Build Thread New (to me) WM30 mill. - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New (to me) WM30 mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New (to me) WM30 mill.

LOL. I *KNEW* I had seen that design somewhere on here but couldn't locate it so I made mine from recall. I really liked the 4x4 posts vertically arranged. Thanks for posting the inspiration!

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I finally got home with some spare time after 2 months of traveling and worked up the nerve to start cutting on mill saddle. I added oil groves to the top and bottom of the saddle as well as entrance holes feeding the groove. Now I have to noodle how I'm going to setup to cross-drill the connection holes. For now I will be using 3/16 press-fit ball oilers so I can oil the grooves with an oil can later on I will add real plumbing to it for a one-shot system. I still find myself a little lost in the choices for valves, fittings, and tubing but I need to get the grooved and cross-drilling done so I can move on with other work. I need to sell my PM-25 pretty soon and I'd like to have this one up and running shortly after.

I used a 0.156" carbide ball-nose to make the oil grooves at 0.045" depth of cut. It cut beautifully at 14IPM and 4000RPM. I've been using BobCAM(v27) to generate the tool path and G-Code. So far it's been decent. There are still a lot of bugs but it allows me to use the solid model to work from rather than converting to DXF and manually inputing the widths and depths. I've been kind of craving that along with easy simulation of the results. It also has a S&F calculator that seems to have reasonable defaults and agrees pretty well with GWizard for most common cutting conditions. GWizard still has better refined numbers but at least the BobCAM defaults are sensible. Other programs can make a forgotten S&F setting in an operation a complete disaster.

I can't call it great software. It crashes FAR too often and silently fails to produce toolpaths at times. It was decent though for the price I ended up paying for it.

I have to pay off some medical bills for, me, my wife, and my kid. It's been a banner month for the 'ol photoman household for injuries.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1132-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1133-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1134-jpg  
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tested out the oil-port idea on the first X axis oil groove. Started the oil port cross drilled holes on the mill and then switched to the drill press to finish up using the pilot holes formed on the mill. That worked nicely since the reamer was too long to use easily on the mill's Z. With the saddle mounted on its end I had to use screw machine length in ER-25 holders to have enough Z space to operate in. The holes were finished reamed to 3/16" for the oil ports to press into. Pressed the ports in with just some adjustable C clamps.

My first oiler made me think this would be a failure. It just would not get anything through the oil port. Barely worked with the grooves wide open, if I put something over the grooves it was impossible to deliver oil. I then tried the one I had from the auto parts store and it nearly squirted oil into my face through the top of the saddle after I filed a small grove in the tip of that oil gun. Perfect. With the grooves covered it still delivered plenty of oil so that seems to be a success for now so I will continue to head down this direction with the remaining oil ports.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1137-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally finished adding oil ports to the saddle. Added the ports for the Y axis slide. This was a little tougher to finish since there were no finished surfaces to work from and it's too long on end to work with on my machine's Z. The ends of the X dovetails were rough casting as well so no clean way to stand it up on end. I setup on the mill to machine in a flat around the oil-port area on each of the Y dovetails. Bit of a brain-fart in the morning when I set it up. I don't know why i didn't think to flip it over and machine a smaller flat from the bottom rather than coming down from the top. Would have needed less material removed. But it's done now.

I also machined the ends of the X axis dovetails flat and perp. to the ground surface on the front of the saddle. This made is FAR easier to setup on the drill press to drill and ream the 3/16" holes to press the oil ball valves into. Had to mark it out by hand since I couldn't pilot drill the hole on the mill like last time.

This job has made me happy I purchased the angle plate and 2-4-6 blocks. They've been a big help in setting up for this job.

Next stop. Z Saddle!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1140-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1142-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1143-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, now that the medical bills from the summer are starting to taper off I'm looking at getting my stand finished up. I've been working up a 3D model of it to design the chip pan. I'm going to try to get it done with fiberglass using plywood as a mold to lay the fabric. I'm guessing I'll use shower drains in the pan floor for eventual flood coolant. I'm going to stick with heavy clear shower curtain though on the sides. I really appreciate the fact that I can get around my current machine to work on this or that without needing to disassemble a big cabinet around it to do it. It will not look as spiff as some designs but the curtain has been very functional for me.

The side cabinets will be for control electronics and PC. Perhaps also spindle power for a VFD later on down the road. I'll just need something to mount up a display and keyboard. Hope to start getting the fiberglass going in December.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2015-12-02-12-36-a

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2015-12-02-12-36-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work so far.

Regarding the oiling. I thought up this simple solution a year or more ago using the zerks and tubing. Cheap and easy and tested to reasonably high pressures (about 140psi air). I never had it fail. But I also havent tested it at higher pressures and dont need to. It is an oiler. I figure the zerks already have the check valve so the oil wont drain back between oilings etc. Anyway in case you hadnt seen this, it is a cheap and very viable solution. And since zerks fittings come in so many angle configurations, you are bound to find them for your app.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool. Where did you get the zerks from? So far the only ones I have come across were the flat variety I added to my machine. This has been the most difficult part of the design really. The shear number of various types and designs of these fittings makes me feel like a deer in oncoming traffic. Thanks for the tip though.... I like how unobtrusive that would be vs some of the other versions I have seen.

Edit: Never mind. I ran across them as 'grease fittings'. I guess that was what my fittings really were too despite find them when searching for oil fitting.

Last edited by photomankc; 12-07-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

They are available at all auto parts or hardware stores. Most auto parts stores have bins of Dorman or similar parts, not the package stuff on the shelves if you are desiring something specific. You can get them in different diameters too. You could probably run even smaller tubing if needed.
    It was just 1 of those comic like lightbulb moments that inspired it. I havent used it yet be see no reason it wouldnt work and again, its cheap. You could also just use a tap in a piece of tubing to get a real low profile fitting.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lord it's been a while since I started this thread. So other things have come up in the mean time and sidelined this project but I'm back working on it now. I determined the motor RPM at 3950 so that lets me set the ratios for the drive pulleys. I have a design setup for the belt drive mounting. I'll be pulling the motor controls off the head. I'll tear the spindle down as well. Figure I'll turn the gears off the upper spindle while I have it torn down.

Target is 5500 RPM for high range. 2200 for the low range.

I was able to grind up a 40 degree form tool for the poly-v grooves. The point is not radiused properly but it really doesn't matter from what I can see of diagrams for J profile belts. Once the belts from McMaster arrive I'll test fit the grooves and if all is well I'll complete the pulleys.

I'll get some photos up tonight or tomorrow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The overall design of the belt drive:

New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-32-a

New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-36-a

New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-37-a

I'm planning to attach to the top of the upper spindle housing for the spindle pulley. There is a pretty decent chunk of material to grab onto on this mill. I'll set 6 grub screws around the perimeter and dimple the spindle housing in all six positions by about 0.065". I'm hoping that will allow the pulley to be secured such that lateral force will not tend to wobble it off. Option B would be some way to grab the spindle splines and do away with the attachment to the upper spindle housing if plan A proves not to work.

Machining the pulley blank:

1.) 3.5" Solid Stock squared up on the lathe. This was a bit too much for the metal chop saw I bought this summer from Northern Tool too replace my abrasive saw that finally died. I had to make about 40% of the cut, rotate 90 degrees and make the remainder of the cut. That left some rather poor ends that needed a lot of facing to clean up.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1084-jpg

2.) Machine the final diameter of the collar that will house the grub screws that grip the motor shaft. 1200 RPM and 0.050" DOC, 0.050" per rev with a CCMT insert had streams of chips flying off the stock. Still took a good number of passes to reduce that diameter to 1".

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1085-jpg

3.) Machine the rough dimensions of the pulley steps. 3.4" and 2.13"
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1087-jpg

4.) Grind up a tool bit for the 40* angle of the micro-v ribs on a poly-v belt. I'll be using a 4 rib belt "J section". Belt is about 3/8" wide and 18.625" in circumference. I lucked out on my design because the middle position of the adjustment in the motor plate creates an ~18.8" circumference. That was the smallest belt in that profile McMaster offered. Tested the tool out and it seems to do a decent job on the grooves. My grinding skills suck and cobalt tools take FOREVER to grind when start creating a significant length of cut. I am wishing I had made the belt channel a bit wider. Clearance may be a problem on the right-hand side of the pulley channel as it stands.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1092-jpg

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1094-jpg

I'll wait for the belt to arrive to test the fit in the grooves before I finalize the motor pulley.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1084-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1085-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1087-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1092-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1094-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-32-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-36-a   New (to me) WM30 mill.-screen-shot-2017-05-30-9-37-a  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finalizing the Z profile of the pulley:

Plunge roughed the pulley diameter between the flanges at 750 RPM using GTN cutoff insert:
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-101-jpg

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1111-jpg

Checking the belt width in the channel:
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1113-jpg

Finished pulley diameters and ready to cut grooves - 1200 rpm with TCGT carbide:
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1116-jpg

Cut the grooves into the pully. 0.092" spacing, 0.080 depth. 300 RPM with ground 40 degree HSS tool bit, it starts to chatter a bit at ANY pause on in-feed. This was straight plunge, not compound angle cutting on the flank. so asking a lot with no back rake and large diameters:
    New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1125-jpg

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1128-jpg

I've torn down the head and removed the electronics. I'm pulling out all the manual motor controls in preparation to have CNC control the spindle. Ready to bore the shaft to mate with the motor. Runout currently measures at 0.0005". That may have to wait to next week.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-101-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1111-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1113-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1116-jpg  

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1125-jpg   New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1128-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Completed the boring for the motor shaft on the motor pulley (lower left in photo). Made it a close, but still slip-fit onto the shaft. It doesn't wiggle, but you don't have to really cram it on either. From here I need to add the holes for the grub screws, the lightning pockets, and then turn or mill down the extra hub material used to hold it for machining.

On the lathe I moved on to turning the spindle pulley base. Rough outside and bore dimensions are reached. I'm aiming for a bit tighter fit on this but not press either.

New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1170-1-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) WM30 mill.-img_1170-1-jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast