little funny. It certainly moves the air, but it's pretty loud. I can feel the air movement across the table from the fan !

I was able to get enough of the LinuxCNC/MESA system up to confirm basic operation. There is no graphical method to generate the HAL and INI files for a MESA 7i92M however the 5i25 is a very similar device just accessed via PCI instead of ethernet. I was able to come up with a pretty bare bones 5i25 based configuration and simply modify a few lines for the 7i92. I connected the MESA card with a straight through ethernet cable and used the default IP of 192.168.1.121/24 for communication. First I used the mesaflash utility to push the firmware for the MX4660 to the card. Then I fired up the LinuxCNC config for this system and it came right up. A quick check of the X step pin with a multimeter HZ counter showed the correct pin was being pulsed as the X axis was jogged. Should be fairly simple to build up the rest of the system I/O from this point.

Next month I will have the NUC PC for the controls and can make a pretty good run at getting the main controls up and running.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1298-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1298-jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234