Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!

Cool Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!

As part of a favor to Justin (JUZWUZ), I have choosen to make a couple bases out of 6061 Aluminum to support a VEXTA stepper motor with a Harmonic Gear Reduction unit. The Harmonic Drive has a Ratio of 1/50, with a max Torque of 55Kgcm.

After I make the aluminum support bases, I will make an adapter plate to go between the Harmonic Drive and a 3" 3-jaw scroll chuck.

First I ordered two blocks of aluminum, 4x4x4 1/4

The next step is to machine the cube perfectly square, so the 4th axis motor will always be paralell to the base. The project begins here!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0476-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0477-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-4thaxisbase-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0478-jpg  

Last edited by widgitmaster; 04-11-2006 at 07:11 AM.
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Cool

The next phase is to machine one flat surface on each block, to do this I used my homemade Fly-Cutter, with a HSS tool bit sharpened just right!

Because my mill has a 4" vise, I had to remove the jaws to gain a little extra opening! Then I used a pair of "Starrett #54" hold downs to pull the block tightly to the floor of the vise, then I machined the opposite surface perfectly flat & parallel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0458-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0467-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0468-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0474-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Now that two sides are machined, the next step is to make o square corner. To do this, I put my 6x6x6 angle plate on the mill table. By clamping one machined surface to the angle plate and putting a dowel pin under the block to make it parallel to the machine table, I was able to machine a 90 deg corner. Then I placed the other angle plate on the machine, and clamped the block in such a way as to get a third 90 deg corner! Having a pair of 6" KantTwist clamps really helps!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0465-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0466-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0461-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0464-jpg  

Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0462-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Now that I have a block with all the right dimensions, it's time to chop it up in the bandsaw!

First I scribed my lines on the appropriate surfaces with the carbide scribe attached to my little height gage, then I double checked the layout to avoid any mistakes.

Then I changed the blade in my bandsaw to a 6TPI, and set it at maximum speed. Then I took a wax stick and gooped up the moving blade! Next I pushed the block into the blade and with lots of noise, the corner was removed!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0479-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0480-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0472-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0473-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

The las part for the evening is to modify an endmill to be used on the inside corners.

A nice new 3/4" 4 flute endmill with a 3" length of cut will do just fine! But first I need to hand sharpen the corners of the endmill on my pedistal grinder, and a .1875 Radius gage. First I free handed the radius on all four flutes using the grinder, then I took a nice stone and honed the edge real keen while wearing an optivisor so my old eyes could see what I was trying to do!

Then I put the freshly saw cut block in the mill vise, and took a cut on one inside surface, to make it .750" thick. The radius on the endmill left a perfect fillet in the corner, to ensure strength of the drive unit! I'm hungry!

Total shop time: 4hr

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0469-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0471-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0475-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0481-jpg  

Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0482-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 04-10-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    www.widgitmaster.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

impressive work as usual!

Cool

Then I flipped the part in the vise in order to mill the other inside wall to a 1.000" dimension

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0483-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0484-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0485-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Next I held the part sideways in the vise, and took a cut on both sides, flipping the part to ensure the hub would be central to the base.

Then I used an old .100 gage block to set the depth of the endmill equal to the floor of the part. This enabled me to blend the new cuts in with the exsisting surfaces.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0486-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0488-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0489-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0491-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Next opperation requires a solid mill-stop, so the parts can be removed from the vise and put back in the exact same position over and over agan!

Then I used my dial indicator to place the spindle in the center of the part, by moving the table untill I had zero on both sides.

Then I used an old Toolmakers trick to put the spindle center equal to the edge of the part, by using a dial indicator and my .100 gage block! Simply the same as the previous step, except the zero from the back edge of the part, must be the same zero when the gage block is held against the part! This is a little more time consuming than an edge finder, but it is much more accurate!

Now that the part is on location, I drilled a 1/2" hole through each part. Then I used an 1 1/4" dia. 2 flute endmill to open the hole.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0492-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0493-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0494-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0495-jpg  

Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0496-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0497-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 04-11-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

The next step is to bore the hole to fit the protruding boss on the Harmonic Drive unit. For this I choose my little 2" boring head.

After several .100 deep passes with a feed of .003 / rev., at 1800 RPM The bores in both blocks are within .010 of finished size.

Because I was very rough with the machine and had removed the parts from the vise several times, I choose to clean up around the vise, and re indicate the part an take a final bore to size. This was done for each block.

They are now at the same level!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0501-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0502-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0503-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Now that the bores are finished, it's time to drill and tap a few holes!

Each part gets 4 #10-24 threads through the part. then each side gets countersinked to make the threads look clean!

After assembly, the harmonic drive unit sits nicely in its new home!

Total Shop time today: 5hr

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0504-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0505-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0507-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

This project was fun for me, it was not complicated or challenging, but as long as I'm cutting metal, I'm happy!
    My methods were choosen to demonstrate a few basic procedures, they may not have been the best way, or the easiest way to produce these parts but they work!
    A word of caution to the newbees amoung us, the use of long endmills can be extreemly dangerous! They can grab the part and rip it out of the vise, or they can snap or shatter in your face! After several years of experience on bridgeport mills, I have gained some knowledge as to the limits one can push a long endmill through a piece of metal!

I hope that everyone enjoyed following this post, as much as I have doing it!

Although the parts are not finished; consequently, there are still radius's to cut on the corners, and holes to drill in th base. The bulk of the project is done! I hope everyone can learn from this too!

But ther will be more, as I have to make the fixture plates too!

Sincerely,
    Eric

Last edited by widgitmaster; 04-30-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool Now its time to make the fron fixture plate!

Now its time to make the fron fixture plate!

The 4th axis will be able to use a 3" diameter 3-jaw scroll chuck, and a 1/2" thick cast iron t-slot fixture plate, for mounting irregular shaped blocks and parts.

first I needed to use the 8" rotary table for my milling machine, then I took a scrap block of aluminum from the shelf and drilled 4 mounting holes and counterbored them. Then I mounted the plate to the rotary table with 4 3/8-16 SHCS and some t-Nuts that fit the rotary table.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-fixtureplate-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0553-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0554-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0555-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Then I took the two cast iron discs that I had turned to size on my lathe late last night, and used a 3/4" diameter 2-flute end mill to cut a pocket in the aluminum plate to nest the cast iron discs.

Then I drilled and tapped two 1/4-40 holes at 22.5 degrees from the centerline of my milling table. These are for the two little straps to hold the discs in the nest.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0555-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0556-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0557-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Then I took a .1875 diameter carbide 4-flute end mill, and zeroed the end flush with the cast iron disc, then I plotted out my paths by cutting .002 deep where the slots will be.

Two of the slots go completely across the disc, and four stop about 1" from center. this is to allow for the mounting holes to be drilled later.

Then I set the depth of the endmill to .260", then I milled the 8-slots into the cast iron.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0558-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0559-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0560-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Then I changed cutters, and put a small t-slot cutter in the mill's collet.
    The cutter is .375" diameter x .125".

I then followed the same path for all 8 slots, using the small t-slot cutter.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0561-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Next, I drilled 4 holed .5625" from center, around .192" diameter for a metric SHCS.

Then I used a .315" diameter 4-flute endmill to cut the counter bore for the screw heads.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0562-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0563-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Now we have a fixture plate that mounts on to the 4th axis harmonic drive unit. The same procedure was used to make a second disk.

Total shop time: 3.5 hours each.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-fixtureplate-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0507-jpg   Home Made 4th Axis with Harmonic Drive Unit!-000_0564-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work.
    What is a harmonic drive?????
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by yukonho
    Very nice work.
    What is a harmonic drive?????
    Cheers,
    Colin

Harmonic Drive: Technology for high precision high reduction gear.

This drive has a 50 to 1 gear ratio.

Eric

www.widgitmaster.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast