New Machine Build Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion - Page 7

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

That is one serious chunk of possibilities you have on the table there!

WOT DESIGNS

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    That is one serious chunk of possibilities you have on the table there!

WOT DESIGNS
    Just think... The only thing stopping me from becoming the next millionaire with that $136 chunk of aluminum is some silly little g-code.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately for now I am making some one else's idea. About $450 per part x 2 parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice first picture of this thread, anyone else notice the easter egg? (i haven't read it all yet)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haha now that you mention it, lights shining right at it

Sent from tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Trying to get motivated here. Shop is cleaned up at the moment.

I work in the semiconductor industry. We are doing some equipment upgrades and this stuff was going in the dumpster. I am going to use this power supply case as the electronics cabinet. Power supply is 100-240V single phase input, 48V DC 25 Amp output. Should be perfect for the lathe. Even has 4 DB9 cutouts, 2 for the steppers, one for the index pulse and one for limit switches. The cabinet has sliders built in. I will probably mount it under the table and will slide out for maintenance. The side you see in the photo (With DB9 and power connector) will face to the rear of the lathe. I will mount an EMO button and power switch on the front.

Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone that was wondering, here are the finished parts as they shipped to the customer. The cylinders are 8"x6" 6061. Charged the customer $785.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo442 View Post
    Thanks Hoss and Kenny, I appreciate the feedback.

Since we are off the original topic of the CNC lathe conversion...

Well, struggled along this weekend with my job... The Hard drive started dying in the Novakon. (I supplied the PC by the way). I started seeing delayed hard drive write errors. You know you don't have much time left with Mach when you see that error pop up! I had the PC blue screen at one point but the charge pump did its job and immediately shut down the steppers and the spindle. I wanted to rebuild the PC anyway since it had XP on it. I find Mach runs quite stable on Win7 32. Of course my 32bit version of Win7 license got used up. Long story short, she is back up and running with Win7 32 Ultimate SP1, Mach 3 fully configured for the Novakon all on a 64 gig solid state hard drive. Now when I hit the power button, the machine is completely ready to go in under 30 seconds. Back to machining.

This is 8" dia x 6" tall chunk of 6061. 3/4" EM at 6000 rpm. I am just figuring out the speeds I want to run here.

Downloads
    Uploads

My electronics cabinet is slowly coming along. It is going to have 220V single phase power input on the back side of the unit. The back side will also have 4 110V outputs. 1 on a relay for the coolant pump, 1 for a 110v light, 1 for a PC and 1 for a monitor. There will also be a 220V single phase out on the back side of the panel to power the VFD/motor on the lathe.

I ripped this out of a power distribution box I had laying around. All ready pre-wired with a 10 amp breaker.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am machining custom front and rear panels for this electronics enclosure. Its a little tight in there so I have to utilize the space I have available. Luckily both of these panels are removable with screws. Here is the drawing of the rear panel that was laid out using connectors and boards.

Last edited by Turbo442; 08-24-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo442 View Post
    My electronics cabinet is slowly coming along. It is going to have 220V single phase power input on the back side of the unit. The back side will also have 4 110V outputs. 1 on a relay for the coolant pump, 1 for a 110v light, 1 for a PC and 1 for a monitor. There will also be a 220V single phase out on the back side of the panel to power the VFD/motor on the lathe.

I ripped this out of a power distribution box I had laying around. All ready pre-wired with a 10 amp breaker.
    How are you getting 110v from the 220v? Are you running 4 wire 220 so you have the neutral?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    How are you getting 110v from the 220v? Are you running 4 wire 220 so you have the neutral?
    Yep, 4 wire to get the 110V. I hate tripping over a bunch of power cables, I plan on having a 220V drop from the ceiling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video for those that are interested in seeing what the rear panel looks like in Mastercam.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are those vacuum flanges?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Are those vacuum flanges?
    Yes they are. Off the shelf Swagelok parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    110/120 is available in a 3 wire system too. A 220 circuit is just 2 110 breakers combined.

Downloads
    Uploads

But you need four wires to get 110v from 220v. Two hots, one neutral, and one ground. I plan on doing the same for my mill, but probably not my lathe as the control box will also be using for a mini-mill that will likely not have access for 220...... maybe.

Downloads
    Uploads

3 wire systems still have the 2 hot and 1 neutral with no ground. Works fine.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    3 wire systems still have the 2 hot and 1 neutral with no ground. Works fine.
    It works fine, but it's NOT as safe without the ground wire.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Though correct that it is not safer, 220v systems were run this way for a long time. Only til the latest of codes was a 4 wire required.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Though correct that it is not safer, 220v systems were run this way for a long time. Only til the latest of codes was a 4 wire required.
    And cars worked just fine long before seat belts, but I sure wouldn't want to back to those days. A whole lotta people died needlessly.... In this day and age, I think running AC-powered equipment without proper grounding is irresponsible at best, just plain stupid at worst - You're risking your life to save a few feet of wire??

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast