Build Thread just another 45 build thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: just another 45 build thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: just another 45 build thread

brining this thread back up. I ended up going with grease for the ballscrews, and oil for the ways. This is how our Makino operated at work. If it's good enough for a makino, it's good enoug for my hack job.

So, I tired for the life of me to get my servos tuned. I spent weeks on it, rewired my encloser, regrounded everything. Nothing worked. I ended up selling the servos and buying theautomation techologies closed loop steppers. I know steppers are inferrior, but I'm not oging to lie, I love these things.They are almost plug and play. I was up and running without any noise or dithering within 2 days (had to rewire the enclosure...again). I have a 2:1 drive on the x and y, and 3:1 on the z, and I've got it zipping around at 200 IPM without a problem. Which created a new problem...the factory stand is terrible! So I welded up a new stand, and I'm in the process of mounting it and building an enclosure now. More pictures to come...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I often wondered how sturdy these stands were for the weight of that machine. I guess you answered that question.

www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Downloads
    Uploads

They are plenty sturd, but they are very narrow, and when the table makes rapid direction changes, I was afraid the whole darn thing would tip over. In a manual confuguration I'm sure they would be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Is there any Chance you would have the measurement or the raised (blue section) i pulled my machine apart to do all the measurement's, put it back together to make some parts, and somehow lost that dimension, I'm pretty much doing the same thing. i'd like to have the mount notched to fit but cant remember the width! Brett

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 80gus View Post
    Is there any Chance you would have the measurement or the raised (blue section) i pulled my machine apart to do all the measurement's, put it back together to make some parts, and somehow lost that dimension, I'm pretty much doing the same thing. i'd like to have the mount notched to fit but cant remember the width! Brett
    i can tell you what mine is, but yours may be a bit different. Mine is .168x1.7x4.0

Downloads
    Uploads

wow, hard to believe that i've had this mill for almost 3 years now! This really is a never ending project, but i'm getting closer.
    she's been sitting pretty on her new stand for quite a while, and I'm finally getting around to doing my spindle pulley upgrade and power draw bar:

The motor is a 3hp, 3 phase, cont duty Baldor. I got a hatachi NE-S1 VFD to power it and a spindle control board.Making the pulleys from a single 5.5" dia block. roughed out the block on the mill and finished on the lathe:

Ghetto broaching works great:

Almost done with both:

Downloads
    Uploads

Which brings me to now...I've replaced the spindle bearing with the standard 7207 and 7206 bearings that pretty much everyone else uses as well. So I'm checking preload of my bearings on my lathe before throwing it all together and I'm having an issue with the top bearing eating the grease. I've tried different kinds of different viscosity but after a minuit or so it all just passes right thru it. and i can hear the bearing starting to rub. So i'm curious as to how everyone else keeps grease in the upper bearing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Which brings me to now...I've replaced the spindle bearing with the standard 7207 and 7206 bearings that pretty much everyone else uses as well. So I'm checking preload of my bearings on my lathe before throwing it all together and I'm having an issue with the top bearing eating the grease. I've tried different kinds of different viscosity but after a minuit or so it all just passes right thru it. and i can hear the bearing starting to rub. So i'm curious as to how everyone else keeps grease in the upper bearing?

Is the piece of metal in the tool holder inserted into the groove to keep the spindle body from rotating?

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes sir.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234