Build Thread My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with others. Direct drive just eliminates complicated install and would introduce more backlash that these machines don't need. I'm running a 640 NEMA 34 on my lathe Z.

Speed has never been an issue for me as I'm usually only 2-3" off spindle. I actually have my rapids around 40-50 ipm. As far as crashes on lathe side my steppers will stall before destruction happens. At first I also left my spindle belt on the loose side to help with chuck crashes. Crashes for me now are a rarity,but still seem to happen when I'm punching in a code quickly and not paying attention as confidence increases. All of my "production" codes are all finished and can now just open it and cut away.
    My biggest improvement (lathe) in finish happened when I finally upgrade all my tooling to better quality holders and polished inserts for aluminum.
    Remember all my gears are gone and I turned a new pulley,that coupled with new bearings really improved vibration. My spindle is really smooth and quiet even at 2500 rpm it is virtually vibration free.

The mill is as you know by now a big piece of junk. I can get decent finish with 3/16 and 1/8" end mills (although I don't have RPM for them),but 1/2" just knocks table and spindle play all around.

When watching videos of high dollar 20HP machines I can't help but think how much it would cost to fix if I was running it!!!

Once you start using your machine you will forget all about manual machining

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I remember when Fannblade started his project - he was moving fast. Looking through these various versions of the conversion, it's interesting to note that almost everyone ends up with essentially a copy of the Shoptask circa 2001 which had slowly evolved from the simple machines of the early 80's. Brackets, ball screw mounts etc. look like copies, except that Shoptask had managed to retain the gear drives as well as ball screws ending up with the gear drive Patriot around 2008 which was a very complex machine with gear driven power feeds on X, Y and Z axes as well as CNC and ball screw drives plus the 4th axis to raise and lower the head. Around 2010 they dropped all the gear drives in favor of 100% electronic drives, which simplified the machine and shed 100's of parts.

Default Re: My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion

ZeroFighter or FannBlade,

Now that you have done all this research and development, why don't you make a kit. I'm interested in the G9729 CNC conversion. When can I buy one??

Also, what is your thoughts on the FlashCut CNC products for this particular machine (the G9729 mill/lathe combo) ?? As it seems they have a ready made kit? Did you just want to do it on your own, or was there a flaw in their product??

Last edited by KevMoto; 04-28-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KevMoto View Post
    ZeroFighter or FannBlade,

Now that you have done all this research and development, why don't you make a kit. I'm interested in the G9729 CNC conversion. When can I buy one??

Also, what is your thoughts on the FlashCut CNC products for this particular machine (the G9729 mill/lathe combo) ?? As it seems they have a ready made kit? Did you just want to do it on your own, or was there a flaw in their product??
    Ha Ha......no kit in the works from me!!

I'm not familiar with FlashCut. Although I have read some others are using it. I prefer to use separate components. Plus I can buy when I have the money....LOL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was mostly interested in doing it a) to learn how to do it, and learn the ins and outs of the machine, and b) on the cheap. The FlashCut CNC package seems pricey, I don't think I have nearly that much in my machine. Probably around $1000.

I will share any of the CAD files I have with you, and obviously FannBlade has posted a lot of info that I unabashedly copied.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do have to say though, my biggest regret was taking apart the mill spindle. It has never run as well as it did out of the box. Also the clamp on bracket for my mill Z is too flexible. I have designed a new one, I just need to mill it out.

Good enough...

Quote Originally Posted by zer0fighter View Post
    I was mostly interested in doing it a) to learn how to do it, and learn the ins and outs of the machine, and b) on the cheap. The FlashCut CNC package seems pricey, I don't think I have nearly that much in my machine. Probably around $1000.

I will share any of the CAD files I have with you, and obviously FannBlade has posted a lot of info that I unabashedly copied.
    I appreciate that and I'm getting a quote from FlashCut right now...if it's too pricey... I'm definitely going to copy yours and FannBlades (first study them more of course)...

I do have to say though, my biggest regret was taking apart the mill spindle. It has never run as well as it did out of the box. Also the clamp on bracket for my mill Z is too flexible. I have designed a new one, I just need to mill it out.
    Could you have done the conversion without doing that? Or I should ask, Why did you take the mill spindle out? What were you hoping to accomplish?

Now if I could just get a grizzly coupon for the G9729 :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found my 9729 on eBay, as Grizzly sometimes puts them at good prices there, then called them to see if they would honor the price if I picked up at the closest one to me in Bellingham and they did. $1525 iirc.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Just out of Curiosity... I was watching the Tormach Duality Lathe cut on a 4th axis (using the lathe to turn a round object to cut on it with the mill)... Can you do that with the CNC conversion on the G9729 ?? just curious...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd imagine if you could figure out a way to mount a servo to the lathe spindle you could, but the design doesn't allow it to do that easily.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Zero, I wish you had a step by step.... since I can't see any of FannBlades pictures (at least not in the descriptions of what he's doing) it is going to be really hard to make sense of it all. My strong point is programming (Java, Flex, Javascript, SQL....etc)... not building or even conceiving this kind of stuff.

Did you choose step motors because they were cheaper than servo's ? I ask because I noticed FlashCut CNC conversions ... the servo kits are twice as much as the steppers. And do you have any regrets about that?

Ok, I got the quote from FlashCut CNC... YIKES! While they are kind enough to offer to engineer and create the mounting brackets for the G9729 at no cost, the price for 3 axis entire cnc system is:

(Just thought I'd post this to help anyone else making this decision)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion-flashcutcncquote0003-pdf  
    Last edited by KevMoto; 04-29-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Zer0fightger and FannBlade,

I was wondering if you have a parts list put together? Everything from electronics (controllers, power supplies, motors, etc...) to hardware and software?

I mean I can see what you've posted, but I want to make sure i'm not missing something and I am really confused about the Drive motor and the switch from Mill to Lathe.

Also, zer0figher, in your first picture of your Mill Z-axis ball screw, it looked like it extended down into the work space of the mill and lathe...but later in pictures I didn't see it. Did you change that out for a shorter one?

Kev

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been following this thread with great interest because I bought my 3 in 1 from Harbor Freight about 4 years ago. I want to make it Automagic CNC too. Very nice work BTW: Thanks for documenting it.

I'm sure you guys have seen the HF CNC conversion on youtoob. He kept the ACME screw for the table and uses a servo motor with timing belt for the X axis. The guy is in Oklahoma. He said he was getting +/- .012 on the table with the ACME Screw and +/- ,006 on the X axis with the ball screw. He says now he replaced the ACME with a Ball screw.
    Snip>

Since this vid I replaced the x drive with a real ballscrew; its now within 0.002 Y and 0.005 X The biggest problem is having to raise work so high, the Z cannot be lowered and as the Z extends (goes 4") it has more side to side play, so its better to raise job as high as possible. Hope to put up some better vids soon, it has made some very nice steel parts I could not have made manually. Thanks!
    Snip>

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a pic I took today. That is why I moved mine to the other end.
    My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion-p4300007-jpg

zer0fighter,

I actually tried to send you a PM yesterday, but somehow I sent it to myself… Anyway, I looked at the source code for the first forum page that had his pictures (as I was not able to even see image placeholders to right click on) and got the url so I could replace it with his new domain. So I now have access to all his pictures. I wish the forum owners would just do a find and replace to make all the pictures available. I posted the address in the FannBlade thread.

As for specifics, nope, just wanted to see what he is talking about.

Last night I looked at about 200 of the pics and amazingly you can pretty much see what’s going on just by looking at the pics in order.

I should get my G9729 this Friday… But I haven’t even bought the metal stock to build the table yet! I can weld pretty fast, so I’m not too worried. I’m going to make a super heavy duty table out of 4” square stock ÂĽ” thick (for legs) and not sure about the rest yet, cabinets…etc..

1. Do you have any pics of your monitor set up (location)? Or do you just have it on your bench next to your machine?

2. Also, I didn’t see any lubricant catch and re-use on your video…do you just use small amounts of lubricant ? And what about splatter? I think, since I’m going to make my own table / cabinet, I’m going to make a splash deck with lubricant recirculator…

3. I remember you mentioning that you were using your controller (with Mach3) to control your lubricant, is that right?

4. Also, did you remove the pulley drive system for your lathe and mill and replace it with a new motor so you could control it digitally via your controller? If so, it seems like one could control the lathe just like the Tormach 4th axis.. Maybe just add a separate motor for the lathe?

I really appreciate your help and FannBlade too!

Also, really looking forward to a parts list from either or both of you :-) (if it isn't too much trouble).

Last edited by KevMoto; 04-30-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is mine:
    Drivers: KL-8056D
    PSU: 48 volt Toroidial
    Breakout board: C11T Also recommend PMDX 126 (I will be using this on my Hurco build)
    Steppers: 640oz NEMA34 on lathe Z and 425oz NEMA 23 on the other 2
    Lathe motor: 1hp 3 phase 1800 rpm
    VFD drive: GS2

Certainly only my opinion but they all seem to work very well. I removed all gears from spindle and made a new pulley from scratch. You will need a way to oil bearings and the way I did it may not be the way to go. As for mill it's still running stock motor and will be removed completely when my Hurco is done. The mill head has way to much play to achieve any decent finish....let alone lack of RPM. I just hacked a stepper on the adj knob and weld gears to remove some play. It works BUT........
    I would think a premade Z assembly like for a router would work pretty good fastened to front of mill head. Very happy with my lathe and have tons of hours on it.
    Hope this helps a little and I'm sure others will post there list.

Quote Originally Posted by barneycarparts View Post
    I have been following this thread with great interest because I bought my 3 in 1 from Harbor Freight about 4 years ago. I want to make it Automagic CNC too. Very nice work BTW: Thanks for documenting it.

I'm sure you guys have seen the HF CNC conversion on youtoob. He kept the ACME screw for the table and uses a servo motor with timing belt for the X axis. The guy is in Oklahoma. He said he was getting +/- .012 on the table with the ACME Screw and +/- ,006 on the X axis with the ball screw. He says now he replaced the ACME with a Ball screw.
    Snip>

Since this vid I replaced the x drive with a real ballscrew; its now within 0.002 Y and 0.005 X The biggest problem is having to raise work so high, the Z cannot be lowered and as the Z extends (goes 4") it has more side to side play, so its better to raise job as high as possible. Hope to put up some better vids soon, it has made some very nice steel parts I could not have made manually. Thanks!
    Snip>

Is there any difference in accuracy when using the pulleys attached to the ball screws as opposed to attaching the motor directly to the ball screw?

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Here is mine:
    Drivers: KL-8056D
    PSU: 48 volt Toroidial
    Breakout board: C11T Also recommend PMDX 126 (I will be using this on my Hurco build)
    Steppers: 640oz NEMA34 on lathe Z and 425oz NEMA 23 on the other 2
    Lathe motor: 1hp 3 phase 1800 rpm
    VFD drive: GS2

Certainly only my opinion but they all seem to work very well. I removed all gears from spindle and made a new pulley from scratch. You will need a way to oil bearings and the way I did it may not be the way to go. As for mill it's still running stock motor and will be removed completely when my Hurco is done. The mill head has way to much play to achieve any decent finish....let alone lack of RPM. I just hacked a stepper on the adj knob and weld gears to remove some play. It works BUT........
    I would think a premade Z assembly like for a router would work pretty good fastened to front of mill head. Very happy with my lathe and have tons of hours on it.
    Hope this helps a little and I'm sure others will post there list.
    Thank you for the list FannBlade!

So you added a separate motor for the lathe? Is that so you could use it as a forth axis?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast