Flood Coolant... how to wire it? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flood Coolant... how to wire it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Flood Coolant... how to wire it?

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Hi Steve

I expect both of the 2 Ground terminals (marked in post 59) will be connected to the printer port Ground and the 5V power supply negative terminal - a quick resistance check will confirm this

assuming you keep pins 2 to 9 for controlling 4 axis
    Put my new handy dandy Klein multimeter [ cuz I broke my el cheapo Harbor Freight unit lol ] to the test, put one end on the 5v DIN rail power supply V- / GND and one the GND closest to PIN 1 - Beeep

Moved the probe over to the GND between PIN 16 & 17 - BEEP ! So it seems commonality - I will check the LPT ports PIn assignment and find what pin the GND is on and check that further.

Then this happens ... checking for continuity and doing my level best to keep this stuff "isolated" on the output into the C11GR from Power supplies AND out to the KBMM-125 - as per the manuals dire warnings.

This may be supposed to be happening - Im not too sure ... kinda makes sense it would in one way - but then I really dont know if this is OK.

yes your are correct about the pin 17 conflict

relay 3 can only be controlled by either pin 1 or 17 (so pin 1 can only control relay 3 or the SSR ?)

but the charge pump needs to use pin 17 !! ( had forgotten about that)
    Well PIN 1 is now wired to the SSR for coolant power and the Jumper is set for Relay 3 to use 17 AND .... SCHP jumper is set to Enabled - so I hope its ok as is. My luck - not so much.

the PWM to analogue converter is connected to pin 14

if you select international mode

pin 14 also switches on relay1

pin 16 can control relay 2 , which you can use for some thing other than reversing the treadmill motor

John

with my pipe dreams of using Mach3 and this board to magically reverse the motor shattered by reality and revelations gleaned here in this thread - Ive moved onto a forward only, uni-direction reality :-) I shall try and exist in a threadmilling universe devoid of rigid tapping [ for the time being ] ... So, that leaves me with Relay 2 and PIn 16 ...

Honestly still havent been able to fully wrap my head around the whole US vs. Int'l Mode and why one even needs these two setups / configurations? Thats said based upon my situation here with ports pins and controllers etc ... you feel like my best option for this is the INT'L settings? Im really trying to understand their purpose - will do some research and C11GR manual decryption...

Thanks again sir - gentlemen and scholar and all that ...

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-c11grboard_001-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

I suspect the US v International thing is for historical reasons

with 2 groups working independently in the US & UK
    I guess there was a 50: 50 chance they would decided to control the motor the same way or not

first relay for forward and second relay for reverse
    or
    first relay for on / forward and both relays for reverse

if the C11G has the same printer port connector wiring as the C10 BOB

I would expect the metal shell and pins 18 to 25 to be connected to the negative 5V terminal and the printer port ground

pin 17 is not connected to pins 18 -25 on the BOB as you normally expect but is used to detect the printer cable is connected

John

PS

In the past I have had to double check when working on US made equipment
    like Ampex VPR2 one inch video recorders and Grass Valley vision mixers (you call vision mixers switchers in USA )

the old UK mains wiring was red = live (240V) & black = neutral
    while the US wiring was white = neutral and black = live (120V)

NOTE- the earth leakage currents will be reduced when connecting an EMI filter
    to the American 240V mains supply if your machine can be connected that way
    Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-emi-filter-jpg
    compared to the unbalanced US 120 or UK 240V supply
    Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-emi-filter-unbalanced-supplies-jpg

here in the UK I don't know who the bright spark was that decided to adopt the european wiring colour codes

but now 3 phase wiring has changed from red, yellow blue for the 3 phases plus black as the neutral

to the new colours that are now brown , black , grey for the 3 phases and blue as the neutral

OK unless the building has a mix of old and new wiring !!!!

Last edited by john-100; 12-30-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add ref to EMI filters

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you get your smoothstepper you can use a 2nd breakout board. So don't be too worried about running out of pins on this BOB. You can just get a cheap one without all the relays, charge pump, and 0-10v out. Like the c10s or c13.

Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    When you get your smoothstepper you can use a 2nd breakout board. So don't be too worried about running out of pins on this BOB. You can just get a cheap one without all the relays, charge pump, and 0-10v out. Like the c10s or c13.

I have a C10 in my box o' goodies - I had no plans to use - LOL guess that could work eh ? Happy day!

Ive got this one - it says C10 R 11.1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-img_20170921_154709515_hdr-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update 12/30/2017 : Big Boy Pantalone's ON - Controller Box Power ON - "It's Aliiiiive!"

NO/None/Nada... wicked, not so magic smoke either !!!

Hats off to all the kind gents who gave enlightenment, wisdom. confirmation, inspiration and had patience putting up with so many of my rookie DAQ's.

SKMetal7
    CNC4XR7
    BIG BIG john-100 [ man ...what an ACE! ]
    Automation Technologies
    CNC4PC
    .. many others Im sure

Humbled, Happy moment ... its all working and not smoking. Still a good ways to go yet but major milestone here...

Spindle Key Lock out switch - works like a champ
    E-Stop - does its duty like a Boss
    C2 - 110v Contactor does too [ man that thing is kinda violent - lol
    Holding circuit / safety feature - rocks it - Sam - CNC4XR7 - you da man brother - great setup
    Remote Panel [ yellow rectangle box ] working good - needs a coolant on / off rocker switch / a 90* liqui-tight cable gland / and a DIN or other type plug to finish off a few loose wires... WOOT ... That thing is a Cable / Conducter-A-Palooooza

Ive got a rather strong audible Clicking / Buzz coming off the C11GR BoB though - its Relay 3.... Which I may have a conflict due to the enabled SCHP - as it uses PIN 17 ... and Relay 3's jumper set to PIN 17 .... Relay 3 alternatively can be jumpered to PIN 1 [ PIN 17 or 1 are the only two options ] - but I have PIN 1 and a GND setup to control Coolant Power via SSR Relay.

Something is funky though ... as - when I disconnect the KBMM-125s main AC Line IN to the KBMM-125 - the Buzzing Sound ceases. All this of course makes the assumption that this card is NOT supposed to be "buzzing" ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-20171230_130040-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

if you are using pin 1 for the SSR and pin17 for the SCHP
    the third option is just take off the jumper for relay 3

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

if you are using pin 1 for the SSR and pin17 for the SCHP
    the third option is just take off the jumper for relay 3

John

Thanks John ...

Just tried that ... still buzzin. Jumper selector for Relay 3 - is bare - no jumper on it at all ... still buzzin.

Red Light behind Relay #2 is lit RED.

I have SCHP enabled atm ... and no Mach3 setup or connected at Parallel Port - DUOH! I shall disable SCHP for the moment and see what I get.

more to follow...

Thanks man

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSoCalCNC View Post
    Thanks John ...

Just tried that ... still buzzin. Jumper selector for Relay 3 - is bare - no jumper on it at all ... still buzzin.

Red Light behind Relay #2 is lit RED.

I have SCHP enabled atm ... and no Mach3 setup or connected at Parallel Port - DUOH! I shall disable SCHP for the moment and see what I get.

more to follow...

Thanks man

SCHP disabled .. yields same results buzzing and red light on relay 2...

Currently set INT'L mode ... gunna try US and see if that shuts one of these relays up :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

relay 2 and not relay 3

2 questions
    how have you assigned the signals on pins 14 & 16 ??
    and have you set the jumper to US mode or International ??

it looks like the C11G will become another project like the older C10 I did this from online photos

Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-c10-o-jpg

the circuit made it possible to see how it worked without having a board to test
    and add a resistor or two to answer a question when there was a conflict when most inputs required the jumper on pullup
    but one required pull down !!!

john

PS

relay 2 is on in both modes when pins 14 & 16 are high (high is +5V)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

relay 2 and not relay 3

2 questions
    how have you assigned the signals on pins 14 & 16 ??
    and have you set the jumper to US mode or International ??

it looks like the C11G will become another project like the older C10 I did this from online photos

the circuit made it possible to see how it worked without having a board to test
    and add a resistor or two to answer a question when there was a conflict when most inputs required the jumper on pullup
    but one required pull down !!!

john

Ding Ding Ding ... we have a weiner !!!

Switched the jumpers over to US Mode - nothing wired to Relay 2 so ... I guess my slow process of deduction and your ace knowledge of a smoke free environment ... ended up near the same place.

She's no longer making a PEEP ! No RED light for Roxanne or Relay 2 ....

Hurrrray !

I think we have it sorted for the most part ... more voltage testing ensues and updates to follow.

Well done Circuit Maestro John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris ,

use one of the relays on the C11G beakout board to switch the 12v supply to the 12V relay coil ( automotive relay ?)

a diode can be connected across the 12v relay coil to reduce the arcing
    when the breakout boards relay switches off

John
    Hey John...
    How do you turn on off the relay on the C11. I want to use the relay that say Pin1 or pin17 controls it. So if I jumper the board to have Pin1 control it, do I just have Mach turn on Pin1 with the flood pump output...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi truckeic

I have not seen a C11G board close up to analyse as I did with the C10 board

looking at the C11G manual the 2 relays are controlled by printer port pins 1 & 16

Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-c11g-relay-control-pins-1-16-jpg

manual
    C11GR8_2_USER_MANUAL.pdf

so far I have not found any reference to removable jumpers to disable the onboard relays to use pins 1 &16 for other functions such as step and direction for a 5th or 6th axis

you will need to assign pin 1 and / or pin16 in Mach 3 or what ever control software your using

John

Last edited by john-100; 03-15-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add ref to assigning pins 1 & 16

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSoCalCNC View Post
    Ding Ding Ding ... we have a weiner !!!

Switched the jumpers over to US Mode - nothing wired to Relay 2 so ... I guess my slow process of deduction and your ace knowledge of a smoke free environment ... ended up near the same place.

She's no longer making a PEEP ! No RED light for Roxanne or Relay 2 ....

Hurrrray !

I think we have it sorted for the most part ... more voltage testing ensues and updates to follow.

Well done Circuit Maestro John
    I am just reading this issue with relay 2 buzzing and coming on. I have just hooked up my C11G board and my Relay 2 will Buzz and come on whenever the board is not Green status. Once the board goes green it shuts up.

Guy at CNC4PC told me that if i set jumper 1 to INT and Jumper 2 to US which gives me the use of Relay 2 for my spindle light. Did you guys ever figure out why this relay buzzes and has red on light? Getting VERY frustrated with this board.

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Downloads
    Uploads

which version of the C11G board do you have ?

are you using the chargepump connected to pin 17 to disable the outputs until the PC is running Mach 3 ?

John

Downloads
    Uploads

which version of the C11G board do you have ?

are you using the chargepump connected to pin 17 to disable the outputs until the PC is running Mach 3 ?

John
    I have Rev 9 the latest one. I am using the charge pump option on pin 17.
    This board is weird..
    If I estop or lose pc control, anytime I don't have the green status light.
    Relay 2 chatters.. and the relay is on. As soon as I reset things and get green status..
    All is good.
    I am using analogue out to control spindle.
    I am using relay 2 for my spindle light..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I have not found any high resolution pictrures of the C11G rev9 board to be able to reverse engineer it

my first thought of the possible logic for the jumpers for relays 1 & 2

Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-c11g-r9-possible-relay-jumper-logic-jpg

thinking about the charge pump circuit and the output status + output enable

this is an initial thought of the C11G rev9 board

Flood Coolant... how to wire it?-possible-c11g-r9-schematic-jpg

if the PWM signal is used to generate the analogue DC to control the spindle speed and switch on a relay

I would expect the PWM signal must be stretched to control the relay without the relay buzzing

not sure why

" anytime I don't have the green status light. Relay 2 chatters.."

but its possible when 74ACT245 buffer in the PWM signal path is disabled
    the pin 14 connection to the relay jumper is left floating and is picking up stray 50/60Hz mains hum

what happens when printer port cable is disconnected ?

if the relay stops buzzing what happens when the C11G rev9 board ground to the DB25 is connected to the PC printerport DB25 ground ?

John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234