BF-20 CNC Conversion

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BF-20 CNC Conversion

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking BF-20 CNC Conversion

Hello!

I recently bought a Optimum BF-20 Vario mill and intend to convert it to CNC!

So far i have only made the mounting plates for the x-axis and will start making the y-axis tomorrow... I'm going to use the standard leadscrews to begin with so i'll make my own custom Oldham type couplers as you can see in the pictures.

When i get the mill running under CNC control i will make better stepper mounts and replace the bearings with angular contact ball bearings. And later i'll buy ballscrews. I don't want to start with that because i have to modify the base and the y axis carriage to fit the nuts.

I'll take some photos when i have made the couplers!

/Jay

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF-20 CNC Conversion-bf-20_vario-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-y-axis-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-x-axis-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I am making a set for converting the BF20 to CNC as well. I have finished my initial designs, have included some pictures of it. The kit will become available at www.damencnc.nl after testing is finished. The parts will be made from laser cut stainless steel plates. Covers are in the making so work can be done with coolant.
    I had some question about your design, which is interesting:
    Are you using the motors coupled directly to the axis? Don't you have problems with resolution? Even with microstepping, a direct connection often causes problems unless huge steppermotors are used.
    I am using belts so that smaller motors can be used... Have runs mills like these with 1.5 to 2nm motors and they work great..

Greetings, Kevin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF-20 CNC Conversion-x-axis-asm-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-y-axis-asm-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-z-axis-asm-jpg  

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes i'm doing a direct coupling... Its just a temporary setup that i can make all parts on the manual mill I have read that steppers is best with direct coupling because of the torque curve.. You don't gain so much (if nothing) with gearing because the stepper have to run faster and the torque of it goes down.

I have 2,2Nm steppers and plan to counterbalance the head to be able to use them for Z too! (not the fine feed)

/Jay

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is some pictures of the mounting plates (The front Y plate is not shown)! This is the first parts i have ever made on a mill so they are not pretty But then again... Its only temporary parts until i get the mill converted. Can't wait! Hate to turn those hand wheels

/Jay

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF-20 CNC Conversion-mill-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-y-axis-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-x-axis-jpg  

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

By the way... I really need to build a bench for the mill... The table that i use now is very unstable, and i didn't want to drill bolt holes in it so i just clamped the mill to it with MDF boards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

been using a stepper converted opti BF20 for about 2 years now:
    http://www.anderswallin.net/2004/11/...g-of-mdf-plug/

note stack of counterweights we use behind the machine as we have coupled the Z-motor to drive up/down the whole spindle box.

the DC motor burned out during a longer run so had to replace it
    http://www.anderswallin.net/2005/11/...ew-opti-motor/

I find the stock leadscrews and the dovetail guides are really limiting the precision that can be achieved. With backlash compensation it now runs accurate to about +/- 0.05mm in the Z axis and probably a little better for X and Y.

another problem is the center accuracy of the spindle. we now have something like 0,05mm of eccentricity which is no good for vibration/surface finish.
    this might be way better on a new machine as we have done maybe 10-15 long (4-5h)runs in steel/alu which might have damaged the spindle or the bearings a little...

If I remember correctly the steppers are 280 Ncm torque and they are driven by geckodrives running off a 70 V powersupply.
    max feed when cutting wood is about 1000mm/min, for aluminium 300-600mm/min with very light cuts.

well, I guess you get what you pay for. I think we paid 1300eur or something for the mill, MK2 collets, some endmill, fixture kit etc...

I'm now planning a new bigger machine with linear guides+ballscrews...

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen your page before! I'm not planning on using this machine for very long... One of the major reasons i bought is was to be able to design and build linear actuators and structual parts for a hexapod... Perhaps i sell this when i'm done

/Jay

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made the torque disc and one part of the coupler today, nice fit to the leadscrew/key and the disc... Should be no backlash in the coupler when i'm done!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF-20 CNC Conversion-diy-coupler-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, this is nice.

I'm also working on a BF-20 CNC conversion. I'm going the Servo way using homebrew servo controllers (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217)

I may be using 1:3 reduced Dunkermotor 63x55 on the X and Y axis and a 1:3 reduced Dunkermotor 80x80 on the Z axis. Another option is to leave the planetary gearboxes (1:7) on and use them that way.
    Dunkermotor 63x55 is 100W 3500RPM 0,27Nm continuous
    http://www.dunkermotoren.de/data/tec...x55.pdf#page=1
    Dunkermotor 80x80 is 240W 3500RPM 0,62Nm continuous
    http://www.dunkermotoren.de/data/tec...x80.pdf#page=1
    They run @ 40V and have 500CPR encoders which gives me a theoretical resolution of 6000 pulses per main spindle revolution. When the conversion is complete I'll have built in 16x5 Ballscrews in X and Y and 25x5 ballscrew in Z giving me a resolution of 0,001mm. Which is way more than the accuracy of the machine.

Conversion will first use the standard spindles and when all is working the way I want I'll get me those $$$$ ballscrews.

When completely done I'll be able to get rapids up to 6m/min (100mm/s). With the planetary gearboxes this should still be 42mm/s which is also more than adequate.

I'm still deciding which way to go. The gearboxes are quite heavy. To hang those from the table is not very desirable since it may start to hang causing extra wear. Motor with gearbox is 3,4kg!

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

I'll see how this thread goes.

Erik Jan

What goes down, should come up.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

What ballscrews/nuts will you use? I made a solid model of the mill to try out the possibilities of ballscrew conversion and there is not a lot of space! :P Will you modify the Y "carriage"? and/or the base? I have been thinking of trying to build DIY rollerscrews that would fit the current space!

Interesting about the controller! To bad i already have the steppers hehe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll use Isel ball screws.
    If you can read German I suggest you read the thread
    "Optimum BF20 Vario gesucht, gefunden!" in Hobby Machinen on www.cncecke.de registration required.
    You'll find a wealth of information regarding the machine including mainetance, bearing replacement, ballscrew conversion, cnc conversion both with steppers and with servo's.
    Their is a complete documentation of a ball screw conversion including photo's by Thomas74 that I recommend you read.

Erik Jan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Erik Jan,

Dunkermotor 63x55 is 100W 3500RPM 0,27Nm continuous doesn't sound like a lot for 240 inches/min on a BF20. Also what about backlash in the gear reduction system.

Or do I misundestand something.

Phil

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It will have a reduction of 1:3 or 1:7 (haven't decided yet). With 1:3 this makes about 0,9 Nm continuous torque (not just holding torque) but real usable Nm's
    At 1:7 its about 2Nm which should be plently.
    Backlash is almost impercievable (do you write that like this???) in the gearboxes. And it will be a constant backlash since the wear in the gears will be immeasurably small. This makes it just a setting in the software.
    Starting torque (comparable to the holding torque of steppers) is 2Nm for the 63x55 and the 80x80 has 6,2Nm.

Erik Jan

Last edited by ejkoeze; 12-20-2005 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Info added

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been browsing that forum before (just for pictures as i don't read German) hehe

What do those motors cost?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New around E300,- each but I bought myself a bucket full (4xDunker 63x55 (with 1:7gearboxes) and 1x Dunker 80x80 (with 1:20 worm gear) ) with 3 500CPR (2000 pulses per rev) encoders for E25 or something like that.
    It's a matter of what available I guess.

Check ebay for DC Motor or dc servo and encoder to check prices.

Erik Jan

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Changed to a better worktable! Not as stable as i want but it was free

I really need to get started on the controllers!

(As you can see on the windows its pretty cold, -35 Degrees C )

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF-20 CNC Conversion-worktable-jpg   BF-20 CNC Conversion-steppers-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

-35degrees brrr..

doesnt that bother your mill ??

nice work y the way

i'll be beginning my project somewhere in februari.
    i'll be sure toopost some pics by then

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its about 8+ in the garage when it is that cold outside... Like working in the fridge I will order the electronics as soon as i get a little cash over Need to fix the pc too!

/Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

could working in a cold(0degrees celsius) environment hurt machinery

thats funny jbv i got the pc and the machine but no steppers yet
    we should a teamed up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Irondigit,

We too could team up. Got a HBM BF20 and live in the Netherlands too.
    Got the machine, the servo's and the first controllerboard ready.

Anxious to see it running.

Erik Jan

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast