New Machine Build Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

I will use this thread to document the progress of my Grizzly G0602 CNC conversion. I picked up the lathe a couple of years ago from the Grizzly tent sale in Washington for $500.

Here are the main components of the conversion which I will be using:

1. A cnc kit provided by Billy from bdtools on Ebay.

2. I purchased the motors, drivers and boards from Automation Technology (Kelling).

Qty 2 KL-5056D Digital Bipolar Stepper motor driver

Qty 2 NEMA23 570 oz/in 5A 3/8 shaft dual shaft stepper motors

Qty 3 C34KL Motor Driver to RJ45 Breakout board

Qty 1 C35 Quick Setup Breakout board

3. I have an existing C6 variable speed control board and C3 Index pulse card.

4. I have an existing 5V 2A power supply and 12V 2A power supply. I will need a 48V 10A power supply to drive the steppers.

5. I have a WEG 1hp 1750 RPM 3 phase motor that will be driven by a TECO 2 HP VFD.

Here is an existing photo before the conversion.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-561-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some photos Billy sent me of the kit. My kit shipped a day or two ago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-578-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-568-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-569-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-570-jpg  

Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-572-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-576-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a couple of photos of the components I will be using.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-562-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-564-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Moved the lathe to the bench today. I forget how heavy the lathe is. I just cant seem to pick it up with two people. Used an engine hoist and some straps to move it. Now I will have good front and rear access for wiring.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-568-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm excited to follow this build! Take lots of pics.

Also, nice score on the lathe purchase at the tent sale.

Downloads
    Uploads

lol, love your "haas" lathe conversion!

following intently!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love the green couch right in the middle of the shop, this is like the perfect living room.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    lol, love your "haas" lathe conversion!

following intently!
    Its been on there so long I forgot about that label!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by punisher454 View Post
    Love the green couch right in the middle of the shop, this is like the perfect living room.
    I like to have sofa's to do CAD CAM stuff from, actually there are two of them. I think they are both sleepers. Compressed air does wonders to blow the chips off em. It sucks to have to go into the house just to make a few gcode changes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-338-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that a Novakon mill in the back of the photo?

If so, how do you like it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post

I have a Novakon Torus Pro/Servo on its way, that I hope will be arriving next week....

25"X x 15"Y x 12"Z travels, 500 IPM with AC servos, 6000 RPM Spindle. It will get a full enclosure, PDB and 12-tool ATC very soon after it arrives.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jealous...

Downloads
    Uploads

My WEG 3 phase motor is bolting on without too much difficulty. I had to do a little machining to make it work. I already had this WEG so I thought I would save some money and use it instead of buying something new. There is quite a bit of info on the web about upgrading the G0602 using a 1 HP D80 3 Phase motor that should bolt right up without much work at all. I kept the ability to use the 'back gear' necessary for heavy automated drilling if the need ever arises. I doubt I will really need the low gearing for turning facing operations, if I really needed that much power it would probably rip this thing apart! We will see though.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-339-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-340-jpg  
    Last edited by Turbo442; 03-02-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post

Is a NM145 about 1 1/2 years old, I really like it, I think I paid around $4000 new for it. Variable speed spindle cranks up to 6000 RPM, flood coolant, quite rigid setup. I need to build an enclosure though LOL! The ball screws on it are pretty nice as well, I measured the back lash a while ago I think it was around .0004. Really easy to work on as well if needed. The PC, power supplies, and drivers are all in the rear cabinet. I would do it over again in a heart beat.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I have a Novakon Torus Pro/Servo on its way, that I hope will be arriving next week....

25"X x 15"Y x 12"Z travels, 500 IPM with AC servos, 6000 RPM Spindle. It will get a full enclosure, PDB and 12-tool ATC very soon after it arrives.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Yeah that should be awesome, I think you will be quite happy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Stripped the parts off the lathe today, only took a few minutes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-002-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-003-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Couple of thoughts on this conversion:

1. My main goal of this project is usability, reliability and aesthetics. Its not much use to me if I can't use it when I need it.

2. I don't plan on keeping the compound. I plan on using my phase II AXA tool post so I will machine a steel spacer block to raise up the tool post. I may set it up so I can run two AXA tool posts, or at least a drill chuck for automated drilling. Ditching the compound will give me a bit more rigidity as well.

3. Still trying to plan out the electronics. I know I want proper Estop functionality tied into the VFD and Mach. I obviously want automated control over the spindle but I want to be able to switch to manual control as well for checking part run out and vibration. This control will be most likely located in the original switch control location.

4. Trying to figure out if I need a separate electronics cabinet or if I can work with the space provided.

5. Will go with Mach parallel control for now, might switch to a Ethernet smooth stepper later.

6. Will use the charge pump feature on the BOB.

If anyone has any cool ideas please chime in. Now is the time!

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-01-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

In my opinion the G0602 saddle as it comes from the factory needs to be checked out carefully if you want good results. In my case, as delivered I could grab the saddle and lift it up and down about .003" in the back" After some careful fitting of the gibs using sandpaper and a stone I was able to eliminate this slop. Also the correct type of oil and proper lubrication are critical to this tolerance. I noticed the lead screw banding went away after I made this change. Here is an example of G0602 lead screw banding (I found this photo on the web) when using the power feed. In the second photo you can see the NON ADJUSTABLE saddle gibbs. On my 12x36 lathe these are adjustable. Not sure if I am using the proper terminology. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-dsc_5043-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-341-jpg  
    Last edited by Turbo442; 03-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet! I was thinking about the new Torus jr w servo spindle at $6500 it's seems good for the $

Downloads
    Uploads

Motor is now mounted solid, belts look good. I wired up the motor and VFD temporarily to check functionality and vibration levels at high RPM. Everything is running smooth. I made sure I oiled the spindle bearings first. I oiled them from the inside with synthetic mobil 1 gear and bearing oil. For those not familiar with VFD operation, you can dial the frequency way up. Its pretty scary actually. Gives new meaning to a full enclosure. I also ran it up to 3000 RPM with the 3 jaw chuck installed although not in this video. It seemed balanced very well and did not show any unusual vibration. Nothing seemed to get get hot. Looks like this thing will be able to rev up!

G0602 high RPM spindle test - YouTube

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast