Need Help! Need help getting a Dyna Myte 2400 that has been converted to Mach 3 going...

Thread: Need help getting a Dyna Myte 2400 that has been converted to Mach 3 going...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help getting a Dyna Myte 2400 that has been converted to Mach 3 going...

I got a really good deal on a DM 2400 from the son of a machinest who passed away a few years ago. The son tried to hook it backup awhile ago and get it going again but didn't know what he was doing and it just sat.

So now here I am trying to rebuild and fix issues his son I think caused when messing with it.

Ok I tried to connect up the Dyna Myte 2400 mill I got which has been converted to use Mach 3.

Let’s just say it didn’t go as planned. I got everything plugged in that was disconnected when I bought it. Powered it on and all the servo motors run at full RPM and don’t stop. Somehow I don’t think that is correct.
    I did some more digging into the setup, it’s a mess and I am lost.
    Specs of conversion:

1 Cnc4PC C11G Rev 5.2
    4 Gecko 320 Servo Motor controllers

Obvious problems:
    Stop switches are not wired to anything. I have no idea where I should connect these.
    Gecko G320 servo controllers light up with fault when power is turned on.

Possible problems after digging in depth:

Mislabeled Servo Controllers

2 Servo controllers have outputs going to a different axis then their power poles. Ex the data cables go to Axis Y but the data lines go to Axis X.

1 Servo controller is missing its ARM power poles completely and is not even connected to the cnc4pc board.

Unknowns:

Only 4 connections are made to each of the servo encoders.
    5v+
    GND
    A
    B
    Connections that had wires attached but not connected to any thing on the server encoders
    Ā

Things I am going to change:

The power supplies have to be unwired to access the back panel with all the electronics. What I may end up doing is building a separate box with power plugs that can be disconnected easily.

I am going to try to fix the obvious stuff tomorrow. Going to download the manual to the cnc4pc controller.

Any ideas on what I can do to get this thing going?

Anyone ever seen these servo motors or encoders before?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help getting a Dyna Myte 2400 that has been converted to Mach 3 going...

The machine originally had a stepper drive. Unfortunately someone removed it but what is done is done. He did leave you the hubs for the drive which I guess has been modified to a coupler. On my lathe conversion (Dyna DM3000) I installed a toothed pulley on that hub and created a belt drive.

The wire from the limit switch would go to an input + that isnt assigned presently (this would have to be set up in Mach3 correctly). The switch uses the machine frame as ground so another wire would have to run from the C11 - terminal of the input pin used and run to the machines frame. This switch will only complete the circuit upon touching its limit. The switches are dependable and accurate however this is the opposite configuration of the safest circuits. Being is it a hobbyist machine, I wouldnt worry too much.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help getting a Dyna Myte 2400 that has been converted to Mach 3 going...

Ok I corrected what I could find. Basicly got all the connections to the servo controllers they were supposed to goto.

1 Motor connected to X and Z controllers spins and then stops, spins and then stops, ect. Guess that is an improvement over them running wide open. Both servo controllers have fault lights lit entire time. Disconnect the power from the motor and spining it by hand causes the fault light to come on the servo controller until I stop.

The 4th axis controller seems to be going full retard. The motor still spins at wide open. Disconnect the power from the motor and spining it by hand causes the fault light to come on the servo controller until I stop.

The Y axis controller seems to be messed up also. The motor still spins at wide open, but when you disconnect the motors power and spin it by hand the fault light does not come on. This would explain why the wires running to the control board had been disconnected.

All test where done with the same servo motor and encoder.

At this point I think I am gonna yank it all apart and replace it with updated servo controllers, servo motors, and encoders.

Downloads
    Uploads

Save your money and time. Get some steppers and either an MX3660 or a G540 and be done with it. It is a wonderfully rigid machine for its size , though the envelope is small.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Save your money and time. Get some steppers and either an MX3660 or a G540 and be done with it. It is a wonderfully rigid machine for its size , though the envelope is small.
    Lol...already did. The cost to replace the two dead servo motor drivers, possible two dead encoders, and the time to fix all the issues would have cost close to a new system. So I bought a G540, 3 low impedance stepper motors and all the cabling. I can add the 4th axis once I get the basics going.