Newbie Just got a new optimum BF20L and Im pretty lost, but excited!

Thread: Just got a new optimum BF20L and Im pretty lost, but excited!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just got a new optimum BF20L and Im pretty lost, but excited!

I'm a very small time knifemaker, and was getting tired of making the knife handles and msc parts by hand, so Ive been dreaming of a CNC machine for about a year now.

I finally saved up enough money to afford a BF20L and just took delivery last week.

So far all I've done is unpack the stand and uncrate the mill. My first problem is that this thing is heavier than I thought. Is it a really bad idea for a newby to take the head off so I can lift it and assemble on stand, or will I really be messing up factory alignment that way?

Cheers!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Taking the head off will only shed about 60 lbs.
    If you unbolt the column too that would break it up into manageable hunks by yourself, that's how I did it.
    g0704.com pics
    You'll need to check tram anyway but if you can lift the full mill as is with the help of a friend or two or use a hoist of some sort, tramming will easier.
    Videos here on tramming Projects2
    If you take the head off read #2 here. FAQs
    Good luck, Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much for the pointer to all your info! Ive got lots of reading to do.

I think I might see if I can borrow a hoist so I dont have to take the whole thing apart to get it up on the stand.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are going to end up taking it apart anyway. Might as well learn the machine ins and outs while getting it on the stand. I had mine for all of 2 hours before I completely tore it apart....

Downloads
    Uploads

If you pull the table and head two guys can lift it easy.

The table is only a few bolts. The head is 4 with a hidden hex bolt to prevent it from falling off.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ya I sized up the job, and taking it apart is just way more manageable. I bolted my stand to the concrete and Ive got the head off so far. I was hoping my version has the upgraded 3 bolts the newer grizzlies seem to, but its only go the single.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I almost got it back together but not quite. I took some pics of it in ripped apart stage.

I was doing some floor milling to play with it first though, and I did the break in.

I knew that the stock leadscrews would have some backlash, but it's pretty bad. 0.006 on x and 0.008 on y.

Once I can afford some ballscrews I'll be getting those for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckKnives View Post
    I knew that the stock leadscrews would have some backlash, but it's pretty bad. 0.006 on x and 0.008 on y.

Once I can afford some ballscrews I'll be getting those for sure.
    Isn't there some set screws on the nuts to adjust backlash? I seem to remember there was on mine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Isn't there some set screws on the nuts to adjust backlash? I seem to remember there was on mine.
    Ah, I'll check. Im quite new to this, so I have a lot to learn and figure out still.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey all. I have a rule about earning the money first before I upgrade, so its taken me this long to save up for CNC upgrade parts. I ordered from optimum before christmas and just go the parts in yesterday. Stepper, pulleys, belts, ballscrews all here. Now I gotta find some instructions on what to do, and figure out what kind of gecko drive I need.

This might take me awhile but I'll get it done one way or another.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the optimum cnc conversion pdf I can send you, it doesn't appear to be available on their site now.
    pm me your email address if you want.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just got a new optimum BF20L and Im pretty lost, but excited!

Hey Hoss, can you send those to me? I also plan to get FDM BF20L in Ukraine, and wonder about budget variant for that mini-mill cnc conversion, how do you think, is it possible to go at first without ballscrew conversion? Also I wonder if I really need those massive NEMA34 1200 oz steppers or I could be fine, maybe with less speed, but with NEMA 23 for 420 oz? Thx.