Newbie HAFCO HM48 geared head CNC conversion - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HAFCO HM48 geared head CNC conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAFCO HM48 geared head CNC conversion

Still learning as i go, i purchased Sheetcam, what an easy program to use. i found it hard to find test G-codes before having the program, sSo I'm going to share this one for others to try. Simply cut and paste the bellow g code into notepad save as txt file and there ya go G-CODE, that somewhat interesting, good for tuning ect.

(Edit) i posted the code but it was so long it took for ever to scroll, so change of plans pm me i'll just share it that way, unless i can figure out a way to link it instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

my Enclosure has shown up, local B&R Rep helped me out considerably, Ive made the brackets to bolt it to the machine, the box is 800mmx600mm, which allows enough room, to fit all the electrics for cnc, the power supply s, contactors, drivers, and room for a VFD for later down the track, Ive got it all blasted and painted it today ready to put together tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

I Have got a fair bit closer, i have fitted the cabinet and have 95% of it wired up, i need to figure out how to set the C11 breakout boards for N/C contacts. i took the Y axis ballscrew (Nut) mount to the local machine shop to get them to machine a mounting post on it, and they managed to screw it up! the have it about 1.7mm off center, i'm going to have to weld it it up and do it my self i think. Lets hope they dont mess up the ballscrews. Im happy with my eclosure sizing, everything fitts fairly well, i have left enough room for a VFD (this will be the next step to the project)

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

So after the local machine shop made a mess of the Y Axis mount, I decided to tig welded up the spigot to add more material and re machine it myself, I put it in my tiny little lathe with a 4 jaw, and surprisingly it came out awesome. I was gritting my teeth the whole time, as it would be the most offset thing 'ive put in my lathe (she did shake a little more than i liked), nut i'm happy with the results. Y Axis Mount is now finally finished, I've lowered the thread height 12mm ti allow more clearance for direct drive on the ballscrew, this will have better XY slide clearance. I Have one little concern that the ball screw mounting holes are only M4 thread ,and only 4 bolts. do others only have that size? it seems a tad on the small side to me.

Last edited by 80gus; 08-31-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

X Axis mount is half done, once again making a mess in the shed. I still managed to ruin another 4 flute end mill, I dare say its all coolant related. (maybe i should use some!!!) i've set it up so i can run 2 nuts, encapsulated on both ends, i don't really understand the concept of 2 ball nuts first! Ive changed my design considerably to reduce costs. i will need to potentially weld the support mounts on unless i come up with a better idea.
    I made up a temporary box for this job, may cleaner!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm watching with interest.

Where are you located? I could potentially help with ballnut mounts as I've got my machine up and running.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I'm watching with interest.

Where are you located? I could potentially help with ballnut mounts as I've got my machine up and running.
    Mackay QLD youself?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Newcastle

Downloads
    Uploads

X axis mount is 99% done, I managed to ruin evrey single end mill i had thinking I had feed rates wrong ect,ect, found that it was the material i was using its as hard as anything, the 2 wings i welded on, seemed to machine easy as. I was hoping to build it all from 1 piece but am happy with the 3 piece component, I tig welded it together, and its phisically as small as i could make a dual ballnut mount. At this stage i don't intend on running 2 nuts, but if i find i have backlash issues, i always have options. its all done except the 2 mounting holes and threads.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAFCO HM48 geared head CNC conversion-705f174f-f6d0-4a3c-a317-a32163961119_zpspw0y0lbr-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ballscrew bearing mounts started. Laser cut, that way i just need to machine bearing pockets up, slip in and tig weld up.

Downloads
    Uploads

I checked my current backlash, found Y axis was all loose in the bearings and nut mount, once ive done the conversion im hoping to have none, but anything is better than it is now.

Downloads
    Uploads

And the X Axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Bit slow on the updates as i was o/seas. managed to bring myself home a couple of new toys, after reading alot more build threads on the rf45 zx45 ect ect, i found people where using larger z axis stepper drives. i always wanted to get a 4th axis happening, so instead off buying a smaller drive for that, I have brought a new 2840oz drive for the Z axis and will now use the 1200oz for the 4th axis. Managed to find myself a supplier from Singapore (whilst on holidays), great knowledge price and product..

And whilst in Thailand i found an LED shop to make a halo led for the Quill.
    Need to fit it but you get the idea

Downloads
    Uploads

Y axis Mount half finished, I purchased some mounting brackets from "Warco cnc" via ebay pretty happy with them. I've then tig welded my mounting pads together, machined it down ready for the bearing pocket to press in and weld in place it should be really square when finished.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! That is a substantial looking mount. You won't have any trouble with that.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

2840? Really? Seems ridiculous to me. Otherwise a nice build.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 80gus View Post
    I have brought a new 2840oz drive for the Z axis and will now use the 1200oz for the 4th axis.
    I'd bet you will regret that choice. 2840 oz-in is massively over-sized for that machine. In fact, I can't think when I've ever seen any machine, even much larger ones, use a stepper that large. I've used smaller motors to move the 700# knee on 9x49 knee mills. Very large steppers are typically designed for moving large loads at low speeds. I'm pretty sure you'll find the torque curve falls off VERY rapidly with increasing RPM, and you'll have a head that moves with a lot of force (much more than you need), but slowly. With steppers, bigger is almost never better. There is a "right" size for each application, and going larger nearly always involves significant trade-offs in performance.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I'd bet you will regret that choice. 2840 oz-in is massively over-sized for that machine. In fact, I can't think when I've ever seen any machine, even much larger ones, use a stepper that large..
    Thanks for the feedback Ray, I seem to find most people went with Servos so its hard for me to know what will work the best, i definitely want direct drive, as I'm only really new to this CNC stuff I seem to monkey see-monkey do! Do you think the 1200o/z drives would do it without Gas struts as direct drive.
    this attached video has the same drives, I have not found his build thread yet tho
    and here i s a link to his rapid Z

Last edited by 80gus; 09-13-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

So i have been busy with the Y axis as its been giving me the most trouble as a manual machine.
    Mount is waiting on the bearing pocket and balls-screw to be fitted I spent a lot of time to keep it square and true.
    Y Axis mounting point cleaned drilled and tapped, cuts like butter this metal.

I machined up an 11mm offset boss as i lowered the shaft by 11mm for table clearance for the drive.

as you can see, this is how much lower i have the ballscrew position, If i did it again i would have only lowered it 8mm as there would still be .5mm clearance from the y-z table.

Next thing was to relieve the machine to fit the the new position of the bearing carrier, and to have the ability to fit the ballnut in as part of the screw,(this will make maintenance extremely easy). Hole saw worked great just slow and steady.

material removed.

Hopefully tomorrow Y axis is finished

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast