Need Help! Will trade servo motors for help

Thread: Will trade servo motors for help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will trade servo motors for help

Hi,
    I have a HF mill/drill that I want to turn into a CNC. I have Mach3, I also have SEVERAL Yaskawa SGD-02-BP servopacks, SEVERAL Yaskawa CIMR-XCBUA0P1 variable frequency drives, SEVERAL Yaskawa GPD205-E0P7 variable frequency drives, SEVERAL Yaskawa SGM 02B312 AC servo motors, a bunch of photoelectric switches, limiting switches and a whole bunch of stuff that I don't know what it is.. My problem is I don't know if I need anything else nor do I have ANY idea how to connect this stuff. What I'm asking is very simple, you come over, help me get this up and running and in return, I will reward you with a few of the above items for your time and patience. I live in Westchester, IL 60154. Right by Wolf Rd and Cermak (22nd). Shoot me an email and let's chat.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will trade servo motors for help

I'm in California, so I'm not going to come by, but you might find this information helpful: Using the Yaskawa Motors - Northwestern Mechatronics Wiki

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I took a look at that page and understood absolutely nothing this stuff is way beyond me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Too bad you are not closer, but MN to IL takes a little while.

Downloads
    Uploads

Its not exactly a bolt together project. Are you going to upgrade to ballscrews? Most CNC conversions need many brackets and mounts fabricated to fit the selected components. I think someone may have a kit available for the components to mount ballscrews and motors, not 100% sure. This usually is a several week project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurdCurd View Post
    Thanks, I took a look at that page and understood absolutely nothing this stuff is way beyond me
    I hear that kind of reply in my day job, but really if you just slow down and stop freaking out, it becomes obvious that you match a-in to a-out. if you aren't sure what to do at some point then take a pic with a camera and post it up, we will draw all over it to help you figure it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I doubt there's many (if any) home shop cnc's that run perfectly, hold tolerance, and require no maintenance right from the get-go. Researching & educating yourself on each of the numerous components /systems of a build are what gives you the understanding of how it all works together & what is likely (or at least possibly) wrong when the thing isn't doing what you expect it to do.

YES! it's a huge & daunting task for the average 'garage tinkerer' but not impossible! Many have gone down this road & wound up with a workable machine in the end. The way to get through it is to break it down step by step.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you have a fair amount of purely mechanical work ahead of you before you even get to the electronics. That gives you lots of time to wrap your brain around it so you'll be able to make it happen once you get there. Even after you have a completed CNC machine sitting in your shop, the learning curve continues as you must have CAD/CAM skills & learn how to use /tweak the operating system.

Not to mention the slow & EXPENSIVE task of actually learning a little bit about being a machinist!

gd.marsh

Downloads
    Uploads

If you're talking about putting those servo motors on one of these mill-drills: Mini Mill - 2 Speed Mini Milling Machine perhaps you should rethink that idea. It's like putting a Ferrari engine in a go-cart. Why not save that stuff for your next project, when you've developed more experience and confidence with motion control, and get a simpler system to implement on this one, like a G-540 and some 23-frame stepper motors? That's going to be a lot simpler to figure out, and would give you a machine that might be helpful in putting together your next more ambitious CNC project.

As was pointed out above, it would be a good idea to change out the leadscrews of that mill-drill, but ballscrews aren't required - even acme screws would be a big step up from what it comes with. The other major task, besides mounting your stepper motors, is working out an alternative for Z axis motion, since that crude rack-and-pinion drive isn't very suitable for CNC. You do have a fair amount of mechanical work to do before you'll need to worry about the motion control part of your project.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurdCurd View Post
    Hi,
    I have a HF mill/drill that I want to turn into a CNC. I have Mach3, I also have SEVERAL Yaskawa SGD-02-BP servopacks, SEVERAL Yaskawa CIMR-XCBUA0P1 variable frequency drives, SEVERAL Yaskawa GPD205-E0P7 variable frequency drives, SEVERAL Yaskawa SGM 02B312 AC servo motors, a bunch of photoelectric switches, limiting switches and a whole bunch of stuff that I don't know what it is.. My problem is I don't know if I need anything else nor do I have ANY idea how to connect this stuff. What I'm asking is very simple, you come over, help me get this up and running and in return, I will reward you with a few of the above items for your time and patience. I live in Westchester, IL 60154. Right by Wolf Rd and Cermak (22nd). Shoot me an email and let's chat.
    if you need help converting the mill check out hoss the mans website, it is loaded with information on how to cnc these mills and make a bunch of cool projects for it. Hossmachine_Cnc Conversion if you take your time and do a lot of reading you should be able to handle it. be sure to read his help for newbies. Attention Newbies! - CNC - The Hossmachine Forum

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    I doubt there's many (if any) home shop cnc's that run perfectly, hold tolerance, and require no maintenance right from the get-go. Researching & educating yourself on each of the numerous components /systems of a build are what gives you the understanding of how it all works together & what is likely (or at least possibly) wrong when the thing isn't doing what you expect it to do.

YES! it's a huge & daunting task for the average 'garage tinkerer' but not impossible! Many have gone down this road & wound up with a workable machine in the end. The way to get through it is to break it down step by step.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you have a fair amount of purely mechanical work ahead of you before you even get to the electronics. That gives you lots of time to wrap your brain around it so you'll be able to make it happen once you get there. Even after you have a completed CNC machine sitting in your shop, the learning curve continues as you must have CAD/CAM skills & learn how to use /tweak the operating system.

Not to mention the slow & EXPENSIVE task of actually learning a little bit about being a machinist!

gd.marsh
    I forgot to mention that I am a Tool Maker, the mechanical aspects of the build should be easy, it's the electronics I don't know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got time, I'm in no rush although I'd like it to be done by xmas.