Build Thread My G0704 CNC conversion adventure - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My G0704 CNC conversion adventure

Downloads
    Uploads

Testing the controller on the Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFA4AzsSwVo]CNC Mill g0704 controller testing - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the Z moving tonight...the best I could do is 200IPM without stalling....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-P78WGVpuM&list=UUIp-UmTBpWPPvTTFZOvRO_Q&index=1&feature=plcp]g0704 cnc z axis test - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which type of coupler did you use for your Z axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Signal9 View Post
    Which type of coupler did you use for your Z axis?
    I used oldham couplers from misumi.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    Got the Z moving tonight...the best I could do is 200IPM without stalling....

There you go, that's looking better.
    A good start, you can tweak it later once everything is finished.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! You have more guts than I do! 120IPM still gives me heartburn trying to make sure I didn't miss a tool offset somewhere.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Today was certainly an adventure...I worked on the Y axis. I had to make a trip to the store to get a 9/64 alan key so I could take the billy mount for the y apart. I needed to take the tube off so I could transfer punch a hole for the bottom on the mill. Someone needs to teach this boy how to drill a hole at 90deg angles in both vertical and horizontal. I was off a bit but able to make it work by slightly elongating the bottom hole in the y stepper mount.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3633-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3634-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3637-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

When I got it mounted I noticed that the channel the cut is not centered. I'm not sure if that is normal or not? The ballnut is very close and I may need to grind that side down a bit in spots.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3630-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3631-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3632-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3638-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I should also mention that I will not be able to mount the Y ballnut as pictured I am going to have to turn it around as it will not work as pictured. This means I'll have to do a little grinding under the front to clear the nut.

Also my screw would have been better if it was 1cm longer. As it stands now if I move the Y till it hits the column the screw will be about 1/8" out at the end of the threads. This isn't a big deal as the wiper is on the ballnut is around 1/8" thick and I plan to setup an end stop with about 1/8" clearance. But still I would have rather made the screw longer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good pictures and info on your build.

Ive got billy mounts so your build is a great help.
    Im just waiting on my screws now!

Keep it up and thank you

John

John [url]http://www.avextra.co.uk[/url] [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html"]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got the Y done. I had to do a lot of grinding with a small die grinder to get the clearances I needed. I had to grind a small amount on one side of the hole channel. I also needed to grind a bit underneath so the ballnut would clear (as pictured). I was able to do all the grinding without having to take the mill off the table. I measured and I have about 8" of travel (7.5" to be safe). I need to double check that my ballnut mount will fit in the table. Then I will be on to the X axis. I need to call in some help from my machinist friend for that.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments...also special thanks to Hoss and Jeremy who have patiently answered all my questions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3640-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3644-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3645-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3646-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've made a fair amount of progress last night and tonight. I have the x almost complete. I fit the shafts into the bearings. I went to tighten the nut on the ballscrew where the coupler is. It was then that I realized I needed a spacer as the nut will hit the X moun. I chucked some aluminum round bar in my lathe and made a spacer of about 19mm OD with 12mm ID about 5mm thick. It worked perfect. That mini lathe sure came in handy.

Then I got busy prepping the ballscrew nut for grinding. I used one of the tubes I 3d printed to remove it from the ballscrew. I then taped it up to keep the grinding dust out. I started grinding and one side of the flange flat. I ground it till it got warm. I set a timer for about 12 minutes and would let it cool...then again for a short grinding session making sure it did not get too hot. I think I had about 5 to 6 of these grinding sessions before I was complete. I took a very slight amount off the the round part as well. I don't think I needed to do that as I seemed to have a fair amount of clearance when I tested it. I don't think I took enough off to weaken it enough to cause any problems in the future. Worst case I buy a new ballnut and grind again. Grinding wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's not pretty but not to worry as I won't be able to see it when I get it together

All that is left to do now is to get the clearance for the ballnut milled into the saddle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3649-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3650-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3651-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3655-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

What is the best way to remove the head?
    By opening the central Bolt (and on the BF20 it's an 18mm head) and removing the adjusting nut (16mm BF20) simply just pivot the head from left to right on it's axis and pull at the same time and hey presto it's off...."BUT" remember the darn thing is heavy and you could wrench your back fast so maybe resting the head on a block of wood would take the pressure off...!

When I got it mounted I noticed that the channel the cut is not centered. I'm not sure if that is normal or not? The ballnut is very close and I may need to grind that side down a bit in spots.
    Yup I had similar trouble so it seems that yup this is normal and on the BF the Leadscrew is clooser to the left too so that side of the base needs grinding or machining, and as you are getting the saddle machined for the X axis ballscrew and now you also have your Mill disassembled a suggestion would be to get the machine bed machined so as to increase your Y axis travell too.... but maybe Billy's Y Stepper Mount casing may prohibit extra travell so measure it first..!, as I made my own mounts I have no experience with Linearmotion's mounts...

............. I chucked some aluminum round bar in my lathe and made a spacer of about 19mm OD with 12mm ID about 5mm thick. It worked perfect. That mini lathe sure came in handy.
    Good thinking

Then I got busy prepping the ballscrew nut for grinding...........I took a very slight amount off the the round part as well............I don't think I took enough off to weaken it enough to cause any problems in the future.
    I did the same too and I've had no problems with it yet, I used a Carbide endmill to remove some of the Ballnut rather than grinding simply I just didn't want the hastle so I machined it and so I dismantled the Mill countless times and put it back together again darn pain in the a** and I don't know if this is any good to you!, but I have converted a BF20 which is similar to the G0704 and have a look at my earlier posts as I too had similar obstacles as yourself....http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ion_using.html

Keep the pics and progress flowing it's a brilliant thread thanks for sharing and sorry too for not replying to your two posts above sooner but things kinda gone a bit haywire here and I've not looked in to the forum as often as I wanted lately unfortunately but best of luck and keep posting......

Last edited by Mad Welder; 01-28-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling check
    Eoin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I fit the shafts into the bearings. I went to tighten the nut on the ballscrew where the coupler is. It was then that I realized I needed a spacer as the nut will hit the X moun. .
    Any chance you could elaborate a bit on this for me as Ill be converting mine soon, I have billy's mounts and just waiting on screws to land.
    A pic on this would be spot on but if too much trouble dont worry

Cheers
    John

John [url]http://www.avextra.co.uk[/url] [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html"]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    Any chance you could elaborate a bit on this for me as Ill be converting mine soon, I have billy's mounts and just waiting on screws to land.
    A pic on this would be spot on but if too much trouble dont worry

Cheers
    John

Hi John,

I have attached a couple of pics. One of where the spacer needs to go and and another of the spacer I made.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3658-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3659-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

@Mad Welder- Thanks for the input and the kind comments. I checked out your thread. You did very nice work on yours.

On my head I had a set screw in the side that I needed to remove to get the head off. Yes it is heavy

Good idea on getting the base machined to allow for extra travel. The mount billy made should support it.

I was going to use the mill to take the flange of the x ballnut. A lot of people suggested grinding and by the time I got to it I had the mill taken apart so had no choice but to grind.

Thanks for your comments! Keep them coming

Downloads
    Uploads

I finished wiring the x and y steppers yesterday and now I am at the mercy of someone else to get my saddle milled. I wish I had access to another mill. I am planning to cut the pocket for the x ballnut with a 1" ballnose. I will make the pocket about 29mm wide and about 35mm long. I need to go a bit over 5mm deep to get the clearance I need. Right now the ballscrew lightly rubs the saddle. It actually left a convenient center line for me to use. I am going to run a 7/8" ballnose mill down the line very shallow to allow the screw to clear.

Hopefully I will be able to get my machinist friend to help me out sometime next week.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I have attached a couple of pics. One of where the spacer needs to go and and another of the spacer I made.
    Thanks for that, make it clear for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm working on some other things while waiting to get my saddle milled.

Today I designed a cover for the hole where the hand crank for the z went. Also pictured are the covers I made to protect the inside of the Billy stepper mounts from swarf (more relevant on the x and y). They just swivel open and closed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3661-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3664-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3665-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3666-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3667-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a wireless CNC pendant for mach 3. Hoss posted a video to the wired version and I found a wireless version of the same for $40 more. I've been using the xbox 360 controller with the mach 3 plugin to control my mill but have been wanting something better. I should be able to share this between the 2. I hope it works well and is reliable.

3 axis wireless remote pendant Mach 3 for CNC router engraving machine for Mach3 | eBay

Now the wait begins...I don't expect it to get here anytime soon as there will be a big back log in China because of the Chinese new year break. Pretty much all of China is shut down and when it opens up again the mail system is overloaded there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-pendant-jpg  

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast