Newbie LMS 3960 HiTorque Mini Mill

Thread: LMS 3960 HiTorque Mini Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default LMS 3960 HiTorque Mini Mill

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a mini mill. It will be my first. I've never run a mill or CNC before, so I'm looking for a modest setup to get started with. I do have a strong background in computers/software, electronics, and tinkering in the garage.

I started out looking at the Harbor Freight X2, but I am now leaning toward the LittleMachineShop 3960 HiTorque Mini Mill w/ Solid Column. I guess this is considered a SX2. I would like to convert it to a CNC via the CNCFusion mini-mill kit # 5.

I've been reading this forum and realize most would recommend bumping up to a X3. Since I live in an apartment I really want to stay away from the larger/heavier machines. I would like to keep total cost with CNC conversion and tooling around $2000. Machine noise is a concern for me as well.

I will primarily be machining plastics like ABS or delrin, but may occasional want to machine some aluminum as well. The parts I'm making are relatively small so I'm not too concerned there.

So I am curious if this a decent beginner machine? Does anyone have any experience with it? Also, I'm not clear if this machine already has the belt drive conversion (to reduce noise)? Do these machines require a lot of repairs or are they pretty solid?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Chris

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I Recommend It

Chris,

I would recommend the LMS3900. I do not have the solid column but if I were buying one today would get the solid column version.

They come with a belt drive and I've had no maintenance issues with mine. I did a (approx $40) upgrade on the pulleys to increase the spindle speed and added Igaging didgial readouts on all three axis (I highly recommend this).

Mostly do aluminum and have done some steel on this machine as well.

GG67

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks for the feedback

GG67, thank you for the feedback. This LMS mill seems to be what I'm looking for so I'm planning to go ahead with my purchase.

Do you know if there's a way to get a discounted price on these? I've seen some people discussing getting 20% of the Harbor Freight mills, would any of those discounts apply here? Or is there a way to reduce the $135 shipping cost?

Also, where are people getting their raw materials from? I'd like to take a look and get a better idea of the cost of materials.

Thanks again!
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

These are my 3 fav stock suppliers.
    Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply
    Buy Metals and Plastics at Online Metal Supply
    Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com
    but you can find lots on Ebay and check for a local supplier.
    It could be worth a little drive to these places that sell a lot of cutoffs, you can buy by the pound.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chris,

The shipping cost was something I wrestled with also but I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the 3900. The bigger work envelope, variable speed belt drive and info from this site helped me decide. I'm not aware of any current discounts.

I get metal from discountsteel.com, they do some good monthly promotions, have a good selection and service. I will use Amazon (yes Amazon sells metal) and McMaster on occasion.

GG67