Need Help! Setting up home shop on a budget. CNC & Manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up home shop on a budget. CNC & Manual

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setting up home shop on a budget. CNC & Manual

Hopefully i can get some advice on my setup and maybe help someone else in the same boat as me.

i have recently moved from NC to TX and let me tell you the move is like night and day. I went from living in the country with lots of room to the city with a postage stamp yard and a small garage.

Anyways I want to build a small shop for pen and knife making etc, (hobbys) and i want the tools to be kinda quite since the houses are close.

I'll get into my manual tools in a bit right now I want to talk about the CNC stuff i hope to get running

I found at a local Garage sale a pair of "Paxton Patterson CNC Machines" about 10 years old but well cared for hardly used from the looks of em. They are Sherline retrofits from a company called microkinetic's anyways this weekend i stopped by the same garage sale and they guy gave me a toolchest with a few small lathe tools etc, he said went with the machines i picked up a couple months back. And inside was a MN400 Motion controler he had picked up to try and get them working and also a mn401 breakout board. I took a look at the microkinetics website and it seems they are still selling these parts. But i am wondering how much trouble it would be to get them working or if i should still pick up a couple sets of geckos as suggested by a few on this forum.

manual tools (so far)

7 x 10 mini lathe
    I picked this up at a local thrift shop it seems to maybe have a blown fuse the light will come on but the motor will not respond note with it said it died while on auto feed any ideas?

hf x1 micro mill
    hf 10 inch 12 speed drill press
    ryobi 9 inch band saw
    hf 16 inch scroll saw
    hf bench grinder

I am quite surprised to be saying this but Harbor freight seems to sell decent tools. as long as you don't buy the cheap cheap models.

hope to go to some secondhand shops and check out tools later today if i find the time.

Similar Threads:
    Take a step back and ask yourself could the problem be with the Operator and NOT the machine? and ask the machine gods for the wisdom to know the difference

Downloads
    Uploads

You will need Millmaster Pro software for the MN400

http://www.microkinetics.com/mmpfw/instruct.htm

Do you have the stepper drivers and steppers that go along with it?

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    You will need Millmaster Pro software for the MN400

http://www.microkinetics.com/mmpfw/instruct.htm

Do you have the stepper drivers and steppers that go along with it?

Jeff...
    Not sure i'd want microkinetics software. Anything stopping me from using other applications or is this just what they offer?

Here are the specs for both units as i know them

Sherline model 4000 and 5400 converted to CNC by microkinetics The lathe has a two axis "Optidriver Plus" the mill has a three axis "Optidriver plus" Both where Mfg in 1998 the steppers are the older "83 oz in"

Also the Driver boards have a "Controller Port RS-232 OR DB50" and a "Robotics Interface DB-9" the motion controller I was given connects to a machine through a 50 pin scsi ribbon or a breakout that connects again through the scsi

the way i see it my options are a "rs-232/db25 to 50 pin scsi cable"
    "pinned to the machine" or use the breakout board still i have to guess the pinout not that big of a deal just takes time. also need to locate a power supply but thats pretty standard.

Take a step back and ask yourself could the problem be with the Operator and NOT the machine? and ask the machine gods for the wisdom to know the difference

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

CNC_Penmaker,

You can interface the Optidriver Plus drivers to your P.C. with a inexpensive breakout board like a C10 from CNC4PC.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=45

Then you can replace the Microkinetics software with Mach3 to control your machine.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guess my next question would be is which is the best option has anyone here tried the microkinetics software?

What is the problem in using some other software and does it support non microkinetics cad/cam with the mn400 (i mean in making your own postprossors)

alot of questions just stop me when i'm not making any sense

Last edited by CNC_Penmaker; 10-06-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Downloads
    Uploads

CNC_Penmaker,

Microkinetics Millmaster Pro software will only communicate with the MN400

Microkinetics Millmaster Pro software is not compatible with a parallel port.

Mach3 is not compatible with the MN400 unless there is a plugin I am not aware of.

http://www.machsupport.com/plugins.php

For me it would be a easy choice, I favor Mach3 for several reasons.

The number one reason is there are thousands of users here or on the Mach3 forum providing awesome technical support free of charge.

I have not seen a Millmaster Pro software user chime in yet.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool though i would be interested in hearing from some millmaster pro turnmaster pro users in the future since i have this motion controller

Any ideas on why the 7x10 Harbor freight lathe powers up but the motor will not start? nte on it when i picked it up said it was new and stopped while on powerfeed. Maybe a fuse? (want to cnc this too after its running lol) i'm thinking of turning some of my hobbys into a small time money maker pens knives lures if i can get a ok setup

Downloads
    Uploads

CNC_Penmaker,

It may be a fuse, if not get a hold of John Gerling.

He is a expert at repairing speed controllers, I believe he has a $55.00 flat rate for repairing one.

http://www.www.repaircontrol.com/RepairProgram.htm

gerlinglabs@repaircontrol.com

Hope this helps, good luck.

Jeff...

Last edited by jalessi; 10-07-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNC_Penmaker,

It may be a fuse, if not get a hold of John Gerling, he repairs the speed controllers.

I believe he has a $55.00 flat rate for repairing one.

http://www.www.repaircontrol.com/RepairProgram.htm

gerlinglabs@repaircontrol.com

Hope this helps, good luck.

Jeff...

thanks alot you have a wealth of info .

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

CNC_Penmaker,

You are very welcome.

Please post pictures of some of your work once you are up and running.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_Penmaker View Post
    Cool though i would be interested in hearing from some millmaster pro turnmaster pro users in the future since i have this motion controller

Any ideas on why the 7x10 Harbor freight lathe powers up but the motor will not start? note on it when i picked it up said it was new and stopped while on powerfeed. Maybe a fuse? (want to cnc this too after its running lol) i'm thinking of turning some of my hobbys into a small time money maker pens knives lures if i can get a ok setup

Anyone have thoughts on using a surplus touchscreen monitor to control the cnc to keep dust out of the pc since it would replace the keyboard and mouse saw a few local for around $50.00.

Last edited by CNC_Penmaker; 10-07-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNC_Penmaker,

You are very welcome.

Please post pictures of some of your work once you are up and running.

Jeff...
    Count on it and thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I think we can help...

My name is Sean I am a technitian here at BobCAD, we noticed your posting and would like to assist you, unfortunatly were are at the EMO trade show in Italy this week but will be back in the office next week , if you would like give me a call next week 727-489-0003 (bobcad support number) Just ask for Sean, have me paged let the receptionist know that I asked you to give a call.

BobCAD Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sowen View Post
    My name is Sean I am a technitian here at BobCAD, we noticed your posting and would like to assist you, unfortunatly were are at the EMO trade show in Italy this week but will be back in the office next week , if you would like give me a call next week 727-489-0003 (bobcad support number) Just ask for Sean, have me paged let the receptionist know that I asked you to give a call.

BobCAD Support

Interesting i'' consider it

Anyone happen to know the pinout for the db25 port on the optidriver plus boards by chance before i dive into guessing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone have thoughts on using a surplus touchscreen monitor to control the cnc to keep dust out of the pc since it would replace the keyboard and mouse saw a few local for around $50.00.
    Quite a few people used them to good advantage for the reasons you just mention.
    For Mach3, [people have done custom screens to further take advantage of the touch screen.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I picked up my touchscreen today and plan to install it on a swing mount sometime this week will post pictures once its up and running this is getting addicting... Already thinking of a diy 3d scanner!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry for opening this thread again,

but I recently got the same equipment (a mill and a lathe with the optidriver plus cards).

did you ever get those machines with that card to work?

thanks,

Ron

Guess my next question would be is which is the best option has anyone here tried the microkinetics software?

What is the problem in using some other software and does it support non microkinetics cad/cam with the mn400 (i mean in making your own postprossors)

alot of questions just stop me when i'm not making any sense

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Getting Close

Quote Originally Posted by csdude View Post
    sorry for opening this thread again,

but I recently got the same equipment (a mill and a lathe with the optidriver plus cards).

did you ever get those machines with that card to work?

thanks,

Ron

I'm getting close I had to put the project on hold for a few months with the birth of my first child. I've decided to at least try to use the equipment I already have mn400e / optidrive plus. As of last week i found a source for the needed cables and working on the last couple problems. Building a pc to drive the machine and a new pc for doing my CAD work. They will be based off the new amd 6 core processors that came out this week and the ATI 5800 series video card. I was going to go with Gecko Drive but due to funds plans change. I do have both of microkinetics software "Turnmaster Pro and Millmaster Pro" so we will see. Might upgrade drivers and software later once we finish with the tile and carpeting. Until then will have to use what i already have on hand.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You really don't need much of a computer to run the CNC. I'm betting you could use the computer your on right now to run your CAC/CAM programs. I ran masterCAM 9 and Autocad 2006 on a 1.6ghz laptop with 2gb of memory and a crappy Intel graphics card and had no issues. Had to upgrade once I went o MasterCAM X though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm getting close I had to put the project on hold for a few months with the birth of my first child. I've decided to at least try to use the equipment I already have mn400e / optidrive plus. As of last week i found a source for the needed cables and working on the last couple problems. Building a pc to drive the machine and a new pc for doing my CAD work. They will be based off the new amd 6 core processors that came out this week and the ATI 5800 series video card. I was going to go with Gecko Drive but due to funds plans change. I do have both of microkinetics software "Turnmaster Pro and Millmaster Pro" so we will see. Might upgrade drivers and software later once we finish with the tile and carpeting. Until then will have to use what i already have on hand.
    Ah hi,

well in the meantime I did get both the machines to work. You don't really need the mn400e (I was told that one is like +-$750) and than you'd need to buy a software key (since I don't have it) and their software.

I decided I didn't want to buy all of that and looked into it a bit deeper.

The only thing I needed to do was to rewire some things in a parallel cable (I posted that in the yahoo sherline group).
    I have an old laptop (6-7 years) that I partitioned.I installed MSDOS/turboCNC on one partition and ubuntu-cnc on the other.
    (I also have a REALLY old laptop, somewhere mid 90's or so, and that one really is too slow (cpu speed and dma transfers are really slow. Interrupt sharing probably doesn't help either)

On the 7-8 yo laptop the msdos/turbocnc setup works just fine. The ubuntu kernel is whining about the clock accuracy (also ubuntu is not happy with the wireless ethernet card).

Having a 6 core cpu for cad work is probably pretty cool. Some pc to 'drive' the machines and run g-code with can be something really bare bones.
    The MSDOS/Turbocnc is a real old setup, but I actually like it. Just one screen that does what it needs to do.
    Also, since MSDOS is not multitasking nor multiuser it is way simpler and one probably runs into a lot less complications. With ubuntu/linux one never knows what process might get started that screws something up.
    Drawback with turbocnc is that no one is maintaining it and the code is a mess (I have seen the 'kernel' source code)

Although, I am interested in getting the cnc ubuntu setup to work at some point

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast