LMS SX2 value?

Thread: LMS SX2 value?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default LMS SX2 value?

Hi all,

I'm looking at puchasing my first CNC setup. I've got a budget of about $2,000 - $2250 which needs to include the cost of the machine, CNC conversion, software and tooling.

I've priced out the cost of the Harbor Freight X2 at $455 shipped.

I've read enough about the two machines to know that both will require a little setup and that the LMS 3960 (solid column model) is the best in it's class but that sucker costs $964! Over TWICE what the HF X2 costs!

While the LMS machine is within budget, I just can't seem to get my head around paying $509 extra for a larger table, a brushless motor, belt drive and a solid column.....

In summary, I LIKE the LMS machine, I can AFFORD it but I'm not convinced it's WORTH the money?

Downloads
    Uploads

The cost of CNC'ing them is about the same.

Look at the end result VS cost.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made the same evaluations about two years ago--the machines were about $200 less then (the tilting column LMS 3900 was $649, no solid column was available vs $499 for HF or Grizzly). That is a really great price on the HF though. In reality, you will end up putting on a belt drive, and spend time and effort stiffening the column. Depending on what you want to make on the machine, you might also lament the small table size of the HF model. Hoss did wonders with his X2 (make sure you have checked out his X2 conversion), but when you consider the brushless 500W motor and cogged belt drive, and the solid column features, for me it would be a no brainer to get the LMS mill if I had the budget. I'm finishing up the CNC conversion on mine now if you want to check out my thread. I made almost all of the parts for the conversion using the LMS mill and have no regrets paying more for the machine, granted that the delta wasn't as much as you're looking at. What do you plan to do with the mill?

-md

If the machine is going to cost $900+ might as well get the BF20/G0704.

Anyways I have a micromark version of the X2 in the classified section going for the fraction of the cost that is already converted using the CNC fusion kit. Selling it for $850 plus shipping. All you need is the electronics

www.VicRC.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish I would of went bigger on my first mill.
    To start off I would buy the Grizzly G0704 or bigger. You will be happy you did.
    I dont know how much room you have but go as big as you can.
    Like most you start off building small parts here and there. That changes. To have to much mill and not use it is allot better than having to small of a mill and having to buy a new one.
    A nice decent Bridgeport / clone is round 1500 in my neck of the woods. Thats my plan when money permits it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to be making parts for my bike mostly. The largest thing that I aspire to make is probably a set of triple trees which fits inside the LMS machine's travel. Mostly though, I'll be looking at smaller parts like brackets and mounts.

Space IS an issue unfortunately. I have half of a double car garage that I need to share with my bike. A good chunk of my bench is already taken up by the 7x12 mini lathe and the mill will require even more bench realestate, especially after the CNC conversion.

Budget is an issue as well. While the G0704 seems like good value at first consider this:

HF Machine - 455 shipped
    HF Machine CNC - 579
    HF Machine Total - 1034

LMS Machine - 964 shipped
    LMS Machine CNC - 625
    LMS Machine Total - 1589

G0704 Machine - 1294 shipped
    G0704 Machine CNC - 969
    G0704 Machine Total - 2263

The G0704 CNC costs $674 more than the LMS CNC and $1229 more than the HF CNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The G0704 leaves $0 for tools, tooling, controlers, software. The LMS leaves $750 and the HF leaves a massive $1216.

In my experience with the lathe, the machine is just a fraction of the total cost of a productive setup.

Furthermore, I believe that a small machine that is well supported with a variety of high quality tools (which are transferable to a new machine) and tooling will perform better than a larger machine with no tools and low quality tooling.

So for those reasons, I'm ruling out the G0704 for now. Maybe some day if my hobby starts paying for itself I'll acquire a larger machine...

Sorry for the long post, I'm writing all this down partially as a way to think my way through through this decision as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think most triple trees would be a tight fit on any X2. Keep in mind 5" of Y travel does not mean you can easily make a part 5" wide, without a lot of grief. You have to allow some over-travel for entering and exiting cuts, some room for clamping, some room to keep you away from limits so you don't get false limit trips, etc. In the real world, you have to go through some contortions to make a part any larger than at least 1" less than the axis travels. Even that will take a lot of planning in fixturing and generating the G-code.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a reason they are cheaper and you might as well consider any money you spend on an X2 wasted if you can't make the parts you want.

Save up a little more and go with the G0704, you will not regret your decision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    any money you spend on an X2 wasted if you can't make the parts you want.
    Sorry I should have been more clear.

Triple trees are about as bit of an item as I EVER intend on making on my own. So in all likelyhood it will be on a machine 10-15 years down the road in my next house which will have a larger garage

For now I'm content with making smaller components. Clipons would be a pretty cool project for example

With that said, I suppose there is some appeal in having a machine that is MORE capable than what I plan on doing in the short term so that I can hold on to it for in the long run....

Decisions decisions...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I struggled with the decision myself and ultimately decided on the G0704, it comes with a stand and it's overall a more capable machine. I plan on eventually making a some rear sets for my next 250 among other things. I have an '09 Ninja 250R right now but I plan on selling it and picking up one of the new ones with FI because it's a lot easier to maintain.

Good luck and make sure you ask plenty of questions!

Keep the shiny side up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So how much empty space does the G0704 require around it? Money aside, now I'm not even sure if I have a place to put it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also I read on the CNC Fusion website that the G0704 requires modifications to fit the kit.... what exactly do these modifications entail?

I used to have a big drill press too but I got rid of it, that would be a nice place for a G0704. My bigger mill is much more than a drill press

The X2 is great but man the work envelope is so restricting. I actually built a machine in the same size as the G0704, if I had started with the G0704 I would not have had to spend more. $500-700 more for twice the work area, extra power and rigidity over the LMS or X2 is well spent.

www.VicRC.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vcatalasan View Post
    I used to have a big drill press too but I got rid of it, that would be a nice place for a G0704. My bigger mill is much more than a drill press

The X2 is great but man the work envelope is so restricting. I actually built a machine in the same size as the G0704, if I had started with the G0704 I would not have had to spend more. $500-700 more for twice the work area, extra power and rigidity over the LMS or X2 is well spent.
    The drill press footpting would be about the same as the G0704 but the mill needs alot more room around it to move the table... so just how much clear space do I need to run the mill?

Off the top of my head you need about 24" depth and 54" width for the G0704.

Downloads
    Uploads

You think you have no room lol you should see my garage. I have an older small single bay garage. My work bech , cnc , mill , full size lathe , press, tubing bender , 180amp mig w kart desk chair with my hobby 3 stand up scooter and shifter kart.
    I dont park in my garage lol
    Im still going to buy a bridgeport and cram it in there. .
    I once started off when I purchased my mill and said I will only need to make this part. Well life went on parts got bigger hobbys grew but I was to cheap to buy a bigger mill so now Im buying one anyways. And because I was so cheap the first time I have to rebuy allot of tooling also.
    You could always save money for tooling , cnc conversions but in a few years when you need a bigger mill will you really want to do this again.
    The next mill I own will be the last one I need,