New guy..with a used mill has a question. - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy..with a used mill has a question.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did..from a really nice guy in Utah. Not sure where he got it.

I needed something already converted as I don't have the skill set yet to do a conversion myself or access to the tooling required. The only thing I can handle readily is the PC and software side of it. I'm a former master carpenter turned Network Engineer.

I'm getting into this due to the fact that parts for my 20 year old race bike are becoming more difficult to get a hold of and I usually have to go across the pond for things.

I've got some mechanical skills just not on the level of a machinist but I like to learn and this gives me a good reason to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a very nice looking race bike! Don't give me anything that clean, I wreck too much... What racing org are you in?

Also, nice score on the BF20, I'm looking to make some bike parts with my G0704 once I finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    That's a very nice looking race bike! Don't give me anything that clean, I wreck too much... What racing org are you in?

Also, nice score on the BF20, I'm looking to make some bike parts with my G0704 once I finish.
    WERA...mostly Southeastern race tracks.

It's been wrecked before...it's a race bike first before anything else. As you know there's every chance it comes home in several large and lots of tiny pieces every time it hits the track.

Last edited by Kenny Duval; 03-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I built and used to race Hawks.... Back in the day.....

Sweet ride.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Love Hawks....

Who did you run with CCS...WERA....MRA?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    WERA...mostly Southeastern race tracks.

It's been wrecked before...it's a race bike first before anything else. As you know there's every chance it comes home in several large and lots of tiny pieces every time it hits the track.
    Okay, I'm just getting started in CMRA. I can't afford to travel for WERA. Almost all of CMRA is in Texas, within 4 hours of where I live. I know all too well how easy it is to unintentionally disassemble a bike...

Okay, sorry for the threadjack, back to CNC...

Downloads
    Uploads

I ran North East CCS, Loudon and Bridgehampton at the time... That pic is from Loudon...

Downloads
    Uploads

Well...I got to spend pretty much all day today with the mill trying to figure this all out. 2 things were pretty apparent.

1. I have a long way to go and machining is not a fast process.

2. Those that claim an old P4 machine is good enough seem to be wrong. The 3.0 Ghz P4 machine that was running the mill did it horribly compared to the Dual 2.4Ghz Quad Core Xeon machine that's running it now. Before it would stall trying to push 120 ip/m now with the new machine 280 ip/m rapids are no sweat. It's faster than I care to run it at the moment. Oddly enough it just sounds better when the stepper are running.

I almost got a complete part made before I screwed it up. I did however produce one in wood that is a perfect duplicate of the original part. So a couple small steps forward and a lot of banging my head on the table today but I learned a lot and am headed out to pick up some stock tomorrow and try again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nevermind...

It was hung on a bur. I've actually got about .020 of play between the bearings. I'm not used to working down to this level of detail but I will get this thing to cut the way I want.

Last edited by Kenny Duval; 06-18-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kenny, raw speed of the computer is one factor, but latency and jitter are very important. They vary a lot between different motherboards (I'm not sure why)

I'm using cheap Atom D525 boards because they have very little latency & jitter. Linuxcnc has a utility to test this.

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Downloads
    Uploads

I raced in the CMRA 99-2001. I even beat Ben Spies a time or 2. Only due to the same start of different classes. Not my fault he brought a knife to a gun fight. He had his chance! ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I raced in the CMRA 99-2001. I even beat Ben Spies a time or 2. Only due to the same start of different classes. Not my fault he brought a knife to a gun fight. He had his chance! ;-)
    A racer has to do what he has to do. Gerloff and Lewis and a number of those kids used to finish behind me as well. They get faster...I get older and slower. I've got some good onboard footage of a young Garrett Gerloff sliding across the ground in front of my bike trying to use me for a brake marker. I still give him crap about that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast