I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Mill CNC Conversion

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Mill CNC Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Mill CNC Conversion

Hey Guys!

Feel free to tell me to get out if I am posting this in the wrong place. HAHA

So I am about to get into milling, I am a performance car mechanic and know that a mill will very much aid in things I am doing. I have be looking at this mill after researching for a week or so and seems to be pretty sweet. It is a MicroLux Micro Milling Machine.

MicroLux Micro Milling Machine
    Now tell me what you guys think of this. To me it looks cool and I like the tilt I think that will come in handy! I want somthing small like this and very close to this price range.

Now im looking to do a CNC conversion but I really need help on knowing what im doing, as the extent of my CNC knowledge is XYZ LOL. Now Im looking for learning on this as I am a very quick learner and will read a million books to understand it all. However I learn much quicker hands on, I figure some help with a set-up to get me started will be my way to go.

I want a very user friendly software... If that exists? I really just want a way to have a handheld controller. Somthing on the lines of

Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Emergency Stop Controller for Siemens Fagor | eBay

Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Emergency Stop Controller for Siemens Fagor | eBay

Now I'm sure the one on the bottom is way easier to use but would the one above be better in the long run? I want to be able to mill things still by hand. and Like the hand wheel rather than buttons for sure on the controller.

As for the conversion

CNC 3rd Generation Revolutionary Standard 3Axis TB6560 Stepper Driver Full Kit | eBay
    Really like the fact of the LCD screen... Hate the remote, And is the OZ rating on the motors likt a TQ power rating and for this micro mill what should i be looking for?

4 Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 270oz in 6WIRE 4 Axis Board CNC Kit | eBay

3Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 287oz in Driver DM542A CNC Kit Free Shipping | eBay
    Okay so this one deff looks better but I cant see if it comes with software. Can I use one of those pendants with this?
    I really want a LCD display of Coordinates/Measurements. (Useable with this?)
    And finally is all I need for a conversion in these kits? other than motor mounts and shaft couplings?

Thanks guys Sorry If this is sad but I really dont know what im doing and relly need some help lol

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you plan on doing with this mill? You say you build race cars, well most car components you would need a mill to make or modify are about the size and weight of that thing... I would look for something along the lines of a g0704 or x3. also, it sounds like you intend to use the cnc to just jog the axes around, in which case it would basically be a manual mill for someone who is really lazy. It would have basically none of the benefits of CNC.

Soooo....what do you actually want to do with it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Also be very careful before buying anything that looks/smells like a TB6560, the inexpensive Chinese stepper driver.

Do a search and wander through the bazillion threads on all the problems with the things. I think they may have been improved since they 1st came out a few years ago but do your research 1st. Most folks either threw them away and got real drivers (Geckos and others) or were electronics genuises and totally rebuilt them to get them to work.

There's tons of info on the web about Mini-Mill CNC conversions so look around....a lot....before plonking down yer hard-earned cash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK so I don't just want a lazy electric scroll. I want to use the cnc as a cnc..... but as well for easy brackets I want to make it probably easier to do manually so I would like that option. Do those eBay conversion kits come with a cnc program? And how easy is it to self teach with a program?
    Are the nema 23 stepper motors any good? Would you have any suggestions on the oz rating? And do you know of a better route in motor selection (I like the small profile of the ones I posted)

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like a clone of a (USA-made) Sherline mill, probably made in China. Why not just get a real Sherline? They have a straight-forward path to CNC: motor mounts, couplers, motors, controller, software etc. and it all works together (plus you get support in English). Whether all of that would be compatible with this thing is questionable. You're well-advised to stay away from those Chinese drivers. And I'd say wait on the pendant until you've got everything else up and running, by which time you'll have a better handle on your requirements.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome Aboard,
    Hope you will find some of the following useful.
    The first job you need to tackle is to READ, a lot. Be patient.
    There is so much to learn and it's going to take some time to absorb it all.
    It takes years, literally, to become a good machinist. Don't get frustrated
    if something seems difficult, it'll come to you eventually. Hobby CNC requires
    you to become familiar with machining, designing, electrical, programming and
    computer skills to name a few. Oh, and get ready to spend a lot of money too.
    You don't have to spend it all upfront to get started, you'll have years to add
    to your shop. You can though, make your money back and then some if you make
    something with your mill that customers want.

New to Machining in General?

Don't know what chip load or climb milling are? You'll need to start with the basics.
    Take a class at your local VoTech or Community College if you can, the experience will be invaluable. Nothing like learning by doing.
    If classes aren't possible, start by watching all ten MIT Machine Shop videos. They will give you a great overview of many of the machines
    used in a typical shop and how to safely use them.
    MIT TechTV – Machine Shop 1
    Little Machine Shop has a great selection of books and videos to help as well.
    Basic Machining Reference Handbook
    Basic Machining Reference Handbook - LittleMachineShop.com
    Machine Shop Basics
    Machine Shop Basics - LittleMachineShop.com
    Machine Shop Essentials: Questions & Answers
    Machine Shop Essentials: Questions & Answers - LittleMachineShop.com
    You can also rent DVD's from Smartflix.com that cover milling, turning CNC and other subjects.
    SmartFlix, the Web's Biggest How-To DVD Rental Store

New to CNC?

CNC is cool but it's not magic. YOU have to know how to machine a part before you can tell the software how to do it.
    Refer to Bob Warfields CNC Dictionary to get a leg up before attempting to jump into CNC.
    CNC Cookbook: Dictionary
    Learn what G-Code is and what each code does. CAM software (Computer Aided Manufacturing) will make life easier but
    you still must learn the codes so that you can edit or write your programs.
    The CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition by Peter Smid is a great comprehensive guide.
    "http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235881817&sr=1-1"]CNC Programming Handbook,Third Edition: Peter Smid: 9780831133474: Amazon.com: Books
    CNCInformation.com has an e-course you can sign up for free to learn the basics of CNC.
    Learn CNC, gcode, G-Code, G code Files in our E-mail Course
    As mentioned, CAM software is very beneficial, almost mandatory for some parts.
    CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) is used to design your part and usually outputs a full scale dxf file that most CAM programs can use to
    generate a toolpath (g-code) to machine your part. Some software is packaged as CAD/CAM and can do it all at once.
    There are MANY to choose from that range from FREE to tens of thousands of dollars.
    Hobbyist don't need the capabilities of the high end programs. I have links to several programs that I've tried that are either free or
    very reasonable at less than $1000, some very fine programs are only a few hundred.
    I'd suggest you download and try them all, most are free to Try before you Buy.
    It's important to pick a program that makes sense to YOU and not force yourself into using something that others find appealing.
    Install the program and run though a couple of the tutorials that are either included with the software or available for download from their site.
    Links
    Once you find something you like, you can get help, tips or samples from forums on Yahoo.com or CNCZone.com
    CAD software forum
    CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! - Powered by vBulletin
    CAM software forum
    CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! - Powered by vBulletin

Looking For Your First Machine?

Don't rush out and buy a machine that's "On Sale", chances are you'll regret it later.
    You need to have a handle on what type and size of parts that you're likely to make to make
    an "informed" decision. The hobby will quickly turn sour if your machine cant "cut it".
    Pay heed to those that have "been there, done that". There's nothing useful to be gained by
    repeating someone else's mistakes. If you have an initial budget limit to jump into the hobby,
    spend as much as you can on the machine. You will spend the rest of your life buying tooling,
    so don't scrimp on the machine to get extra tools to start. A vise, clamping kit, a pair of calipers
    and a small selection of cutting tools is all you need to start. Some companies include these with the machine anyway.
    When the time comes to add more tooling, don't scrimp here either. A well made tool will last for years and years.
    Measuring equipment is one place where you should spend more of your cash.
    Your parts will only be as good as the tools you use to measure them.
    High quality manufacturers such as Starrett, Brown and Sharpe or Mitutoyo won't let you down.
    Starrett Precision Measuring Tools and Saw Blades Since 1880
    Home - Brown & Sharpe
    Mitutoyo America Corporation
    I told you this hobby is not cheap.
    Reading thorough reviews will also give a great incite into the machine of interest.
    If you see these machines in person you'll realize how small some of them are.
    This comparison could help.
    http://www.g0704.com/mill_comparison.html
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow see thanks! That looks like a much better machine! Sherline 5400-CNC... that's freaking sweet! .....

Okay so on that model could I use it manually just as easy right? Just until I get a hand of the program and all. And I have been reading and practicing technical drawing books so I know measurements fairly well. Can I choose the program this comes with?

Downloads
    Uploads

Buy the CNC Taig mill on eBay for 1700$ or whatever they are now. You will be farther ahead....

I bought a Taig cnc ready mill from Taig, then sourced my own parts for about the same price, so its a decent deal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan20det View Post
    Wow see thanks! That looks like a much better machine! Sherline 5400-CNC... that's freaking sweet! .....

Okay so on that model could I use it manually just as easy right? Just until I get a hand of the program and all. And I have been reading and practicing technical drawing books so I know measurements fairly well. Can I choose the program this comes with?
    When I built my first CNC I was really worried about being able to use it manually so to speak... that went out the window in the first few days.

One sweet spot of CNC is that for even simple parts once you program the part there is no need to deal with cranking handles. that said you can still jog the machine with the key board so you don't need to spend the money on a hand held controller right off the bat.

Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haha k there's a problem though. I just went from 450 to 1000 ...I really can't do 1700 for just a machine... that 5400 is $1008 so for 1700 I would have some clamps measuring tools and some bits.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan20det View Post
    Haha k there's a problem though. I just went from 450 to 1000 ...I really can't do 1700 for just a machine... that 5400 is $1008 so for 1700 I would have some clamps measuring tools and some bits.
    take a look at this mill on ebay
    5400 Sherline Spectralight CNC Milling Machine with TB6560 Controller | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of parts are you looking to make?

Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im looking to make L brackets, Fuel Rails, Caps, Covers, Badges..... Any thing that would be cool in aluminum or stainless in your car lol.

I'll be doing alot of small parts boring and plaining, as well as making aluminum R/C car and plane parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you'll get bored and tired of the limitations on such a tiny machine. I know I did, with similar goals as you (formula car driver/owner). Even small parts, when made out of steel, are a pain to machine in a small machine.

I'd recommend reading a bit more, maybe waiting 6 months and putting some more money aside.. Hobby CNC will drain money out of your bank account much faster than you think I have yet to see anyone make a post here saying "yeah, I had a budget of X and spent exactly that!".

Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haha ya I know I'll be over budget... but what kind of limitations? I don't like the sound of that but I really think I won't make things bigger than 8x5x6.. I think .... I want a cnc setup out of the box I decided with computer, stepper mounts motors... the works. As well as a starter tool kit like this

Is there a package deal like this with a bigger model that's not over 2000$ I don't like Taig. Do any of you know of a pack like this? 2000$ Max! Lol

You own a formula car, What kind? I use to work on formula bmw out in aisa with atlantic racing team from Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The travel is fine.. It's how fast you can get things done I ended up buying a bigger, used RF-40. On my Sieg X2 (slightly bigger and heavier than the sherline), I was taking 0.010" cuts in steel.. Let's say you're making a 0.5" shoulder on a piece of steel, that's 50 passes..!

With the RF-40, I can do it in 3 or 4 passes..

Granted, you need to be pretty lucky to get a CNCed RF-40/45 with $2000 to spend. I got my RF-40 for $400, and I've probably spent over $1000 on CNC stuff so far. If I lucked out on another $400 milling machine, I could convert it for under $2000, but those don't come very often.

Anyway, it's possible you'll be just fine with a small micro machine, but read up on it and make sure you're aware of what it can and cannot do, or how fast, etc. As cheap as they are compared to bigger benchtop or full size machines, they're still a very expensive paper weight if it turns out it can't live up to what you expected

I race a formula vee, small open wheel car with some old beetle parts and tube frame chassis. Not quite the same league as the FBMW cars

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't like Taig he says.....

Get a A2Z monster Sherline then... Or a SX2.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I sure like your ability to jump in with the printer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The travel is fine.. It's how fast you can get things done I ended up buying a bigger, used RF-40. On my Sieg X2 (slightly bigger and heavier than the sherline), I was taking 0.010" cuts in steel.. Let's say you're making a 0.5" shoulder on a piece of steel, that's 50 passes..!
    Remember I'm completely new here... I'm not sure what you saying .... your cutting at 0.010" depth right? but I don't know what you mean by 1/2" shoulder?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

By 1/2" shoulder I meant a 1/2" cut in something.. Say you have a 1" thick steel piece and you need one end to step down to 1/2"..

On a bigger (and by bigger, the only thing that really makes a difference is how rigid the machine is!) milling machine, you can take a deep cut without trouble. Cutting 0.200" at a time isn't a big deal.. So you might take three 0.160" cuts (which adds up to 0.480") and then a 20 thou finishing pass.

On the smaller machines, there isn't enough rigidity to keep the tool from chattering. Instead of 4 passes, you'll need lots of very small cuts. These are all terms and ideas you'll run into soon when you start doing a bit more research

Please please please don't get discouraged by what I'm saying. The smaller machines might be just fine for what you need, lots of people use them and make really cool parts! I just want you to spend a bit more time reading up on what these things can do so you know exactly what you're getting into

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast