Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE

It will do fine, my zx45 breezed thru like butter the little use I got out of it.
    It's not a bridgeport but it can handle anything you've done so far with the same ease.
    I'm sure you will be talking about cncing it sooner or later.
    Hoss

Last edited by hoss2006; 02-08-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE

What Hoss said, and does! Sure the 0704 is capable.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hoss and Fastest,

That is good to hear. I am a bit worried about letting the old jhead leave my shop but I am seriously packed tight in there as it is. I few extra feet of elbow room would be great. I broke my nice 5/8'' carbide 2 flute endmill tonight (feeds and speeds error) Not sure how much that thing cost as it was a gift But I already miss it.

Heres another update.

I am almost done with the Z ballnut mount and am currently editing the y axis ballnut mount video. I did my first bit of power tapping for the 10-32 holes and it actually worked! Thanks for the help guys.

Hoss,

I am finally seeing how the plans come together, it was hard at first to grasp but now its making sense. Your plans are topnotch and the videos are great and very detailed. The measurements on the drawings are right on the money!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update:

Y Axis Bearing Block

Downloads
    Uploads

The G0704 is a great machine but as Hoss mentions before. It is NOT a Bridgeport. You will be disappointed if you are replacing one for the other.

If you can work with a smaller envelope, are patient with lower feeds and speeds due to a difference in rigidity, want a good utilitarian inexpensive mill or desire to do a CNC conversion. The 0704 is great. I am not recommending anyone get rid of a Bridgeport.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    The G0704 is a great machine but as Hoss mentions before. It is NOT a Bridgeport. You will be disappointed if you are replacing one for the other.

If you can work with a smaller envelope, are patient with lower feeds and speeds due to a difference in rigidity, want a good utilitarian inexpensive mill or desire to do a CNC conversion. The 0704 is great. I am not recommending anyone get rid of a Bridgeport.
    I/he was talking about a zx45, he's been making parts for his g0704 he already has. The g0704 IS great but it's no zx45.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deuce217 View Post
    UPDATE: I purchased this so far.

Thank you for purchasing with Automation Technology Inc, any items to be shipped will be processed as soon as possible, any items that can be downloaded can be downloaded using the links on this page.All prices include tax and postage and packaging where applicable.
    You ordered these items:

- 1 3-Axis DSP Based Digital Stepper Driver Max 60 VDC / 6.0A, MX3660 $264.95

- 2 NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4B) $91.90

- 1 NEMA34 Stepper Motor – 906 oz in 6.1A Single Shaft (KL34H295-43-8A) $89.00

- 1 Unregulated Linear 625W/48VDC/13A Toroidal PSU (KL-4813) $139.00

- 1 Cable Drag Chain Wire Carrier (C: Cable drag chain wire carrier 10*20mm R28 1000mm (40") $11.40) $11.40

- 1 E-stop Switch $9.95

- 20 4 conductor 18GA Shielded Motor wires $19.00

- 8 Motor cable connector $31.92

- 1 6 feet Mach3 Parallel Cable DB25M to DB25M $8.95

- 1 110 VAC Box Fan $11.95

Getting closer!
    You may want to go for a bigger case for your control box. I currently have a Dell case that looks to be a close match to what you want to use. My psu just crapped out on me and I am now thinking of going to a bigger case to fit more stuff down the road. Best is, I haven't even made a chip with it yet!

Currently:
    ~MX3660
    ~48v 7.3a psu (dead, looks like a thermistor blew. not sure WTF happened?)
    ~kbmm 125 with heat sink
    ~ESS
    ~5v psu

Want to add:
    ~relays for coolant and what every else
    ~Cooling fans
    ~PSU for fans?

thinking of going to this:
    Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE-dell-u00252b390-u00252b027-jpg

Both were "pulled" from graveyard at work. I will have to take a side by side pic to really show the difference between them.

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    You may want to go for a bigger case for your control box. I currently have a Dell case that looks to be a close match to what you want to use. My psu just crapped out on me and I am now thinking of going to a bigger case to fit more stuff down the road. Best is, I haven't even made a chip with it yet!

Currently:
    ~MX3660
    ~48v 7.3a psu (dead, looks like a thermistor blew. not sure WTF happened?)
    ~kbmm 125 with heat sink
    ~ESS
    ~5v psu

Want to add:
    ~relays for coolant and what every else
    ~Cooling fans
    ~PSU for fans?

thinking of going to this:
    Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE-dell-u00252b390-u00252b027-jpg

Both were "pulled" from graveyard at work. I will have to take a side by side pic to really show the difference between them.

Andrew
    That looks great in there. Maybe you retained my heat on the PSU because the stepper controller was on the top of it? Retaining more heat possibly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE: Z AXIS BALLNUT MOUNT

Hoss,

I was thinking of using that rear stepper motor mount that is .500'' thick, will that work well with the current building I am doing? For some reason I am having a brain fart on that one vs the other belt drive options. Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the two cases side by side

I have not gutted the bigger case yet. I'm thinking of using the two fans that are in there (two black plastic bits near the bottom)

When the old PSU blew it was barely warm to the touch. If that's all it take to over heat this kind of supply, I'd think everyone would be blowing them?

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. Ps, That one heck of a surface plate you have holding that CPU up. Wow. I am guessing that is at your business and not at a home shop?

Guys,

Do you think a 6'' vise is over kill on the ZX45? I need to buy another one because I am selling my mill with mine on it and was debating going with a 6'' but fear it may be too big. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by deuce217; 02-10-2015 at 03:19 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wish I had the space for a plate like that @ home! That's @ work, where I'm doing the conversion of my machine.

There are plenty of machines for me to use given I am one of 4 people on 3rd shift. The other 90% of the employees are here on 1st and it gets kind of crowded. And of course everyone needs the same machines as everyone else at the same time. Almost always turn into a pissing match about who is working on the hottest job!

My shop will only be about 1/4 of the basement in my 1100 square foot house

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE: Z AXIS STEPPER MOTOR MOUNT- PICURES, VIDEO, SLOW MOTION VIDEO, SLOW PROCESS. Thanks for watching and helping me out guys.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    I wish I had the space for a plate like that @ home! That's @ work, where I'm doing the conversion of my machine.

There are plenty of machines for me to use given I am one of 4 people on 3rd shift. The other 90% of the employees are here on 1st and it gets kind of crowded. And of course everyone needs the same machines as everyone else at the same time. Almost always turn into a pissing match about who is working on the hottest job!

My shop will only be about 1/4 of the basement in my 1100 square foot house

Andrew
    Andrew,

Sounds like we have similar size homes. I am fortunate to have claimed my garage way before the ''boss" set sanctions. I have the 1 car garage to myself.

Tip of the day:

Leave the shop so packed that the women cant walk through it and they will leave you out there to fend for yourself with your machines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew,

Sounds like we have similar size homes. I am fortunate to have claimed my garage way before the ''boss" set sanctions. I have the 1 car garage to myself.

Tip of the day:

Leave the shop so packed that the women cant walk through it and they will leave you out there to fend for yourself with your machines.
    Yeah, I have that option as well, but I live in Wisconsin. So it's either freeze your balls off cold or sweat your balls off hot, with a week or two of nice weather in between. Plus my garage is detached.

Someday I'll have a house with that has and exposed basement, nice tall ceiling and garage door to bring in some full sized toys!

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HaNot Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE-imageuploadedbytapatalk1423610944-792812-jpg. Well by bye Bridgeport time to invest in a zx45.

I am also from Wisconsin, grew up on Lake Superior. I know what cold is also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Not Just Another G0704 Build (not in a good way) YOUTUBE VIDEOS INSIDE

UPDATE: Z AXIS STEPPER MOTOR MOUNT- PICURES, VIDEO, SLOW MOTION VIDEO, SLOW PROCESS. Thanks for watching and helping me out guys.
    Just wondering how you are going to bolt the motor on after that top plate is bolted to the top of the Z? You will have to make standoffs for between the plate you made and the motor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cybot View Post
    Just wondering how you are going to bolt the motor on after that top plate is bolted to the top of the Z? You will have to make standoffs for between the plate you made and the motor.
    Yes Cybot , I will make 4 standoffs that are double female per Hoss' plans. I should have them in an update this weekend. I will be making them on my lathe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE:

Purchased this mill High-Capacity Square Column Manual Bed Mill | Charter Oak Automation should ship next week! They offer military discount too. 10% helps. Freight is 400.00 form CT to WA though! I also picked up another 3 axis dro from JJ on ebay 3 Axis Digital Readout Kit for 9x42" Bridgeport Mill ISO9001 Quality | eBay He hooked me up pretty good this time. This is the 3rd one I have bought from him in the last year. Very easy to use these things. I was intimidated by the extra features they have, but they are a life saver. The charter oaks folks have one they will install for 700.00 which is a eeason, I prefer the look of the Sinpo more though and the installation is not that hard or time consuming (you will have to make some of your own brackets to make it tidy). So for now its back to the lathe, stand off time.

Last edited by deuce217; 02-12-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Side tracked on this project for work. All advise welcome. First time making a punch and die set.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast