Harbor Freight 42976 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbor Freight 42976

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information!

So, it sounds like when you got it, it had those little ball/valve oil port thingys?

Then you pulled them out and tapped the holes with a pipe tap, or did you glue the fittings in place?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi again Jeff

"it had those little ball/valve oil port thingys"

"Then you pulled them out and tapped the holes with a pipe tap, or did you glue the fittings in place?"

That is ecactly what happened. I left the "little ball thingys" on the X & Y axis screws and all the hiddens ones I replaced with pipe fittings. I screwed them in where I could and pressed then in if there wasn't room for the thread (no glue). They've all stayed in well.

By the way, I used a tap to remove the "little ball thingys". It was the only way I could figure out to get a handle on them.

Karl

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

-Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What oil to use?

I just purchased a business that has an HF 42976 mill. I have never used a mill and need the basics. What is the correct oil to use? I will be making the mod shown here for the oilers. Very nice. I also want to eventually make it a CNC mill. But that will be a while down the road. I would like information on on parts used and software to run it as a CNC mill. I am brand new at all this.

Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tim

I purchased my oil from McMaster-Carr in Chicago. It is called "way oil".

The software I use to operate it is called "Mach3" There is a very good forum on Yahoo and another at ArtSoft.com on it's usage. It is very good software and is free for hobby users. (He defines that as a users how's programs are less than 50 line of code(I believe), otherwise he charges $150, I think, for the software.) You create a CNC program in "gcode" and Mach3 converts that code in to machine control movements. To convert the mill you will need stepper motors (or servos), controllers (Geckos work well) and a 30 t0 40 volt power supply. Most people also use a breakout board to protect the computer from the mill. The above forums have all the info about this conversion.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nuts View Post
    Tim

I purchased my oil from McMaster-Carr in Chicago. It is called "way oil".

The software I use to operate it is called "Mach3" There is a very good forum on Yahoo and another at ArtSoft.com on it's usage. It is very good software and is free for hobby users. (He defines that as a users how's programs are less than 50 line of code(I believe), otherwise he charges $150, I think, for the software.) You create a CNC program in "gcode" and Mach3 converts that code in to machine control movements. To convert the mill you will need stepper motors (or servos), controllers (Geckos work well) and a 30 t0 40 volt power supply. Most people also use a breakout board to protect the computer from the mill. The above forums have all the info about this conversion.

Karl
    Mach3 is NOT "free for hobby users"! It contains a demo/evaluation mode that allows it to be run on short programs to evaluate its suitability to you needs/machine before having to purchase it. Even hobbyists are expected to purchase it if they continue to use it beyond a reasonable evaluation period.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ray, I don't want to start an argument with you, but I have discussed this matter personally with both Brian and Art, and Mach3 is in fact free to hobby users as long as they can limit their program size. Art even told me that he didn't care if you cut your program up into many small segments and ran it that way. Both Brian and Art have a very sweet spot in their hearts for us hobbyists!!! They are AWSOME!!!

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Mach3 is NOT "free for hobby users"! It contains a demo/evaluation mode that allows it to be run on short programs to evaluate its suitability to you needs/machine before having to purchase it. Even hobbyists are expected to purchase it if they continue to use it beyond a reasonable evaluation period.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    It would make sense to me that if they did not intend it to be "free for hobby users" then they would have added a time constraint to the demo...

http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12