Newbie X2 mill replacing the base?

Thread: X2 mill replacing the base?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X2 mill replacing the base?

Hi guys,

I am new into machining. I recently bought a set of used X2 mini mill with CNC (kit from fusionCNC I believe) to start. For what I make the y-travel is very limited (short of 4''). I searched online for the ways to increase the y-travel and accidentally found this mill base: Base - LittleMachineShop.com

I wonder if the dovetails have the same width of the old base and I could just mount my XY table on it. The y-travel would be increased to about 5''.

From the pictures here (Yuriy's Toys: Large Table Assembly for X2 Mini Mill) they do look very close. But a little difference in dovetails may cause the mod to fail....

Could anyone advise me if I could use the base? Thanks a lot!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Wouldn't you be better off asking LMS that question?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Foxrena View Post
    Hi guys,

I am new into machining. I recently bought a set of used X2 mini mill with CNC (kit from fusionCNC I believe) to start. For what I make the y-travel is very limited (short of 4''). I searched online for the ways to increase the y-travel and accidentally found this mill base: Base - LittleMachineShop.com

I wonder if the dovetails have the same width of the old base and I could just mount my XY table on it. The y-travel would be increased to about 5''.

From the pictures here (Yuriy's Toys: Large Table Assembly for X2 Mini Mill) they do look very close. But a little difference in dovetails may cause the mod to fail....

Could anyone advise me if I could use the base? Thanks a lot!

There are other ways to increase the travels as seen here.
    X2 Travel Increases
    IIRC the saddle will fit and you should get more than 5 inches if you use your stock saddle which is narrower than the one for the bigger table.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Last year, I was going to get one of those newer larger base and table that LMS says it is direct swap, but I too had the CNC fusion kit and I would require longer ballscrews that CNC fusion now makes for the larger SX2. This years I decided to enlarge my travel using linear rails and it seems the only thing I am using from my X2 is the head assembly. IMHO the X2 travel is the only limiting factor and a capable machine at a slower mill pace. Also the X2 is a cheap enough platform to start learning CNC.

I think the easiest and cheapest way to increase Y travel is to use a pair of linear rails instead of using the Y gibs. Since the Y ballscrew end of the CNC Fusion is not on a pillow block (hanging), you can use most of its length.

Vic

www.VicRC.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    There are other ways to increase the travels as seen here.
    X2 Travel Increases
    IIRC the saddle will fit and you should get more than 5 inches if you use your stock saddle which is narrower than the one for the bigger table.
    Hoss
    Thanks for the reply, hoss! I have actually studied those mods. If this new base doesn't work I will go with one of the methods.
    Just to be clear, are you saying the new base will work? I am a little confused because you also said the stock saddle is narrower than the new one.

I have also sent inquiries to LMS, hopefully they will reply.

Downloads
    Uploads

I meant the stock saddle and table front to back are narrower the the bigger table that goes with that base
    so if the big table gets 5 inches the stock saddle and table should get 6ish.
    Pretty sure the widths of the dovetails are the same on the 2 bases.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vcatalasan View Post
    Last year, I was going to get one of those newer larger base and table that LMS says it is direct swap, but I too had the CNC fusion kit and I would require longer ballscrews that CNC fusion now makes for the larger SX2. This years I decided to enlarge my travel using linear rails and it seems the only thing I am using from my X2 is the head assembly. IMHO the X2 travel is the only limiting factor and a capable machine at a slower mill pace. Also the X2 is a cheap enough platform to start learning CNC.

I think the easiest and cheapest way to increase Y travel is to use a pair of linear rails instead of using the Y gibs. Since the Y ballscrew end of the CNC Fusion is not on a pillow block (hanging), you can use most of its length.

Vic
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah I will take a close look at my ballscrew. The y-ballscrew on my machine seems to be longer than needed. It almost reaches the back of the base. There is about 2'' unused length, so I assume it would be OK on the new base.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    I meant the stock saddle and table front to back are narrower the the bigger table that goes with that base
    so if the big table gets 5 inches the stock saddle and table should get 6ish.
    Pretty sure the widths of the dovetails are the same on the 2 bases.
    Hoss
    Oh, now I know what you mean! Thanks for your confirmation.

I just got reply from Chris of LMS and he also confirms it will work.
    Thank you guys for helping!

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I will take a close look at my ballscrew. The y-ballscrew on my machine seems to be longer than needed. It almost reaches the back of the base. There is about 2'' unused length, so I assume it would be OK on the new base.

I would consider using rails, its cheaper than a new table and probably $300 with shipping. Plus I am not too fond of the gibs that I have to constantly monitor. You can pick up rails cheap on ebay and use everything that you already have. I got a set for less than $100, but it had 20" so I decided to just make a new table from scratch. I am not expecting 10" by 20" travel. Which is great for my hobby stuff, really depends on what size your trying to mill.

www.VicRC.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure thing, I should get around to adding this option to the site too.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would consider using rails, its cheaper than a new table and probably $300 with shipping. Plus I am not too fond of the gibs that I have to constantly monitor. You can pick up rails cheap on ebay and use everything that you already have. I got a set for less than $100, but it had 20" so I decided to just make a new table from scratch. I am not expecting 10" by 20" travel. Which is great for my hobby stuff, really depends on what size your trying to mill.
    I will research it a bit. Could you please give a link? I am fairly new to machining and don't know what you are referring to.

Actually I am not going to buy the whole table assembly form LMS. Just the base (Base - LittleMachineShop.com), for 65$ plus shipping.

Hi Hoss, BTW thanks again for all your help with my getting started in CNC, maybe you can add this option as well.

Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link

Vic

edit... Well dang nabit... you'll have to click on page 8 to see the rail mods on an X2....

www.VicRC.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up getting 5" y travel on the stock X2. The trick as to find a way to utilize the extra screw length towards the back of the mill.
    What I did was flip the Y nut around so that it was facing the front of the mill. I machined a spacer that went between the Y stepper mount and the base to move the stepper and screw forward as well. Next, using a hole saw, cut a a larger hole in the front of the base for the Y nut to extend into. The hole saw cut real easily into the cast iron. I machined a wood plug to fit into the existing hole with a pilot hole in the middle. I replaced the drill in the center of the hole saw with a length of rod that ran into the pilot hole. With a 1" hole, I had to machine a shallow slot on the bottom of the hole for the return tube to clear if I recall.

I will research it a bit. Could you please give a link? I am fairly new to machining and don't know what you are referring to.

Actually I am not going to buy the whole table assembly form LMS. Just the base (Base - LittleMachineShop.com), for 65$ plus shipping.
    Did not see that! No work to be done there!

www.VicRC.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hoss, BTW thanks again for all your help with my getting started in CNC, maybe you can add this option as well.

Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link

Vic

edit... Well dang nabit... you'll have to click on page 8 to see the rail mods on an X2....
    Glad to help. Yeah I've seen it. I'll keep watch on this thread and make some additions later.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have received the base and it does work as expected. Quite satisfied with the size. Now the problem is that my ballscrew is 2'' short and I am not getting more Y travel unless I get a new ballscrew.

I have emailed CNCfusion but got no reply ....

Could anyone shed some light on how I can replace the ballscrew? I don't have a lathe to cut and thread the ballscrew. The ballscrew is Thompson 5/8'' with 0.2'' pitch. Where can I buy it?