G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.

Thread: G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.

Running in powerfeed my apron handwheel found the block of wood I set down just before realizing I shouldn't do that. Hit e-stop but before I could grab the halfnut lever "thunk". The pinion rounded off a tooth on the rack and deformed a tooth on the pinion. I've ordered a new pinion gear shaft and rack. However the "roll pin" that holds the larger gear to the pinion shaft is flipping not budging. I've tried fixturing the thing up and I can not get it to budge at all. Has anyone had to do this? Is there some secret to it? Naturally everything else comes off without a hitch except for this one damn pin.

I suppose if i comes to it I can drill it out and then set it up when the replacement comes to tap for a set screw instead of a roll pin.

Grizzly.com® --

Parts 105/106 are what seem to be stuck. 104 is what got mangled.

Similar Threads:
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.

You have tried going the other way and gentle heat?

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Re: G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.

Photomankc,

If the part is out of the apron this method is worth a try.

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.-arbor-press-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Photomankc,

Or you can buy or make something like this.

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G0602 Broken Apron Hand Wheel Pinion Gear / Stuck on Dis-assembly.-roll-pin-punch-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure it's a straight pin, and not a tapered pin? Try driving it out the other direction.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

photomankc

Because you damaged the gear like you did, the gear would of moved on the shaft, (twisted a little) & it would of bent the roll pin,(or sheared the pin a little) so driving it out will be very difficult to do, if the gear is soft, you can cut down almost to the shaft from both sides, then with a tapered wedge or Chisel, drive it into the cut to break the gear apart

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After sleeping on it and looking at the device pictured above I rigged up a solution. I used my clamping kits to bolt the whole thing to the drill press table as well as set a clamp on the gear teeth to keep the shaft from rotating on me. Then I setup a forth clamp with a #6 socket head screw under it resting on the roll pin. That allowed me to drive the pin by torquing down the clamp. I would drive it a bit, then readjust the step clamp and drive it some more. Took a lot of torque to break loose at first but then it was easy enough to just hammer out the rest of the way.

I've got it all stripped down now and ready to repair when the replacement parts arrive. A moment of inattention can be costly.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Frustration can really get your mind stuck in a rut "hit it harder".

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got it all repaired. Didn't end up needing the new rack I don't think. The chipped tooth on it causes no discernible issue when feeding with the handwheel. The new pinion came without the roll pin hole cross-drilled in the shaft so I had to dye it up and use the old shaft to work out the location on the new shaft and setup to drill that. It was a nice opportunity to clean up the works in the half-nuts, gears, and bearing surfaces. Lots of grime and grit trapped in that grease. She's back together and running again. Maybe I can go a few more years before I do something stupid again.