Build Thread My G0704 CNC conversion adventure

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: My G0704 CNC conversion adventure

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My G0704 CNC conversion adventure

I'm starting my g0704 conversion. I bought the conversion DVD from HOSS and the information has been very valuable. I am doing kind of a hybrid conversion and have purchased the parts from Billy. They are very nice!

Many thanks to HOSS for answering my questions and for the g0704 conversion DVD.

I am using HOSS's recommended electronics but have switched the power supply to a transformer based Antek 50V 600W with 12V and 5V regulated supply. I have used an Antek PS in my Joe's hybrid for many years now with very good results.

Components:
    - CNC stepper mounts from Billy
    - 3x Keling KL-6050 Stepper Drivers
    - 3x Keling Nema 23 570 oz-in Steppers
    - c35 breakout board

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3382-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3451-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3422-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3452-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3427-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm starting the build with my controller.

I am using an Antec 300 PC case as the enclosure. I am using a latching control circuit with a contactor to turn the ac on and off on the power supply. See #3 here Contactors and Control Circuits

I have a 3d printer (several) and am designing and printing a lot of the components to customize the controller. I am using openscad to design the parts.

The first component I designed was the mount for the breakout board

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-bob-png   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3427-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3441-jpg  
    Last edited by Xnaron; 12-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The next component I designed was the front panel mount for the on/off switches, pilot light, and emergency stop button. I am very happy with the way it turned out. It fits perfectly and for once I didn't need to print it many times to get it right. I can use screws in the drive bay to mount it in place. Everything lined up perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-fp-png   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3429-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3430-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3431-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3432-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3440-jpg  
    Last edited by Xnaron; 12-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wanted to protect the fan on the top of the case from swarf and other debris so I designed and printed this fan cover.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-fan-png   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3445-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3444-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've mounted the stepper drivers so they will get good cooling.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3441-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3448-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3450-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cool.... waiting for mine

you got yours first!

looking good....I just wish someone would make an economical kit for mounting the motors.....its just to costly for me....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looks good xnaron, is that a reprap printer? it does a very neat job.
    am

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by amyers View Post
    looks good xnaron, is that a reprap printer? it does a very neat job.
    am
    Thanks...yes they are Prusa's that I've modified it to my own specs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3453-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good! I like the detail going on here. I too just purchased a G0704. Who is Billy if I may ask? I would like to check his parts out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by feederic View Post
    Looks good! I like the detail going on here. I too just purchased a G0704. Who is Billy if I may ask? I would like to check his parts out.

thanks...search "g0704" on ebay. His parts should come up if he has any for sale.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I will be following in much of your footsteps here. Less time setting up, more time playing with the final product

Downloads
    Uploads

More progress on the controller. Contactor wired up along with xlr connectors for the steppers. I designed a custom plate for the AC plug and the xlr connectors. I am leaving one spot for another stepper connector. I need to go pick up another xlr connector to plug the hole. I wasn't going to bother with the xlr connectors but I got them cheap enough to make it worthwhile doing and they make for a clean install. I have space for another stepper driver as well. I also made an extension for the c35 parallel port to attach to the outside of the case.

I need to wire the power for the steppers and the bob and fans. I am contemplating doing a custom pcb for power distribution.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-pxlr-png   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3485-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3488-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3492-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3493-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3494-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3495-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice innovation with the push button placement.

Personally I like to keep push button placement a little closer to the machine, especially the E-Stop. On the other hand it does look good! I haven't gotten into 3D printing yet, at least in this case the idea is extendable to other methods including casting.

A question if you will, do you have more info on that power supply? You mentioned 50 volts so I'm assuming it is not a PC power supply.

As to the PC what logic board are you using and for that matter what CNC software?

Sorry for all the questions I'm kinda hoping I can get one of these mills next year and possibly CNC it relatively quickly. I might go a bit larger though hard to say, I have to get it in the cellar you know 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    The next component I designed was the front panel mount for the on/off switches, pilot light, and emergency stop button. I am very happy with the way it turned out. It fits perfectly and for once I didn't need to print it many times to get it right. I can use screws in the drive bay to mount it in place. Everything lined up perfectly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

dang, you need to make me some of those pieces lol. i like that extension for the parallel port.

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks awesome man! keep up the great work!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work so far . I am deffinatley going to look into the fleabay kit . Even though im a machinist I just dont have the desire to make the conversion parts myself . Gota get my electronics into a box for my LMS sx2 so I can sell it and get a G0704 . I might even run it some manually before conversion . I will look forward to being able to hog on aluminum and cut steel . I would like to be able to make molds for various fishing stuff .

Keep up the good work . I will be following your progress .

What are you making all your mounts and plates out of ? Looks like wood laminated with glass or something .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Personally I like to keep push button placement a little closer to the machine, especially the E-Stop. On the other hand it does look good! I haven't gotten into 3D printing yet, at least in this case the idea is extendable to other methods including casting.

A question if you will, do you have more info on that power supply? You mentioned 50 volts so I'm assuming it is not a PC power supply.

As to the PC what logic board are you using and for that matter what CNC software?

Sorry for all the questions I'm kinda hoping I can get one of these mills next year and possibly CNC it relatively quickly. I might go a bit larger though hard to say, I have to get it in the cellar you know 😉
    That isn't the estop for mach...that is the estop for cutting ac power to the power supply. I'll put a logical estop on the machine.

The power supply is a 50v 600watt from antek. It has 12v and 5v supply boards on it as well. The bob is a c35.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    dang, you need to make me some of those pieces lol. i like that extension for the parallel port.
    I'm sure we can work something out

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LatheMaster View Post
    Nice work so far . I am deffinatley going to look into the fleabay kit . Even though im a machinist I just dont have the desire to make the conversion parts myself . Gota get my electronics into a box for my LMS sx2 so I can sell it and get a G0704 . I might even run it some manually before conversion . I will look forward to being able to hog on aluminum and cut steel . I would like to be able to make molds for various fishing stuff .

Keep up the good work . I will be following your progress .

What are you making all your mounts and plates out of ? Looks like wood laminated with glass or something .
    I'm using a 3d printer to make the components for the controller...details earlier in the thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default In industry I'm not sure you would get away with that, IE two separate e-stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    That isn't the estop for mach...that is the estop for cutting ac power to the power supply. I'll put a logical estop on the machine.
    Generally an E-Stop should kill everything that can be driven on the machine. I realize this isn't an OSHA compliant machine but consistent behaviors in E-Stops is something everybody should strive for. An E-Stop that doesn't kill the machine does little good.
    The power supply is a 50v 600watt from antek. It has 12v and 5v supply boards on it as well. The bob is a c35.
    It is great watching your build come together. I hope we will all be seeing parts off this machine soon.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast