Newbie Finally Entering the Mill World

Thread: Finally Entering the Mill World

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finally Entering the Mill World

I just purchased My Mill, a Harbor Freight 44991 (X2) benchtop mini mill. It should be at my door in 3-7 business days (we'll see).

Thank You for Ordering from Harbor Freight Tools

Here is your Order Confirmation
    Order ID:XXXXXXXXXX
    Order Date:2011-08-25 16:49:28.79
    ***Order Summary***
    1 44991-0VGA Two-Speed Variable Bench Mill/Drill
    Actual price 599.99
    20% off Coupon = 479.99
    Machine $479.99
    Subtotal: 479.99
    Tax Rate: 0.0825
    Tax Total: 41.99
    Shipping: 28.94......Standard (cheapest) HF shipping method
    Handling: 0.00
    TOTAL: $550.92
    No accessories

your order will be sent via HFT Shipping
    ***NOTE: This is a copy of your order. Charges are not final until the order is processed.***
    To check status of your order please call X-XXX-XXX-XXXX. Please be sure to have your order number.
    These commodities, technology, or software were exported from the United States in accordance with the Export Administration regulations. Diversion contrary to U.S. Law is prohibited.

I intend to try and document my progress from beginning to end to showcase my lack of experience, knowledge, skills and newbishness, it will be a long process Lol. I am hoping that along the way I will get some good advise and suggestions from you guys that have already done this and that it may be a useful reference to other newbies as what to do and what not to do. I plan on doing a strait forward bolt on CNC conversion and then modifying it as I get more knowledgeable and brave enough.

First I need to acknowledge in order Nateman doo and hossmachine for their endeavors and making the light bulb over my head turn on.

I will try and post some pics and video with my phone during the process.
    Richard

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the Machining world... You have a long road ahead of you willed with long nights and frustration lol. Are you planning on using the CNC fusion kit?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    Welcome to the Machining world... You have a long road ahead of you willed with long nights and frustration lol. Are you planning on using the CNC fusion kit?

Definitely not...I don't like the way he designed his z axis. It may never bind or add any back lash but I just don't trust it and it being all exposed like a center fold playmate to get all the wrong kinds of stuff in its nooks and crannies just doesn't appeal to me...just a matter of personal preference. I have heard from guys using it and they haven't had any problems, but with my kinda luck...I'll be that guy that it fouls up on and at the exact wrong time Lol.

I'll be using the sterlingsteel kit http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html later on...unless something better comes out or cncfusion changes his to the right way, his motor mounting brackets do look nice though. However my grandfather told me growing up that just because she looks pretty doesn't mean she performs good Lol
    Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default gauge questions

I'm trying to decide on some gauges for when I get my mill.

Dial or digital
    For Dial
    which is more accurate. In my experience (which is little) you have to be looking perfectly strait at the dial and vernier scales or your a little off on your readings.

For digital
    It is what it displays...it doesnt matter how you look at it. How much can these be off?

Gauges that I'm sure I'll need to get mill set up properly after dissambly, cleaning and re-assembly...
    Magnetic base...flex or shaft?
    Tram gauge?

What else?
    Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

I would strongly suggest an analogue dial gauge. 99% of the time you are not interested in the actual value displayed, only the way the value is changing. This is so much clearer than a digital display. Much like a car speedometer, dials are still better, even if they aren't as cool. With the difference in price, you could probably afford to get a plunger type and finger type DTI for the price of a single digital gauge. It is very useful to have both types.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    I would strongly suggest an analogue dial gauge. 99% of the time you are not interested in the actual value displayed, only the way the value is changing. This is so much clearer than a digital display. Much like a car speedometer, dials are still better, even if they aren't as cool. With the difference in price, you could probably afford to get a plunger type and finger type DTI for the price of a single digital gauge. It is very useful to have both types.
    My cars speedometer is digital, definitely cooler lol. You can prob get a higher resolution analog for cheaper than a digital

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    Thank you for bringing that up...I hadn't thought of that aspect...Doh
    You make a very good point about needing to be able to interpret fluctuating readings quickly. Would be much easier with analog dials than digital displays.
    Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello guys

I'm going to end up converting my X2 to CNC...but later down the road.

Until then I want a reliable, accurate and repeatable way to operate it. I'm going to need to get some scales and most likely a DRO. I dont want to try going back and forth between 3 little displays to see where I'm at Lol.

Right now I need some help with scales. What do you guys recommend for the X3 for X, Y and Z axes? Also I will be using Coolant.

I'm still looking thru forums to find info on doing this...but there's a lot to go thru. If you have any links that detail installing scales and dro (and whatever other parts are needed) I'd greatly appreciate the help.
    Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Sabaston,

Did your X2 arrive? I probably know less than you; total novice newbie. Am building an electric racing bike and to have it for Oct22 race in SoCal. So need to get my Harbor Freight mill online in a hurry. This is your thread, but our topics may be so similiar that your info will be very relevant for me.

Is this machine an X2? If so, mine arrived in 5 bus days.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally Entering the Mill World-x2newpic-jpg  
    Last edited by SoSauty; 09-04-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

SoSauty...yes it got here on friday at 3:00 PM. FedEx gave me a scare the way it was delivered. The crate was in the truck laying on it's side which was obvious due to the skids on the bottom not being under neath the crate...IDIOTS. The bands were only thing keeping it together in some places. No lift gate but it is only 150 Lbs so no issues.

Took pictures of it (crate) where FedEx guy sat it down so I could document delivery condition in case of damage and immediately called FedEx to report the way it was delivered so I would have it documented with them.

Trying to upload pics to my PC from my phone so as soon as I get it figured out I'll post them.

When I broke down the crate I was surprised by a huge block of styrofoam encasing the mill like a giant square Easter egg. After I removed the two halves of styrofoam I noticed that the vertical column was tilted to the right about 15 degrees which at first pissed me off but quickly remembered that I needed to tram it anyway. After a complete tear down to nuts and bolts and cleaning I havent found any thing wrong with it yet.
    I didnt disconnect any of the electronics except for taking the control housing off of the back of the column. Reassembled it ant it works...good so far.

Last edited by sabastion; 09-05-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I asked a question in another thread and since this relates to my build thread here I am posting a link to it. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ill_chuck.html

It has to do with the HF R8 taper and drill chuck not coming apart...answer provided by Hoss
    Richard