Tormach 5" CNC Vise or Glacern 5" Standard Vise for PM-30 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tormach 5" CNC Vise or Glacern 5" Standard Vise for PM-30

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 5" CNC Vise or Glacern 5" Standard Vise for PM-30

But how tall are your vises from the table to the top of the jaw? (stock jaw)

I am using the Shars CNC Lock Vise 6". It is way too big but workable. I use it on my manual mill too. The top of the jaw is 4.75 of the table. It appears this Glacern and the Shars are much lower. Maybe in the 2.5" range for the 4-5" vises. Could anyone verify this? I use 3 pieces of aluminum bar configured into a vise of sorts often. Keeping the work right above the table and giving me more tool room. It looks a lot like Luiz Ally's aka Tryally on YouTube but much bigger.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have the stock jaws for the Tormach vise as I bought it used but I would say the top of the jaws are close to 4" with a bed height of about 2.5". I would have to get the 4" out of the box to give dimension, although shars usually have them on their website.

Downloads
    Uploads

cowanrg, how do you like your 550V? Does it match the photos Shars has (which are actually of a 440V?) I'm curious if the apron/coolant channel extends beyond the fixed jaw or not, and how far it opens (description says 5" opening, but I've heard the 440V actually opens to about 6", which looks to be true from their photos.)

Downloads
    Uploads

One thing puzzles me - with an X2 (the OP's original machine in question) you have a fairly limited tool / machining envelope - something like 200mm - X, 75mm - Y and 150mm - Z.
    So ideally the centre of the poential clamped area should sit under the tool to gain the maximum but if the vice is hung 'out the back' that will reduce it? And if its not then the outside
    clamp ares is going along for the ride unless you are repositioning the workpiece?.......which then hangs out the back so back to square one?
    I use a 100mm precision machinists type and if I need the extra width capacity I pair it up with another - or am I missing something here?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the OP was moving from an X2 to a PM30, A much larger mill.

i heard that Glacern was painting the Shars and saying they were made in America

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=66tbgzJeCQQ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cowanrg View Post
    I'm having the hardest time trying to decide on a vise for my new mill. I'm currently using a 4" toolmaker's vise for my X2, and it's a bit too small, and it's a bit of a pain to use too. Plus, it's ridiculously tiny on the huge table.

I've narrowed it down to a 5" vise. A 4" seems a BIT too small (I could be wrong), and a 6" is just too big. There are only a few 5" vises out there, so here are my choices:

Attachment 228406

Tormach 5" CNC Vise

Pros:

-$100 less
    -more compact
    -multiple mounting options

Cons:

-unknown quality (Tormach is good, but I haven't heard much about this vise)
    -no swivel base?

Attachment 228408

Glacern 5" Standard

Pros:

-Glacern seems to be high quality, from what I've read
    -swivel base option

Cons:

-less mounting options
    -pricey
    -bulkier

Thoughts? Does anyone know anything about the Tormach? It looks nice, but there are no specs, and it looks like like all the cheaper chinese ones you can find on eBay for half as much.
    The Tormach CNC vise is a nice vice, but it only opens 4 1/4 inches.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123