Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, Ryan, thanks for sharing-

Dave

Dave->..

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

The router build looks like another fantastic creation from you and reading your analysis of the KFlop stuff earlier.....well....alas that stuff went straight over my little mind...but again I must say WOW this cnc'd mill build is one freaking excellent build...I'm going to follow you and others and lap my ways....and again Ryan thanks for the explanations and pics..

This build is definitely one of the best builds I've seen well done...and keep the pics flowing for those of us (ME) who find it easier to learn from photos rather than learning from reading ye''re progress. ..

Eoin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm liking the machine more and more. I never realized just how much I was missing with the old round-column mill.

I've started taping a piece of paper to the front of the head to block chips:

I really like having two vices on the table. I guess for this kind of work you kind of need two.

Up close there is evidence of vibration in my surface finish (and frankly its pretty easy to feel vibration just by touching the mill head).

The vibration is present with the empty spindle so it is probably coming from the spindle itself. When I get around to removing the 5th axis and replacing it with a spacer it should clean that up a bit, but I think a machine in this price/weight range is going to be limited.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Been working on this all day every day.

I had no 21mm retaining rings so I press fit the linear bearings.

The plan...

I will have to cut the stepper shafts and cut notches in the box so it can fold.

And just showing how the two nema 14 steppers avoid hitting eachother.

I had to custom order the nema14s and they are beasts, 2A with 2.5mH inductance. I will be running at 36V with 2:1 reduction so hopefully they will be okay.

Downloads
    Uploads

To add portability to an already beautiful project just puts this over the top. Nice work to say the least.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow.. will you be selling those? I want one!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The machine looks great! I look forward to seeing what you make with it.

Do you mind going into a little more detail about what you did with your spindle and why?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Been a long day and I'm super tired but I'll post a teaser picture. The clearances are hilariously tight, almost every critical piece has 2mm of clearance in the CAD and it seems to work in real life as well.

Probably too much work went into this guy to make it economical to sell. I can put the CAD files up though.

DRock: My g0704 spindle has gone through a bearing replacement (exactly as hoss describes). I then mounted a 25 tooth pulley on the spindle and a 50 tooth pulley on a DMM-Tech 1.5KW servo.

I plan on completely redoing that whole section. When I remove the 5th axis I will put in two sets of timing pulleys for a high and low gear, as well as leave room for a power drawbar and such.

The servo appears to have more than enough power for the g0704. Have not tried rigid tapping yet but I might need a second encoder directly on the spindle depending on how much the belt stretches.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cut a plexiglass table just for show:

The table is about 12x18 which is too large for me to really handle myself. I ended up getting it waterjetted by a local machine shop. They charged me 73$ for the job which is actually less than I would have spent on a similar piece of plate.

I'll still need to tap and counterbore the holes, and I'll run a facemill over the top as well.

Working on mounting the electronics:

And the current state of things. Excuse the poor pictures, I had horrible lighting:

Still a fair deal of work to be done, the electronics are not entirely finished and I need to fully enclose them as well to prevent chips from causing problems. Also need to build a spindle.

The case weighs about 42lb with the aluminium table. Pretty damn heavy, but still "portable".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want one!!!!! its like 007 meets machinist with a little bit of thomas crown affair. great work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

007, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe something that Q carries into the field to fix stuff that Commander Bond breaks.

Downloads
    Uploads

What are the various electronic boards? I see a Kflop and what looks like a driver board with 4 Polulu drivers (3 with heatsink), but what are the other boards for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

man I tell ya what people just amaze me!! Beautiful work Ryan !!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main board is a KFlop, then there are 4 "breakout" boards, all just wires on protoboard.

As you noticed, the red board has slots for 4 pololu drivers for axes XYZA. The green board handles home/limit switches, the white board handles the control panel, and finally the blue board just connects everything to the KFlop.

I'm having a bit of trouble with wire management, I'm not entirely sure how I will get power to the steppers in a way that folds up easily and stays out of the way in use. Unfortunately, there isn't room for cable chain.

The only option I can come up with is just having a few feet of cable going to each stepper and just watching so it doesn't get caught.

Downloads
    Uploads

Flippin heck that really is an outstanding build Ryan and as you said earlier...all in a flight case....

Quote Originally Posted by punisher454 View Post
    007, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe something that Q carries into the field to fix stuff that Commander Bond breaks.
    I'd love to see the face on the chap at airport security when you plonk that thing on the x-ray conveyor belt

Eoin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got my hands on a camera again. All the electronics have been finished and tested, I was just waiting on some high-flex cable to connect the steppers. The cable arrived today and the mill should be moving in a few hours.

The spindle is mostly finished, I need to mount it to the mill and make the pulleys.

The spindle is essentially a direct clone of matec54's build here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...dle_build.html

I made some changes to the design since I am not using a matched pair of bearings so my nuts lock like the ones on a g0704 spindle.

The spindle is aluminium and uses a preloaded AC pair of bearings at the front, and a deep groove bearing at the back preloaded by a spring washer. It uses an ER8 collet chuck. The motor is a 400W hobby brushless and I plan on hitting 16K -20K RPM.

There should be enough room for the wires when the mill is folded, but it will take a bit of work to make sure the wires dont get caught or crushed while the box closes.
    The blue tube is for compressed air. I have a solenoid with the electronics so I am hoping to have air blast cooling to keep chips from building up.

You can see a lot of cracking in the acrylic sheet in the photos. I will have to redo it in lexan or aluminium.

Downloads
    Uploads

That little machine is beautiful! I particularly like those lighted buttons! Do you mind telling me where you got those?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    That little machine is beautiful! I particularly like those lighted buttons! Do you mind telling me where you got those?
    They are 19mm vandal switches. You can get them off ebay by searching "19mm switch":
    19mm switch | eBay

Pricing varies a lot, and sometimes a certain color will be way cheaper than others. If you pop the switches open you can change the LED, it takes about half an hour.

I bought a pair of yellow switches and put in RGB leds so both switches are full RGB and change color depending on what the mill is doing.

You can also get them larger/smaller (21mm, 16mm...) but I've found that 16mm is uncomfortably small and hard to press.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome. I think I'll pick some of those up for my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    Illuminated Pushbuttons, Poker VLT Buttons, Replacement Button Sets, LED Lamps and Custom Artwork

Here's another source....didn't check the price difference from ebay but the rectangular smallto medium sized look good.

Eoin

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast