New PM-25MV build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PM-25MV build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New PM-25MV build

I guess I'll start a build thread, or more like a "can you help me out thread" I just received my PM-25MV last Friday, and was also fortunate enough to get a nice raise and landed a couple big side jobs so i ordered a PM-1020G lathe and had them delivered together.

The PM has changed in design recently, which would have been nice to know since I had already made half of the mounts that I will basically scrap. However, the design changes are for the better. The column to base attachment seems like it will be much more rigid. Also the base, table, saddle and column have all been beefed up. Also the way the mounts attach to them have changed as well. Hence scraping my parts but it's no biggie, just a little more time.

I wasted no time tearing it down. First broke in the spindle then some test cuts in aluminum and SS just to see how it would handle it, much better than my LMS SX2.

One thing I still haven't gotten an answer on is how I'm supposed to tighten the draw bar when there is no way to hold the spindle other than with your hand , which isn't very safe or would i be able to fully tighten the drawbar. Hopefully the QMT guys get back to me soon about this or maybe some of you may have the answer for me.

For the build i'm designing and making all the mounts myself, the controller i had CNC Router Parts build for me because i know nothing about electronics and I'd rather not have to deal with that end of it. I'm using Nema 43 906 oz steppers on all 3 axis solely because the controller was being built by someone else and an extra $100 at this point doesnt really matter. And if i ever decided to upgrade down the road, then i'd be able to re-use all the electronics.

Here's some pics so far. Hopefully i'll get a lot more finished this week....

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New PM-25MV build-mill-lathe-jpg   New PM-25MV build-column-base-jpg   New PM-25MV build-column-mount-jpg   New PM-25MV build-saddle-top-jpg  

New PM-25MV build-belt-drive-jpg   New PM-25MV build-motor-end-plate-jpg   New PM-25MV build-free-end-plate-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New PM-25MV build

Looks like Precision Matthews is now getting them from Titan. The new Titan TM25's have that same column mount setup and are supplied with the belt drive standard. Did you add that belt drive or was it on from the factory?

I know PM and Weiss weren't seeing eye to eye from what I understand, which probably explains the switch in suppliers.

www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes it came with the belt drive an brushless motor standard equipment and you're right about Weiss. When I ordered the machine Matt told me that they switched suppliers because of too many problems with Weiss. So far I'm pretty happy with the quality of the machine. the lathe happens to be a Weiss and the quality is really nice too

Downloads
    Uploads

You do mean Nema 34 I believe. 906's will be overkill but they will work fine.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    You do mean Nema 34 I believe. 906's will be overkill but they will work fine.
    yes I meant 34, I must be dyslexic. everyone uses the 906's on the Z so I figured a hundred bucks more investment wasn't such a big deal considering if I decided to upgrade down the road then I'd be all set

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

anyone got an idea for the best way to go about being able to tighten the drawbar since there's no hole for a pin or flats for a wrench? easiest thing to do I would think is drill a hole, however the hole will eventually get beat up and rolled over. adding flats would mean I have to pull the spindle out and I don't really want to pull the bearings out to do this, would I even have to pull the bearings out?

any other PM-25 owners have this problem? So far the QMT guys have not given me an answer as to why there's nothing there or what I should do...

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I did Hoss' MAD system years ago. I havent tightened a drawbar since. Using the TTS toolholders really speeds up the tool changes and makes tool lengths repeatable.

I do think using your hand and an impact (a cordless drill type?) on the drawbar will provide all the grip you need. Manually would most likely work too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The plan is to eventually build a power draw bar per hoss design but in the meantime I think I'm going to have to resort to drilling a couple holes In the side of the spindle to use a locking pin, the second hole would be 180 degrees apart to help in balance , if that's really even an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was referring to Hoss' manual drawbar release. A simple piece to make and use. Eventually I will get around to the cylinder too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully this isn't reviving a dead thread, but you should be able to fit two wrenches on the drawbar. I believe I see it in the photo your posted. There should be two flats on the spindle shaft near the square head of the drawbar. It will be pretty obvious once you see it Are you able to just give the wrench a few good taps with your wrist while holding the spindle?

Is there any more information about the Weiss issue? I have a PM30MV-L that is a Weiss machine. It's been fine so far - just a few cosmetic concerns since it's a "hobby" machine.

How is the new brushless motor?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by compsurge View Post
    Hopefully this isn't reviving a dead thread, but you should be able to fit two wrenches on the drawbar. I believe I see it in the photo your posted. There should be two flats on the spindle shaft near the square head of the drawbar. It will be pretty obvious once you see it Are you able to just give the wrench a few good taps with your wrist while holding the spindle?

Is there any more information about the Weiss issue? I have a PM30MV-L that is a Weiss machine. It's been fine so far - just a few cosmetic concerns since it's a "hobby" machine.

How is the new brushless motor?
    The drawbar has flats but the spindle has no way to hold it other than by hand, and that isn't so safe. So for now,m until i get my power drawbar built i will use a strap wrech to hold the spindle while i tighten the drawbar

I don't really know what the issues were exactly but it sounded more like a customer service issue with Weiss and not a quality issue. The lathe i bought from QMT is a Weiss and it's very nice quality

As far as the motor goes, i just got it converted to CNC and havent had much time on it as there seems to be an issue with the motor not turning on consistenly so Matt sent me a new speed control board which i should see in the next day or two and hopefully that will be it and i'll get a chance to start cutting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the feedback on the lathe and Weiss. I've been contemplating one of their lathes in the next few years, but I'm not quite sure the direction I'll end up in.

Here's a image of what I was trying to describe. On my mill there are two flats on the part below the drawbar head. The photo you posted looks like there are flats, but I could be mistaken. Definitely correct me if that is an incorrect way. I typically only will use this method for my face mill - the rest are just a light tap on the wrench while I hold the ER collet/spindle itself as the R8 taper will do a very good job in securing the toolholder.

New PM-25MV build-picture1-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the feedback on the lathe and Weiss. I've been contemplating one of their lathes in the next few years, but I'm not quite sure the direction I'll end up in.

Here's a image of what I was trying to describe. On my mill there are two flats on the part below the drawbar head. The photo you posted looks like there are flats, but I could be mistaken. Definitely correct me if that is an incorrect way. I typically only will use this method for my face mill - the rest are just a light tap on the wrench while I hold the ER collet/spindle itself as the R8 taper will do a very good job in securing the toolholder.

I haven't really used the mill for more than a few minutes since i went straight into the conversion. But i suppose if i loctite the lower part that threads onto the spindle and torqued it down pretty good then i could use that method. But since they are both right handed threads, then when i'm tightening the drawbar and holding the lower piece with a wrench then i could end up loosening the lower piece? now that i'm close to getting the mill running i'll be able to test it out

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's how the mill is sitting so far. In the process of making a new Z axis nut
    mount and will hopefully get it up and running tonight...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New PM-25MV build-mill_1-jpg   New PM-25MV build-mill_2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now that the mill is up and running I've found out that the method you show doesn't work as when I tighten the drawbar the lower piece loosens up. And holding the spindle by hand to tighten just isn't enough to hold the TTS holders in. I see In the G0704 manual that they have a locking hole in the spindle like my LMS SX2 does. I'm a little hesitate to drill a hole in the side right now though

Any ideas out there?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looks like I found the culprit. the face of the spindle is too long to allow the TTS holders to tighten fully when bottomed out. I'll have to shave about .060-.070 of the face and should be fine as regular R8 holders haven't shown any pullout that I could see

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to double check that spindle issue before shortening. I would think a longer spindle would actually bottom the collet out sooner and allow more tightening.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    You need to double check that spindle issue before shortening. I would think a longer spindle would actually bottom the collet out sooner and allow more tightening.
    makes sense. any ideas what I should look for? incorrect taper on the ID of the spindle?

Maybe I just need to make a drawbar wrench like Hoss has on his projects page. I doubt that I'm getting the recommended 25-35 foot pounds to tighten the drawbar just by holding the spindle by hand. Maybe some guys can but my hands are loaded with arthritis and I cant get a very good grip on the spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't want to drill a hole for a spanner wrench you could get a strap wrench.
    For ex. Klein Tools Grip-it Strap 6 in. Wrenches-S-6H at The Home Depot
    I looked at oil filter wrenches back then too but couldn't find one like this small enough.
    New PM-25MV build-image_21858-jpg
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    If you don't want to drill a hole for a spanner wrench you could get a strap wrench.
    For ex. Klein Tools Grip-it Strap 6 in. Wrenches-S-6H at The Home Depot
    I looked at oil filter wrenches back then too but couldn't find one like this small enough.
    New PM-25MV build-image_21858-jpg
    Hoss
    I've tried the strap wrench but the one I bought is crap and doesn't grip. I think i'll try and find a better strap wrench or just drill a hole for the time being or maybe two 180° apart to help balance it, however I'm not so sure that Is necessary. Going to build a power drawbar soon so just looking for a temporary solution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast