Problem G0720R Inverter died

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G0720R Inverter died

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0720R Inverter died

My less-than-one-year-old G0720R benchtop mill died. In the middle of drilling some small holes, I pushed the Start button and got only a small click. Some diagnostic work determined that some of the power transistors on the inverter board had shorted out. I have no clue as to why they died when the machine was under no load or even stopped.

Does anyone have experience with inverter problems on this machine?

Grizzly have agreed to send me a new inverter board, but would not tell me when I might get it--including the possibility that it might have to come from China.

Has anyone swapped out the supplied inverter for another type? Is this sort of failure common?

Any ideas about what I can do to fix and avoid this problem in the future will be appreciated.

Dr. Wiggly

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0720R Inverter died

Mine died as well. It was a G0720 and it had been in sporadic use for two years when the board died. My mill was already out of warranty so I had to shell out $ 400+ for a replacement. I did try to find another source because I could not believe that a board that had only seen less than 20 hours of use would fail. The motor does exist as a stand alone with its built in position sensor but the inverter board was not available in single quantities. My new board has been working since its installation but I have been wary of using the E Stop switch to stop the motor given that the inverter board failed when I pressed the same to stop the motor. Good luck with your search. If you do find another possibility please post your findings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked for a different inverter that would work with the mill since I also felt that it was wrong for the electronics to fail so quickly. I think that alternate inverters are available, but any of them will likely cost as much or more. More importantly, the Grizzly inverter module has several other functions built into it, so just an inverter wouldn't be a useable replacement.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dr. What other functions are involved in the inverter? If the wiring is anywhere similar to a G0704, they are just using a copy of a KBMM125. The tach is a separate circuit.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest1,

You're right that not much other stuff is on the inverter board but the control panel seems to be fed mostly from there. The inverter board connects to the Start, Stop, Tach, and Milling/Tapping controls. Probably most of the work just would be tracing the existing circuits and making a separate circuit diagram for use with a different inverter.
    Another option would be to have on hand the parts to repair the Grizzly board when the power IGBTs go pop. I didn't try that when mine died because I was still under warranty. Analyzing the inverter with an ohmmeter, everything seemed okay except for two of the IGBTs and the fuse.
    Someone could do us all a big favor by tracing the circuits and writing a "how-to" for using a different inverter or repairing the Grizzly one.
    I hadn't seen the KBMM125 before. Looking at the documents on the web site, I don't see how it can be used with a motor that has Hall effect sensors as the Grizzly motor has. Did I miss something?

Last edited by DrWiggly; 11-25-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add comment

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The G0720R has a brushless DC motor, so the KBMM drivers will not work. You have few choices, other than getting a replacement from Grizzly, as a BLDC driver needs to be matched to the motor.

Sadly, there have been many machines over the last 5+ years that used BLDC motors, and BLDC "upgrade" kits sold for many machines. I can't think of a single one that hasn't been pretty much a total train wreck in terms of performance and especially reliability. A BLDC spindle motor nearly killed Novakon, and did kill Mikini. If it were me, I'd ditch the BLDC motor, and get a good 3-phase AC motor and VFD. In the end, it would probably cost less, work better, and last a LOT longer.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was assuming the motor and drive were similar to the G0704's. I went the route Ray suggests with my 12 x 36 when its motor went South. I have quite a rpm range without changing gears.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My problem with the G0720R motor controller continues. The first failure occurred just before the warranty expired and Grizzly provided a replacement. Since then the replacement controller has failed the same way: I have repaired it three times and it has failed every time. After I repair it, it runs for maybe a hundred presses of the "Emergency Stop" button and then fails again. Every time it fails is under the same condition. It runs just fine if I never had to press the "Emergency Stop" button, but since it is the only way to conveniently stop the tool, I grit my teeth and press. Maybe I could turn the speed control all the way down and then turn it off, but before long, I would wear out the speed control.

Grizzly says they have never heard of this problem, but it seems like Poseidon reports the same failure in his reply. Nice to have some company in misery Poseidon;-)

Lacking any solution, so far Grizzly tells me that they don't do refunds nor trade-ins, Given that lack of support, I'm dead in the water or doomed to work two or three days and then spend a day and money to repair it yet another time. If any others of you readers know of the same problem, please post it here or elsewhere on the web so Grizzly cannot be unaware of the problem.

Any ideas for salvaging my $3300 investment?

In the meantime, if any of you have a dead motor controller lying around, it may have failed in any number of ways, but I will guess that this failure is one of the very common ways it fails. It shorts out two of the six power transistors when the "Emergency Stop" switch is pressed. If you contact me directly, I will provide instructions on how to diagnose this failure and how to repair it. You will need an ohmmeter and soldering skills.

I hope none of you need to accept my offer.

Update: I jumped the gun a bit on saying that Grizzly offered no help. I just got a call to tell me that they were sending me a new controller and motor. They think maybe the problem occurs from an interaction of the parts. I will be trying the new parts to see if this fix does it.

Last edited by DrWiggly; 02-13-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Update

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Doc,

Sorry to hear of your inverter woes. Thankfully, someone else is carrying the Sieg SX4 here in the US(Milling Machines) and at $ 300.00 less than Grizzly. Support from Grizzly is almost non-existent. I even tried contacting Sieg but they told me that I had to go through the distributor which, at that time, was only MTW in Canada and Grizzly in the US. My replacement has been working since its installation but I have always been using the POT to turn the motor down. Do you have a source for the transistors that sit below the main board?

BTW, is your unit already CNC'd? I ask because the E-stop becomes even more important with the conversion but, given the reliability problem with the inverter board, I have been keeping the keyboard handy for its Escape(Esc) key to stop the automated motion of the table.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do not have CNC connected.

See the update to my recent post. Grizzly has not forsaken me! In my discussions with Tech Support, we speculated that since the problem does not occur on most of the machines they sell, and since replacing the controller doesn't fix the problem, some other part of the machine has to make my unit different from most others. The "Emergency Stop" switch operates by simply turning off the AC power to the control unit, so the motor is the only other part that seems suspect.

The DC motor has Hall magnetic sensors in it to detect the rotor position and switch the power phases as needed. If the sensors were behind or ahead of the rotor a little or noisy or some other way not exactly right, that might do it. I'll post what happens with this experiment.

The power transistors used in the motor controller are mounted directly on the heat sink and their leads are soldered on the circuit board. They are Fairchild FGL60N100BNTD insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) and cost about $6.42 from mouser.com or many other electronic parts suppliers. It is important to remove the old solder to clear the holes so that you can slide in the leads of the replacements. I also replaced the insulating film between the transistor and the heatsink just for good measure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am happy to report that Grizzly has continued to work with me to fix my G0720R mill problem. They sent me a new motor and motor controller after my most recent plea for help. I don't know whether the motor has been updated since they built my original motor, but the controller board has clearly been updated in hardware and software. Their willingness to supply parts after the warranty period had expired apparently is due to deciding that I had an unresolved warranty problem.
    The new parts fixed my problem. I have operated the mill for several hours and hundreds of operation of the "Emergency Stop (ES)" button with no problem. I suspect that the modifications to the controller are responsible for fixing my problem, but of course, I cannot rule out that they may have modified the motor also.
    For any of you who have a similar problem you could buy a new updated controller, but since it's so expensive you may not want to gamble on it. As discussed in previous posts, a work-around for lethal stops is to turn the speed control down before hitting the ES button. That takes time and will eventually wear out the speed control. A better way would be to add a switch to redirect the speed control output to a fixed zero-speed setting. Then you could just flip the switch to stop the tool. You might also hit the ES button for safety if you are going to be changing tools or otherwise risking your fingers. I was prepared to install this custom fix if the new controller didn't fix my problem, but I didn't have to try it. If anyone wants to try this work-around, let me know and I'll explain how I planned to do it.
    Thanks to Grizzly for sticking with me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Turning down the rpm prior to hitting the Estop wears something out? I doubt it, or it is such a little amount it is insignificant.

Also would seem to defeat the purpose of an EStop to require any other moves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast